Keeping van warm when travelling. (1 Viewer)

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I have a 2004 Rapido which has heating running from engine when travelling we go away all year and it is always lovely and toasty.A question to all campers with newer models.I have looked at quite a few vans and none seem to have this facility anymore.Talking to a couple of campers when about and they say that there vans are cold untill being able to get the hab heating on.I know some of the new ones can run with gas heating on but that is a waste of good heating from the engine. What are peoples thoughts on this or have I miss interpreted how the newer vans heat up.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We've got diesel heating which can be left on when traveling but we don't generally bother as it only takes a few minutes to warm up with the heater on and were usually out sorting out the ehu and blocks as soon as we arrive so the doors opening quite a bit anyway. I think some alde heating systems use engine heat like yours.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
It's an option on Alde heating systems.
We only have the Truma Combi in our 7.5m van if it's really cold and setting off in a cold van I run the gas heating for 20-30 min before leaving then the cab heater can maintain the temperature.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
We have a cheap Chinese diesel heater that is only really used when driving. Also a good backup in case of a fault with our gas heater or running low on gas.
So how does the heater cut off in case of a crash?

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I think it was an Option on Rapido`s.? You had to specify it as the New Build?. I had it on my Winnebago though Built 1999?.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
[/QUOTE The regulator immediately stops providing gas have a look at the link I provided for Truma above they normally have videos on their site and you tube.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006

It's Chinese. It will never survive a crash ::bigsmile:

Joking aside, I hadn't thought of that. I'll fit an inertia switch, cheers (y)

EDIT: I have a Truma crash sensor on the gas - just not thought about the diesel.

Oct 21, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
New MH but campervan owner for a couple of years
We got the truma crash valve retrofitted to keep the kids a bit warmer as theyā€™d asked for their coats a couple of times and we were headed off skiing so thought it could be a good option.

Info here

Been having a few probs with our fridge (going in for second attempt at repair) so has been useful having gas available for that also!

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I have a 2004 Rapido which has heating running from engine when travelling we go away all year and it is always lovely and toasty.A question to all campers with newer models.I have looked at quite a few vans and none seem to have this facility anymore.Talking to a couple of campers when about and they say that there vans are cold untill being able to get the hab heating on.I know some of the new ones can run with gas heating on but that is a waste of good heating from the engine. What are peoples thoughts on this or have I miss interpreted how the newer vans heat up.
We used to have a 2004 Rapido (709f), and yes the habitation heating off the engine was excellent!

As you say, it's a shame other vans don't have the facility today.

Since that van, we've had a 2010 Chausson, which had diesel spacel heating which could be used on the move.

And currently we have a 2016 Rapido PVC, which has the so-called crash-proof gas shut-off regulator, so the Truma gas heating can be used while travelling. Having said that, perhaps through habit, we virtually always shut off the gas before moving on.

But using the surplus heat from the engine was a more sensible set up IMHO. (y)

Last edited:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Our N + B Arto has the wet Alde heating and hot water system. You spec a heat exchanger in the build which you can turn on or off if you want the van heated from the engine cooling system whilst you are travelling.

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
With the Alde system you do not use any gas on the move! It came as standard when I bought mine, they even fit an override switch in the bedroom at the rear, should you feel chilly at night you can flick it with your toe and it overrides the set program to boost the inside temp. We also have to two fans with heat exchangers working with the thermostat to warm up the area behind the front seats which is sometimes a cold spot on coachbuilt vehicles.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Iā€™ve got a radiator and three speed fan in the hab area of my motorhome that is plumbed into the vans cooling system. Never bothered to use it though.

StephDeLux

Free Member
May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
ML-T 560 built
Exp
Since 2010
Eura Mobil offers the heat exchanger as an option without needing an Alde heating.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Methinks the non-Rapido owners may not understand the OP's question!

With the big cab area of my Aclass the engine warms the front end when on the move through the usual collection of vents supplied by the manufacturer. However, on a cold, or even cool, day they struggle to warm the back end of the van and so driver and passenger don't really get warm because the hot air flows rearwards. I have heard of some MHowners who suspend a blanket/towel across the back of the cab seats, to keep the warm air in the front of the van.

But my Rapido (and I imagine OP's) have a secondary heat source, powered by the engine-cooling water, in the centre of the van. This is controlled from the cab console and, in my case, consists of a hot<->cold slider plus a 4speed fan. For me, it is a major contributor to the comfort up-front. The added bonus, of course, is that the rear facilities can also be warm for coffee-time/lunch/ tea-time etc.

I think OP is asking if similar facilities exist in other vans or, alternatively, who resorts to the thermal barrier created by the suspended blanket (which leaves the back-end cold until you get the Truma, or whatever, on).
Apologies if I'm mistaken.

Gordon

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Lots of vans have Truma secumotion within the regulator and on each cylinder hose it turns gas off in event of an accidentšŸ˜Š

OP
OP
Masman
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Methinks the non-Rapido owners may not understand the OP's question!

With the big cab area of my Aclass the engine warms the front end when on the move through the usual collection of vents supplied by the manufacturer. However, on a cold, or even cool, day they struggle to warm the back end of the van and so driver and passenger don't really get warm because the hot air flows rearwards. I have heard of some MHowners who suspend a blanket/towel across the back of the cab seats, to keep the warm air in the front of the van.

But my Rapido (and I imagine OP's) have a secondary heat source, powered by the engine-cooling water, in the centre of the van. This is controlled from the cab console and, in my case, consists of a hot<->cold slider plus a 4speed fan. For me, it is a major contributor to the comfort up-front. The added bonus, of course, is that the rear facilities can also be warm for coffee-time/lunch/ tea-time etc.

I think OP is asking if similar facilities exist in other vans or, alternatively, who resorts to the thermal barrier created by the suspended blanket (which leaves the back-end cold until you get the Truma, or whatever, on).
Apologies if I'm mistaken.

Gordon
Yes spot on Gordon. I may not have put the question across properly.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Yes spot on Gordon. I may not have put the question across properly.
Truma do and don't forget the crash detector in the regulator otherwise you should not use the heating whilst driving. so if you have a heating system for the cold nights you can use this as long as there is a cut off incase of an accident

OP
OP
Masman
Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Truma do and don't forget the crash detector in the regulator otherwise you should not use the heating whilst driving. so if you have a heating system for the cold nights you can use this as long as there is a cut off incase of an accident
If you read my post I am referring to heating the rear of the motorhome whilst driving that is run from the engine,therefore you don't need gas on.šŸ˜.Three vans drove to Scotland for new year.Mine was the oldest but the only one that was warm all the time It was -6 outside and our friends were all suffering with cold coming from behind them.

Trout bum

Free Member
Sep 7, 2016
Ayr
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix M670SL
Exp
Adria has the trauma blow heating that can use when traveling its handy in winter when you arrive at the site nice n toasty and if traveling with grandkids keeps them warm during the journey

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
If you read my post I am referring to heating the rear of the motorhome whilst driving that is run from the engine,therefore you don't need gas on.šŸ˜.Three vans drove to Scotland for new year.Mine was the oldest but the only one that was warm all the time It was -6 outside and our friends were all suffering with cold coming from behind them.

Fair enough, but like Trout bum below ours is toasty with the Truma on in the rear middle and well...front I guess if you have an older van that blows engine heat to the rear good for you and sound like you have great insulation as well, I assume that because you have not seen the feature you have its probably due to Truma etc having a solution that may help :)

Adria has the trauma blow heating that can use when traveling its handy in winter when you arrive at the site nice n toasty and if traveling with grandkids keeps them warm during the journey

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back