LAN not motorhome related. (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
I want to fit a CCTV camera in a remote location that is very challenging to access. For this I chose to use a POE camera and Cat5 cable so I can switch it in a convenient location and I created a small network with a TPLink WiFi router, not internet, to get the pictures out, so far so good. The network works well and with the camera app I can see the pictures via the WiFi on a phone and tablet. Now I want to get these images on a TV, using casting, so I tried both versions of Chromecast and although they will connect to my network they won't work without internet. Can anyone suggest how to do this please without throwing a lot of money at it. Any ideas please?
Thank you.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Hi,
can you use a Raspberry Pi to read the Wifi and display on the tv via HDMI. You could also probably use the Pi as a video recorder.

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
Most cameras can output an RTSP stream. You can use free software such as VLC which is available for many platforms to receive the stream and show on the TV. If it's a smart TV there may already be a version of VLC available for it. I'm sure there is for a Chromecast. Alternatively, an old PC or laptop could run VLC and output to HDMI for the TV. No internet needed when running.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP

Deleted User
Solved! Almost.
For those who have been following this I tried both versions of Chromecast but they needed internet which I'm not using so I tried a blue ray player which has dumb internet and more importantly, screen mirroring and it worked. So now all I need is an HDMI WiFi casting dongle and I'm sorted.
Thanks to all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 10, 2013
plymouth
Funster No
MH
Sprinter
Exp
off and on 30 years
I haven't a clue to what that means gobbledegook springs to mind to mind I must be living on another planet how things have changed since the fifties but anyway I do wish you the best of luck with your problem (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back