Mint linux (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When does this happen. Is it during the initial step while it is loading the first config screen or is it after when it says it is copying the files?

I suspect it is the latter and if so, there is possibly a problem with the hard drive you are trying to install to. This may not be a physical fault but sometimes a hard disk that has previously had windows on it causes problems for a fresh install. This is rare but windows sometimes does some weird crap to the disk which is hard to clear.

Deleted User
Long time since I played with but, are you hoping to create a dual boot and retain windows?
If not first thing id try to is format the windows drive so you're working with a clean slate. Preferably done without Windows loaded, if you are able to remove the drive and connect it to another computer I'd wipe it this way (so theres no remanence of Windows left anywhere on the drive).

Or you can just create a bootable copy of Linux on your flash drive, thats how i use it. Always useful to have a Linux OS on flash drive so I can still access even the worst failures that occur on Windows machines. (Youd also be to format the Windows drive this way too, without any of the Windows files being accessed for a clean format).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
When does this happen. Is it during the initial step while it is loading the first config screen or is it after when it says it is copying the files?

I suspect it is the latter and if so, there is possibly a problem with the hard drive you are trying to install to. This may not be a physical fault but sometimes a hard disk that has previously had windows on it causes problems for a fresh install. This is rare but windows sometimes does some weird crap to the disk which is hard to clear.
Its doing it when its installing the OS, at driver stage. its works ok when I boot from USB.. How can I format the drive using USB?

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
It been a while, but are you not offered the option to format the HD at the initial "which HD do you want to use stage"?

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
I haven't used mint for years, generally use puppy linux on a stick currently using slacko. Gpparted is used for partioning and formating.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Its doing it when its installing the OS, at driver stage. its works ok when I boot from USB.. How can I format the drive using USB?
Sorry for the delay in responding, had a major outage at a datacentre and it caused me many issues.

I was going to suggest using the gparted distro to completely clear the disk. But Aireworth beat me to it.

If it is the bug I think it is, it will take some faffing about. Delete all partitions, create a fresh non NTFS partition and save. format it, then reboot.
If this doesn't clear it you may need to do it again.

If it doesn't clear on the second time round then it probably isn't the bug I think it is.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hmm, not clear at the stage you are having this problem. are you past the partitioning and formatting stage?

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I haven't used mint for years, generally use puppy linux on a stick currently using slacko. Gpparted is used for partioning and formating.

Yeah, I went through Slackware, Debian, Ubuntu onto Mint. Moved back to vanilla Debian a few years back when they moved to a more than once a decade release cadence and had a reasonably full range of packages available.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back