NR

Jun 30, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2019
Hi, another question drawing on ownership experience, as you all know a second battery is a decent chunk of dough but do I need it? I have opted for the following,

Solar panels, with 4 x 130 W maximum power.

Electrical Package "Energy Lithium Power" (instead of serial standard) Lithium-iron-phosphate battery 1 x 340 Ah (discharging level 100% = 340 Ah), combined charger / inverter 120 A / 3.000 W, with power sharing, fully automatic top-class battery protection, premium control panel.

Is it advisable at build stage to add a further "Additional Lithium battery 340 Ah (only combined with electrical package “Lithium Power“, max. 3 batteries in total)"

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi, another question drawing on ownership experience, as you all know a second battery is a decent chunk of dough but do I need it? I have opted for the following,

Solar panels, with 4 x 130 W maximum power.

Electrical Package "Energy Lithium Power" (instead of serial standard) Lithium-iron-phosphate battery 1 x 340 Ah (discharging level 100% = 340 Ah), combined charger / inverter 120 A / 3.000 W, with power sharing, fully automatic top-class battery protection, premium control panel.

Is it advisable at build stage to add a further "Additional Lithium battery 340 Ah (only combined with electrical package “Lithium Power“, max. 3 batteries in total)"

Your opinions are greatly appreciated.
Totally depends on what you want out of your electrical system when off grid. If you are a person who likes to be on sites with a hook-up you're already way over spec required (at considerable cost!) If you want off grid air-conditioning you're probably going to need more!

OP
OP
NR

NR

Jun 30, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2019
In the main we have hook up and occasionally have time at sites with no power, no plans to have air con, but as the fridge runs off the inverter my main concern it to make sure it always has sufficient sustained power.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I have the 4x130w panels and 2x210a lithium, I did look into adding another 2 batteries but it was not as simple as bolting them in and we have managed for over 2 years without them.

We run the electric kettle, air fryer, Remoska and Mrs CCs hair dryer without any problems.
Mixture of sites and off site.

Reactions: NR

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
sounds to me you have plenty, with 340 litihium, 4x130 solar, and 3000w inverter, you probably dont even need hookup unless you are running a mobile sunbed centre :LOL:

I have 400 lithium, with 500w solar and 300w inverter +b2b and hardly ever hook up

Id only add You may wish to add a b2b charger that will also charge you batteries when driving, if you dont have one already.
edit: just seen you have charger

My fridge would use on average about 70-80 per day, and remember your inverter will use some small amount too.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
I have the 4x130w panels and 2x210a lithium, I did look into adding another 2 batteries but it was not as simple as bolting them in and we have managed for over 2 years without them.

We run the electric kettle, air fryer, Remoska and Mrs CCs hair dryer without any problems.
Mixture of sites and off site.
Forgot to say my batteries have only ever gone down to about 220ah and we also go away in winter.

OP
OP
NR

NR

Jun 30, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2019
For 15,000 Euros I hope it charges while driving!!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
In the main we have hook up and occasionally have time at sites with no power, no plans to have air con, but as the fridge runs off the inverter my main concern it to make sure it always has sufficient sustained power.
You need to look up the power consumption of the fridge and do some maths and think of the other electrical stuff you want to run off grid ( hair dryer,coffee maker,TV, chargers etc). Is there a reason you can't get it with one battery and by the sound of it a system that will support up to three) and get an extra one later if it looks like you need it?

OP
OP
NR

NR

Jun 30, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2019
Done that and on paper it looks good especially with the charge rate from solar, just good to get real world experience from owners as I still have the option to factory fit which I believe is always the best option.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Done that and on paper it looks good especially with the charge rate from solar, just good to get real world experience from owners as I still have the option to factory fit which I believe is always the best option.
But unless they use similar appliances to you their experience means nothing!
We had a single 90ah lead acid with no solar for the first 5 years spent a lot of time off grid and never had a flat battery! Probably because we have a gas fridge tend not to watch TV have no inverter and drive every day! To know the amount of storage of anything you need to know the amount you're likely to use and how often you're going to fill it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
For 15,000 Euros I hope it charges while driving!!
You will have the lade-booster at 90 amps, we would call this a B2B👍

Just to add to the responses we have 640 ah LiFePO4 and 4x130 solar, we use most things electric so kettle hair dryer microwave coffee machine and induction hob or remoska, we did 6 nights in the lakes with very little solar and got down to 40% if there is any sun you will have more power than you know what to do with, we have absorber fridge, I know these vans aren’t cheap and the batteries likewise, if it was me I would chuck another one on but would be happy for Josh at Premium to fit one so no rush with the decision, Josh fitted our last two and changed some of the factory set up while he was on.

OP
OP
NR

NR

Jun 30, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2019
Agreed.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Not exactly wall to wall sunshine but a decent day today and we have made 2kwh or 150ah today, thats out of 4x130 watts factory fit panels.

OP
OP
NR

NR

Jun 30, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2019
That is a significant input that validates my rational of installing the four panels.

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
To answer OP question:

It all depends. Depends on how and when you travel, where you park, where you go, and what appliances you use, and if you use a B2B.

If you hook up, you are already way, way over specified, you have 5-10x more power than most.

The massive main things that differentiate needs and consumption is whether you use the van in summer or winter, how often you move, ie run the engine, and whether you regularly use high powered electrical devices like microwave, air con, hairdryers air fryers etc etc, whether your batteries power your fridge, and whether your fridge is 3 way or compressor.

You may as well have asked how long your piece of string should be.

OP
OP
NR

NR

Jun 30, 2023
Lincoln, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 649
Exp
Since 2019
All that is true and I get what you are saying. However, quantitatively I already know the answers to my question, but what I am interested in is peoples real world experience in the same or similar Motorhome. I appreciate your input.

Apr 24, 2018
France
Funster No
MH
2001 Hymer B544
Exp
Since 1992
All that is true and I get what you are saying. However, quantitatively I already know the answers to my question, but what I am interested in is peoples real world experience in the same or similar Motorhome. I appreciate your input.
OK then here goes:

I designed and put in electrical systems to cope with off grid wild camping summer and winter. Every electrical device, fryers, microwaves, a/c, hair dryer, home cinema amp, sub, TV, and loads of lighting.

25/50 integrated B2B/solar MPPT, 600W solar, 2000 Invertor, 200ah lithium - all hardwired and using a 50A ideal diode to discharge the lithiums via the old eleckrrobloc. All works perfect.

You don’t need more than 200ah of lithium and a B2B. Solar is useless in winter, it gives nothing. In summer it gives a lot but you have to be in the sun, which you will quickly find you don’t want to be as the van gets too hot. Solar is, therefore, of much, much more limited use than you may think. I have 600W.

It’s July 1st today and the sun is as powerful as it can be in central france where we are. You know what I got from the 600W of panels today? almost nothing. Because I’m parked under trees to stay cool.

In winter solar is useless. In summer you will be on a site or an aire with hook up, somewhere under a tree, wilding is uncomfortable in summer as the van gets too hot and it’s not safe to sleep with all windows open.

You just need 200ah of lithium and a 50a B2B to charge them quick by running engine when you need to recharge when wilding off EHU. That’s it. Any solar is little more than a bonus.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Like don't forget to factor in that a Morelo will use about 1 amp per hour just doing nothing, the only way to stop this is to shut everything down and trip the battery isolator.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back