Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
I know there was a thread on this in 2016 but wondered if anyone has been round since then. I've seen the filllpg app and notice that there's nothing on the north and west of the route. We are going late April/early May and have a single refillable 11kg tank and a 6kg Calor which we can change if there are Calor sellers on the route. So questions. Has anyone any experience of exchanging Calor bottles on the NC500? And how have people fared with gas usage? We've got plenty of time and expect to take 2 or three weeks.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We went all round and didn’t need to fill our underslung tank but we did stay on C&MC sites at Brora and Dunnet Bay and both of those are listed as having gas and I believe that means bottle exchange, The site at Oban also lists gas.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would think 11kg would see you well through 10 days, we refilled at Dingwall 2 years ago, nice easy access not cheap

West End Filling Station, still shows as a supplier (y)

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
I know there was a thread on this in 2016 but wondered if anyone has been round since then. I've seen the filllpg app and notice that there's nothing on the north and west of the route. We are going late April/early May and have a single refillable 11kg tank and a 6kg Calor which we can change if there are Calor sellers on the route. So questions. Has anyone any experience of exchanging Calor bottles on the NC500? And how have people fared with gas usage? We've got plenty of time and expect to take 2 or three weeks.

We have been trying withoutbsuccess so far, to find out about the Gleaner Garage near Wick. It should be selling autogas but there has been no update since June 2018 on filllpg
We want to get over to Orkneywithout having to detour down towards Inverness and back to get LPG.
We have about the same refillable Tank capacity as you. Most of our overnights will be wilding. Just hoping we dont have to rely on heating as thats what will eat through the gas.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
We have been trying withoutbsuccess so far, to find out about the Gleaner Garage near Wick. It should be selling autogas but there has been no update since June 2018 on filllpg
We want to get over to Orkneywithout having to detour down towards Inverness and back to get LPG.
We have about the same refillable Tank capacity as you. Most of our overnights will be wilding. Just hoping we dont have to rely on heating as thats what will eat through the gas.
If your talking about the Gleaner Garage in Watten (on the Wick to Thurso road) I'm pretty sure they were "advertising" LPG when we passed it by around this time last year. Gleaner website shows they do.
Phone +44 1955 621609

Or try Gleaner themselves - 0800 833 534 or info@gleaner.co.uk

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
@Stagman not sure exactly where you are now but there are a cluster of garages on the A9 north of Inverness selling LPG, still a good way from Wick but about 15 mikes north of Inverness at least (y)

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
@Stagman not sure exactly where you are now but there are a cluster of garages on the A9 north of Inverness selling LPG, still a good way from Wick but about 15 mikes north of Inverness at least (y)

Thanks David. We are still home down south at the moment. We have a list of all the LPG garages and like you say there are a cluster of them around the A9 north of Inverness.
We are doing a slow run accross from Ullapool to Wick, then over to Orkney for best part of a week then a slow tour down the coast towards Inverness.
Not the end of the world blatting down towards Inverness to get more gas then back up, but would be great to get some at Wick.
If we get warm enough weather we might just have enough gas anyway(y)

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
If your talking about the Gleaner Garage in Watten (on the Wick to Thurso road) I'm pretty sure they were "advertising" LPG when we passed it by around this time last year. Gleaner website shows they do.
Phone +44 1955 621609

Or try Gleaner themselves - 0800 833 534 or info@gleaner.co.uk

Yes they were definitely doing it in June last year. thanks will ring them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back