Merlin Bird ID App - Amazing! (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've unashamedly put "Amazing!" in the title just to attract your attention - but this FREE app really is amazing. :)

Created by the Cornell University the app is able to identify birds with surprising accuracy from either their song or a photograph you have taken.

I've only just downloaded it but my brother, a very keen birder, has used the app for a while and confirms it is very accurate, for example identifying a Siskin from its call alone. Obviously, you need to see the bird to be sure and the app shows you a photo of the bird which you can compare with the view through your binoculars to confirm the ID.

Having only just downloaded it I haven't tried the sound ID yet, which uses your device's microphone but I did try the photo ID function. A Black winged stilt it had no problem with so I tried it on something a little trickier. On a trip in Spain to the Monfragüe National Park a few years ago I managed to take a photo of a Cinerous Vulture, also known as the Black Vulture. It looks very like the common Griffon which is everywhere in Spain and to be honest I only know it was a Cinerous because we had a guide with us. :). But the app didn't hesitate with identifying the bird, it came up with the correct answer straight away.

Available free (did I mention that?) in Android and iOS versions it offers different packages and I suggest you go for the Europe one, not just UK as this pack is only slightly bigger. Setting up is a bit of a palaver with an initial email verification process then an account creation but once done it all seems to work.

It does need a bit of space, a bit less than 1Gb with the Europe pack.

I'll be trying the sound function in the coming days. :)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have used this for about 6 months now and pretty much know what bird it is if I can see it but the sound id is amazing as I must admit one bit of bird song is like any other to me , but I have found if you get it working it will come up with some bird then if you concentrate you can hear it and would never be able to discern it otherwise.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I started using it last year on another Funsters recommendation, I've only use on sound appears to work well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Reactions: DBK

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
It is really good, used it in the uk and Madeira and it’s been great

Reactions: DBK
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
On this mornings walk it identified the call of a green woodpecker for me. We couldn’t see the bird but were curious about what was calling. Great app, it has picked up and identified reed warblers and tree creepers just from their singing.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I started using it last year on another Funsters recommendation, I've only use on sound appears to work well.
Me too. I really like it but I was frustrated when it detected a Kingfisher call but I didn’t see it.

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
I used on on recommend from here too 6 months back. Marvellous.

It detected a scouse warbler bird in witherspoon last week too..making a right din she was mid afternoon, i think the bird bath must have been a bit strong that day

Caught and released outside after 5 mins, by the black uniformed catch and release squad followed by a flock of angry birds
(True...u can t beat wethers) :ROFLMAO:

Norfolk Nige

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 4, 2021
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Wiensberg
Exp
Caravanning since 1980, saw the light in 2020
Been using it for the past year. It’s a really good and useful app