Mains and Solar panels not charging (1 Viewer)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I have always read all voltahes by just using the meter making contact with the screw head, which seems pretty accurate.
Yea that's obviously fine..
Just when I was reading one or two earlier posts there were voltages been stated as panel voltages which were low..
Removing the wires rules out any confusion on what you are checking..
Andy..

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
I can understand you would get a 100% correct reading using the wires. I just get tired of seeing the fireworks display when I take mine to pieces:). Therefore I take the lazy way out - and the safer route too I guess. Thanks for the tip.

By the way have removed our drivers seat to our Chausson 626 (2014) on a Ducato, so if they are of any help and yours is similar, I have made a list of points to follow under Resources Section: CHAUSSON 626 (2014) REMOVING DRIVERS SEAT. I seem to remember you mentioned it in one of your notes this Spring.
Saltings

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
I can understand you would get a 100% correct reading using the wires. I just get tired of seeing the fireworks display when I take mine to pieces:). Therefore I take the lazy way out - and the safer route too I guess. Thanks for the tip.

By the way have removed our drivers seat to our Chausson 626 (2014) on a Ducato, so if they are of any help and yours is similar, I have made a list of points to follow under Resources Section: CHAUSSON 626 (2014) REMOVING DRIVERS SEAT. I seem to remember you mentioned it in one of your notes this Spring.
Saltings

I think if you have been getting the fireworks display as you say you have probably killed the controller

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Luckily the display is after I have disconnected the wires and am juggling them, fortunately not when in the controller. Do you have the same solar controller in your Chausson?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I just get tired of seeing the fireworks display when I take mine to pieces:)
LOL.. pull the fuse first and remove the load..(y)
I did make reference in some earlier replies to folk about the weight of the seats... mines on a ford Base ,but a good idea and handy resource. ..
Andy..

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
In your Chausson where are all your fuses located. Have found the ones from the mains/EHU but there must be another set hiding somewhere?

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
In your Chausson where are all your fuses located. Have found the ones from the mains/EHU but there must be another set hiding somewhere?

Your are talking about fuses in the solar charging system I assume..
as it's an aftermarket fit, again an assumption on my part ,the fuse that would normally be installed should be in the +ve line from the controller and usually close to the battery.
Sometimes folk fit a fuse in the +ve from the panel to controller as well but not always..
So to find it you need to follow the wires..
Andy.

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Your are talking about fuses in the solar charging system I assume..
as it's an aftermarket fit, again an assumption on my part ,the fuse that would normally be installed should be in the +ve line from the controller and usually close to the battery.
Sometimes folk fit a fuse in the +ve from the panel to controller as well but not always..
So to find it you need to follow the wires..
Andy.

Hi Andy
You are correct it is an aftermarket fit - 85 if I remember correctly.
I followed the wires and they led through to the battery charger going through a relay (50 Ah) prior to the Mains fusebox first. There is then another relay, 50 Ah, between the Battery Charger and the hab. battery.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Andy
You are correct it is an aftermarket fit - 85 if I remember correctly.
I followed the wires and they led through to the battery charger going through a relay (50 Ah) prior to the Mains fusebox first. There is then another relay, 50 Ah, between the Battery Charger and the hab. battery.

I'm confused..
normally if a solar charging system is fitted it will feed the batteries direct from the solar charge controller,
unless the installer has used existing in built facilities on the vans power supply system or they have used wires that are already connected to the batteries to save them accessing the actual batteries.. the wires from the solar charge controller should go direct to the batteries and be fused in the +ve line close to the batteries..

The relays you are referring to are I think the main security relays that Chausson fit.. in my case both behind the drivers seat.. and can't see why they would be involved in the solar wiring other than as I mentioned above to provide a convenient connection to save getting at the batteries..
Andy.

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Yep, right about the relays being fitted by Chausson - it's all in French so must be them.

My problem is tracing the +ive wire to the hab. batt. as it goes from the controller under the side seat. It means taking a panel off to get to that. When they bring the Chausson back home in September perhaps that is what I shall have to do.

With your solar charger do you connect your wires for the hab. bat. to the two centre contacts (in my case called battery 1)? (The middle two screws.)
Charge%20control1-240x180.jpg

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Hab battery to no 1 engine bat to no 2 connect both of these then solar panel or put a fuse in the positive from solar then just pull this to disconnect solar

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
That was what the manufacturers said. Only thing that threw me was the agent wired them up the opposite way round (70% of power to batt. no. 2 - engine batt.), since when I have changed it. After all the engine also has an alternator.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
My problem is tracing the +ive wire to the hab. batt. as it goes from the controller under the side seat. It means taking a panel off to get to that.
It's a long thread so forgive me,but you have been under the seat and accessed your habit battery I thought...
I may be thinking of someone else..!!! But if you have the wires from the solarge controller may be attached directly to the battery terminals and I would expect to see a fuse close by..
I'm easily confused lol and most probably thinking of someone else..
Andy.

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
Have been under the seat Andy, as we changed the battery over. Certainly did't see any fuse except for one fuse in the front where the plastic flap folds down. I don't have the m/h here as you may have gathered, so just going on my memory of it. luckily I have a picture of it here. The +ive wires pass through it as it is connected to the hab. bat. terminal. The pic. is taken facing back towards the seat, you can see the ventilation towards the bottom of the pic. Is yours the same?
upload_2017-8-23_21-10-25.png

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Have been under the seat Andy, as we changed the battery over. Certainly did't see any fuse except for one fuse in the front where the plastic flap folds down. I don't have the m/h here as you may have gathered, so just going on my memory of it. luckily I have a picture of it here. The +ive wires pass through it as it is connected to the hab. bat. terminal. The pic. is taken facing back towards the seat, you can see the ventilation towards the bottom of the pic. Is yours the same?
View attachment 181562
I don't recognise that large yellow connector so it's not identical to yours ..
What is the large fuse on the red wire ??
You really need the van ... and trace the wires from the solar controller.. in your case two sets.. one set to each battery and would expect each output to be fused...
Andy

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
upload_2017-8-23_21-10-25-png.181562

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
I don't recognise that large yellow connector so it's not identical to yours ..
What is the large fuse on the red wire ??
You really need the van ... and trace the wires from the solar controller.. in your case two sets.. one set to each battery and would expect each output to be fused...
Andy
Hi Andy

Yes I shall wait to September, cannot remember precisely what the yellow connector was. The red wire to the fuse led to the +ve terminal of the hab batt. and I assume back to the battery charger, tho' cna't be 100%.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Andy

Yes I shall wait to September, cannot remember precisely what the yellow connector was. The red wire to the fuse led to the +ve terminal of the hab batt. and I assume back to the battery charger, tho' cna't be 100%.

It could also be the fuse we are on about ...ie the connection from the solar charge controller to the +very terminal of the habit batteries...:) the connection to the charger is likely to be through a connector block as it's original equipment...
That fuse and wiring looks like it's been added so may well be the solar charge controller wire.. what's the fuse rating...??
Andy.

OP
OP
Saltings

Saltings

Free Member
Sep 12, 2016
Buckinghamshire, U.K.
Funster No
MH
Chasson C626 Flash
Exp
since 2115
It could also be the fuse we are on about ...ie the connection from the solar charge controller to the +very terminal of the habit batteries...:) the connection to the charger is likely to be through a connector block as it's original equipment...
That fuse and wiring looks like it's been added so may well be the solar charge controller wire.. what's the fuse rating...??
Andy.
Not certain until I see it again. Are car fuses coded by their colour tho'?

I thought I would ask you about this - a different subject - habitation tests and in particular the use of intrusive damp meters.

Just had a hab. test in June and was astounded to find the Chausson agent had used an intrussive meter so we ended up with 38 pairs (76 holes!) of holes around windows doors etc. had two hab tests before but never this prob. Thought you would appreciate reading the agents reply to my mail, so her it is:

"Firstly I think it important to address your concerns with the type of damp meter we use. You are correct in what you are saying there are two types of damp meter, both of which we have on site here at XYZ Ltd. Although they are both called damp meters they have two slightly different functions. The type without two prongs is generally used to test moisture in the floors of motorhomes and walls of houses, they will pick up moisture at the surface of the material but they are not as accurate as the two pronged meter in question. The two pronged meter we have used for your vehicle is far more accurate and will without fail pick up any moisture inside the wallboard of your motorhome and also gives us the ability to test in the smaller and less accessible parts of a motorhome (of which there are many).

This is not possible with the other kind of meter. We have never had a complaint like this ever. Surely It is a worth while compromise to have a few barely visible holes to ensure there is no moisture present in your motorhome.

As I’m sure you are aware if damp is missed on service or just neglected it can cost thousands to put right, but if caught early is relatively cheap to cure.

If you would like to provide me with names of the other dealers you have contacted which do no use this method I am happy to contact them and explain the reasons why they are not using the correct equipment and may well be leaving themselves open to liable cases if not testing for damp properly."

I am so glad this modest fellow is willing to advise the likes of Brownhills - I am sure they will be grateful!

So I am in the process of trying to get a full refund through the Small Claims Courts with a payment to make good the damage caused. Having a Chausson you can imagine how I felt seeing all those holes.

What are your views re using the meters?

100brian

Free Member
Oct 13, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
since 1990
Not certain until I see it again. Are car fuses coded by their colour tho'?

I thought I would ask you about this - a different subject - habitation tests and in particular the use of intrusive damp meters.

Just had a hab. test in June and was astounded to find the Chausson agent had used an intrussive meter so we ended up with 38 pairs (76 holes!) of holes around windows doors etc. had two hab tests before but never this prob. Thought you would appreciate reading the agents reply to my mail, so her it is:

"Firstly I think it important to address your concerns with the type of damp meter we use. You are correct in what you are saying there are two types of damp meter, both of which we have on site here at XYZ Ltd. Although they are both called damp meters they have two slightly different functions. The type without two prongs is generally used to test moisture in the floors of motorhomes and walls of houses, they will pick up moisture at the surface of the material but they are not as accurate as the two pronged meter in question. The two pronged meter we have used for your vehicle is far more accurate and will without fail pick up any moisture inside the wallboard of your motorhome and also gives us the ability to test in the smaller and less accessible parts of a motorhome (of which there are many).

This is not possible with the other kind of meter. We have never had a complaint like this ever. Surely It is a worth while compromise to have a few barely visible holes to ensure there is no moisture present in your motorhome.

As I’m sure you are aware if damp is missed on service or just neglected it can cost thousands to put right, but if caught early is relatively cheap to cure.

If you would like to provide me with names of the other dealers you have contacted which do no use this method I am happy to contact them and explain the reasons why they are not using the correct equipment and may well be leaving themselves open to liable cases if not testing for damp properly."

I am so glad this modest fellow is willing to advise the likes of Brownhills - I am sure they will be grateful!

So I am in the process of trying to get a full refund through the Small Claims Courts with a payment to make good the damage caused. Having a Chausson you can imagine how I felt seeing all those holes.

What are your views re using the meters?
Hi.
If its a blue fuse they are usually 15amp

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back