Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
Good morning Funsters,

I'm still looking for my elusive first van. I'm a mechanical idiot so, I'm doing the groundwork after reading Jim's book, then I want an experienced opinion before parting with money: Robert Gale in Paignton has just saved me from buying a money pit.

I've found a contender on the Isle of Wight, can anybody recommend somebody on the island to do a pre purchase/hab check? It has had a lot off work done on the brake systems according to the MOT history, and I'm not sure whether to be reassured or alarmed by that.

I'll try to attach the ad but I'm worse with technology than I am with engines.
Many thanks
Ceri

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Looks quite rusty around the cab to me if you look at the pictures magnified both wings painted badly some rot in the drivers side screen pillar poor repairs of drivers side rear trim etc. I'm not an expert there will be some along probably soon but at that price it will be a matter of what needs spending not if anything needs spending and if you don't DIY it will probably be worth a fair bit less than it costs once done. You might be lucky and find a good old one from someone retiring from motorhoming maybe look at owners clubs ads rather than online listings. Hope you find a good one

David

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
Thanks David,
I'm happy to deal with the interior, and I've found a chap who fits power steering for £600 so thats covered. But rebuilding is beyond me.
Realistically I've £7000 to play with so I need to invest wisely... the search continues xroll:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Thanks David,
I'm happy to deal with the interior, and I've found a chap who fits power steering for £600 so thats covered. But rebuilding is beyond me.
Realistically I've £7000 to play with so I need to invest wisely... the search continues xroll:
I would go for the best you can find (obviously) and it will probably be cheaper to find one already sorted as much as possible. Good luck
David

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
It has covered only 14,000 miles in the past 12 years therefore any assurances that 'it is a very reliable runner' won't mean much.
No MOT mention of rust or corrosion which is a bit surprising on a 33 yr old (reg'd April '85) vehicle. Vehicles that have been on the IoW for some time often suffer severe rust problems from the salty environment.
Brake repairs are not normally 'very' expensive.
Rust around the windscreen (particularly the lower edge) can be very expensive to fix.
I agree with The Wino that it's better to pay more and go for one that has been sorted.
It's worth checking out insurance and breakdown cover as some companies are fussy about covering 'old' vehicles.
For three and a half grand you're only going to get what you pay for. :xwink:
As an aside - check for damp - a couple I know had to brake hard with their new to them old m/h and the cupboards, complete with contents (crockery, tins of food) became completely detached from the (soggy) walls and fell on their dog which refuses to go anywhere near it now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
My problem, as ever, is wanting more than I can afford!
With such a small budget I'm trying to balance the purchase price with a slush fund for repairs. At the moment it feels like juggling eggs in the dark... a polarity plug, damp meter and boundless enthusiasm only go so far in the murky world of second hand van dealers.
I've promised to take no3 son to Wales for a six nations game, we could be under canvas at this rate :xrofl:

Upvote 0
Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Several years living in a very basic campervan in the 70's
Here on the Island there is a very limited amount of used vehicles for sale, most people won't go to the mainland to buy a car. So they are a lot more expensive than an equivalent vehicle in Southampton/Portsmouth.

The last car I bought from London would of cost me £1500 more if I had bought it here. Now 8 years later if I sold my car in Southampton I might get £400 if I sell it on the Island I will probably get nearer £1000.

Wanabe dealers like the bloke who is selling that Talbot from his house probably bought it from the car auction on the mainland thinking he was going to make a killing and sell it to someone on the Island who is desperate for a MH. Think he got a bit of a shock as it has had 4 MOT's this year and managed to pass one of them.

As @Spriddler mentioned we do have an awful lot of rust buckets here what with salting the roads and the Island being small and windy. I have a friend who lives 3 miles inland who when the wind is coming from the sea cannot get her clothes dry as they get covered in salt spray.

I can have a quick look FWIW (know nothing about MH's) on Thurs or Fri and see quite how much rust there is on it. If I was going to buy that I would want at least £700 - £1000 off the price re my previous comment. We also have another problem here on the Island most people selling anything walk with a squeak - they think what they are selling is worth far more than it is and are loathe to drop the price, the attitude is if you don't like the price go buy one on the mainland.

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Here on the Island there is a very limited amount of used vehicles for sale, most people won't go to the mainland to buy a car. So they are a lot more expensive than an equivalent vehicle in Southampton/Portsmouth.

The last car I bought from London would of cost me £1500 more if I had bought it here. Now 8 years later if I sold my car in Southampton I might get £400 if I sell it on the Island I will probably get nearer £1000.

Wanabe dealers like the bloke who is selling that Talbot from his house probably bought it from the car auction on the mainland thinking he was going to make a killing and sell it to someone on the Island who is desperate for a MH. Think he got a bit of a shock as it has had 4 MOT's this year and managed to pass one of them.

As @Spriddler mentioned we do have an awful lot of rust buckets here what with salting the roads and the Island being small and windy. I have a friend who lives 3 miles inland who when the wind is coming from the sea cannot get her clothes dry as they get covered in salt spray.

I can have a quick look FWIW (know nothing about MH's) on Thurs or Fri and see quite how much rust there is on it. If I was going to buy that I would want at least £700 - £1000 off the price re my previous comment. We also have another problem here on the Island most people selling anything walk with a squeak - they think what they are selling is worth far more than it is and are loathe to drop the price, the attitude is if you don't like the price go buy one on the mainland.
Sounds like a non starter to me (possibly literally!!!)

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Many years ago when I was working for a R/Royce, Bentley and Jag main dealer as a car mechanic I used to buy cheap cars from auctions and sell privately as a bit of a (quite lucrative) hobby. When the IoW had its own reg'n letters (DL?) none of us 'dealers' would even bother to view them or bid due to the risk of potential probs from the IoW damp/salty environment. Mechanical stuff was easily and inexpensively sorted but rust/corrosion was like an iceberg: Only a fraction of it was on view.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
There is a culture on the IOW to acknowledge other 'Local' drivers, especially in the busy summer season.

You will find many examples of cars with XX 10W XX (X =anything)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
Blimey, every day I learn something new!
Like a Muppet I thought a MH may be a little cheaper because of a limited market and/or ferry costs.
Maybe better to steer clear.

I'm actually in Aldershot, but everything local to me (and the M25) seems over priced.

I'm also being quite demanding for my budget. I have a convalescing son of 6ft, who I'm hoping to take on the road occasionally, who must have a shower/bathroom. I'd like a fixed bed (preferably at the rear) and a drop down bed for the grandlings until they're old enough to throw in a tent.

I know the smaller the budget, the bigger the compromise . But who knows? I'll keep up with my Letters to Santa Campaign

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Like a Muppet I thought a MH may be a little cheaper because of a limited market and/or ferry costs.

I'm actually in Aldershot, but everything local to me (and the M25) seems over priced.

I'm also being quite demanding for my budget. I have a convalescing son of 6ft, who I'm hoping to take on the road occasionally, who must have a shower/bathroom. I'd like a fixed bed (preferably at the rear) and a drop down bed for the grandlings until they're old enough to throw in a tent.

I know the smaller the budget, the bigger the compromise . But who knows? I'll keep up with my Letters to Santa Campaign
Maybe euromillions? Do be aware I think most will agree motorhoming is not a cheap hobby with tax,insurance ,maintenance,depreciation,site fees diesel etc etc If its the odd night away premier inn may be cheaper but it is fun to motorhome.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years

I do wish you luck with this. It sounds like a m'home would be ideal for you but you have to be so careful when buying second hand. It's better not to buy too far from you either because you need to be able to get back to the seller if it becomes obvious there are things that need fixing.
We met someone on a campsite in Bude once. She was there waiting for some last minute jobs to be done by a dealer on an old camper. The van cost her £3000 and she was from the Midlands. I didn't say anything because she was so excited - and had already paid the £3000! but I did wonder if she was in for a bucket load of trouble.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
Maybe euromillions? Do be aware I think most will agree motorhoming is not a cheap hobby with tax,insurance ,maintenance,depreciation,site fees diesel etc etc If its the odd night away premier inn may be cheaper but it is fun to motorhome.

I have a cunning 1 year plan.

Buy wisely.
Show the grandlings the splendour of the UK.
Get the Convalescing Kid out and about.
Watch some cycling in Europe.
Trace my dad's family... he was a Jones from Wales!
Tame the mid life crisis.

Sell fairly .
What could possibly go wrong :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
This one is being advertised within your budget.
No connection to me, no knowledge of the seller or van, just came across it

@Deepdale

Thank you, but the link has gone. Must have been snapped up.
I never thought to look there though, another avenue to follow,
Best
Ceri

Upvote 0

Mattbee

Free Member
Aug 27, 2018
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie swapping from caravan
With a budget that low, I’d be looking at caravans myself, date I say it.
Get much more for your money from a habitation point of view and you’d probably be able to find a van for 2k and another
1knfir an old Mondeo or Volvo to tow it...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
I have a cunning 1 year plan.

Buy wisely.
Show the grandlings the splendour of the UK.
Get the Convalescing Kid out and about.
Watch some cycling in Europe.
Trace my dad's family... he was a Jones from Wales!
Tame the mid life crisis.

Sell fairly .
What could possibly go wrong :D

But, ive no intention of limi
With a budget that low, I’d be looking at caravans myself, date I say it.
Get much more for your money from a habitation point of view and you’d probably be able to find a van for 2k and another
1knfir an old Mondeo or Volvo to tow it...

Ouch! Do you deflate sails professionally?

I'd like a year to give it a go, maybe Santa will bring a yacht instead (y)

Upvote 0

In the Pink

Free Member
Sep 19, 2018
Surrey/Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B564
Exp
Complete Novice
@Deepdale
It is advertised on The Hymermarket Facebook site.
Posted on Sunday by a Sadie Elizabeth.
Have a look, it is still showing for sale.

Good luck on your search

Upvote 0

fursty ferret

Free Member
Sep 11, 2017
Funster No
Hi we had a Talbot for 5 years &Beware unfortunately the older ones are real rust buckets so Please inspect it carefully Especially the Windscreen Scuttle Panel as ours was completely rusted away in both corners under the Windscreen. Sorry to be a bit negative but it's better to be aware of this. Hope you find a good rust free moho soon. Gray

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
Hi we had a Talbot for 5 years &Beware unfortunately the older ones are real rust buckets so Please inspect it carefully Especially the Windscreen Scuttle Panel as ours was completely rusted away in both corners under the Windscreen. Sorry to be a bit negative but it's better to be aware of this. Hope you find a good rust free moho soon. Gray

Good to know, another specific for the check list.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
BTW @fursty ferret thank you for bringing scuttle panels into my life! Who knew I needed them at all!!!
So much to learn, I need a holiday....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
Thanks @In the Pink I'm in a dialogue with the Hymer owner.
It could be perfect, everything crossed xroll:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
That would explain the new furnishings @Eggs
Im following a lead from @inthepink for a Hymer. Maybe this is the one :D

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Deepdale

Deepdale

Free Member
Nov 23, 2018
Funster No
MH
Under discussion.
Exp
Newbie, tent graduate.
The Talbot owner is fine about about a pre purchase check.
Fantastic, now all I need is a trustworthy agent to check it. And ditto for the Hymer.
3 wheels on my wagon....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back