It’s going to take a while (1 Viewer)

May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
We spent a couple of days visiting dealers looking in some pretty ropey vans that smelt rank, and still they want £20k+ for them, one guy said they can’t keep up with demand so prices don’t have much movement.
it was useful in terms of knowing better what layout and siwe want and having now researched a lot there doesn’t appear to be many vans that fit our criteria and budget. In fact I can only find 2 that are contenders 🙈
The auto Trail Apache 670 SE and possibly the Adria Stargo
Seems like it’s a sellers market atm so we may be waiting a while until the one comes along.
Max 7m 3500kg transverse bed and garage, front lounge with bench seats. Budget £25k
No idea if autotrail are any good but there is only 1 of that model for sale that I can find atm.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Take your time and don't be railroaded into buying something that you'll regret - it'll spoil the whole adventure!

Unfortunately at the moment you're correct in that there seems to be a sudden huge increase in demand so prices will definitely have hardened. That said there are still the odd good deals around but you'll probably have to do further research to find one that meets your wishes. Just an idea, Procatical Motorhome magazine often has lists of various different layouts in the back pages, may help to widen your search.

Why not put a "Wanted" ad in the Classified section on here - you never know someone might have what you're looking for. Meanwhile there'll be others alng shortly to offer suggestions.

Just an afterthought though, more for general comment than specifically for you - could this be a growing bubble and eventually it'll burst so then there'll be lots and lots of vans back on the market?

Upvote 0
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
We have been looking for nearly a year and have found the same....any vans we are interested in have very little room for movement on the price and in general, compared to say 8 months ago, the prices have actually risen.
I'm sure you are aware, but just in case you aren't......if you are looking at a 7 metre van on a 3500kg chasis, you really need to see how much payload you are going to have left. Don't trust the seller or the dealer...look online and if possible get it to a weighbridge to see how much weight you are going to have left for your clothes, water other assorted stuff and of course people!!
I say this because we are looking at compact vans...so <5m to 5.5/5.6 metre max. Like you, we are looking for a 3500kg chassis but even with the smaller van size, we have seen vans with as little payload as 300kg.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Billylyne5
May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
Thanks Rubyoptics yes we’ve been checking payload numbers and some are dreadful, luckily there’s only the two of us so, kids are all grown up, so that cuts down on the amount of kit.

Upvote 0

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
If it’s your first, and given your max. weight, you may want to look at older vehicles. Older base vans weighed less, so more payload (our old 1986 Hymer was 6 berth, 6 seats whilst driving, max. weight of 3200KG and around 600KG payload, I think). I’m not suggesting you go back that far, but maybe something from the early ‘90s?

Personally, I think you’ll struggle, so maybe also look at French Beds, or consider sleeping above the cab. A decent garage under a transverse bed will encourage adding e-bikes and all manner of stuff, which means greater weight in general, and specially more over the back axle (given the multiplication of weight when things are further back from the rear axle).

maybe work out the weight of want uou want to take with you to get a min. payload?

Upvote 0

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
As an after thought, maybe drop your budget by ~£2K, take C1, then look at heavier vans? #shrug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Billylyne5
May 28, 2020
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Izola S687SP
Exp
Hubby has C1, I did but currently on a restricted licence due to health But looking to get that changed back. So we could go over 3500kg but are just being cautious in case my licence can’t to changed.
The van we have our eye on has from my research a payload of 800kg so plenty for our needs.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back