iNet Box can you connect via router (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
Just thinking aloud. I installed an iNet Box to control my heating from afar and most probably from my bed via Bluetooth. I tried to put the wrong size of SIM card and ended having to dismantle the box to retrieve the SIM card.
To my surprise there were three Ethernet ports in the box and two of them were used to connect to the Truma control box.
I have internet in the mh and was wondering if I could connect the router to the iNet Box and save having to put in another SIM card.
I did that with a TV box that was Wi-fi enabled but it needed a direct connection to the router to work.
Perhaps because the iNet Box is not Wi-fi enabled, then my cunning plan will not work. Has anyone else tried this before me and failed.

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
In the van the connection is via Bluetooth, as you say, but needs a SIM card to work. If you’re out of the van, would the wifi work, as you would not be on the same LAN, & I’m not sure the box has the ability to connect except by 3G? I’m probably talking rubbish, but I had so much trouble setting up our box, as it only works with certain SIM cards (we’ve got gif gaff). Not sure of the advantages of using a router, unless you plan on sending a lot of message to your iNet? The texts are cheap, and I’ve had the same £10 card in for two years now!

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
The iNET manual talks about the TIN bus and TIN1 and TIN2 interfaces. Is this the same as ethernet or something different?
It's certainly high time that we got away from each MH appliance needing its own SIM card and app. Everything should be able to connect via ethernet or wifi to a router and be controlled from there using a single app. I use apple's HomeKit at home so why can't I use it in the MH to control heating etc?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Cairngorm
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
In the van the connection is via Bluetooth, as you say, but needs a SIM card to work. If you’re out of the van, would the wifi work, as you would not be on the same LAN, & I’m not sure the box has the ability to connect except by 3G? I’m probably talking rubbish, but I had so much trouble setting up our box, as it only works with certain SIM cards (we’ve got gif gaff). Not sure of the advantages of using a router, unless you plan on sending a lot of message to your iNet? The texts are cheap, and I’ve had the same £10 card in for two years now!
Hi yes I did read that , but it wasn’t till I opened the box that I spotted the spare Ethernet connection.
I’m hopping that I can connect to the SIM card in the router via an Ethernet cable.
I can set up a Wi-fi camera in the mh and since there is Wi-fi ,can watch it on my phone , anywhere I can connect to internet.

Last edited:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I think what you've seen inside are some RJ45 connectors. RJ=Registered Jack type 45 which is suitable for network connectors (including Ethernet but not restricted to). I think you'll find that the iBox just uses the RJ45 connectors as a convenient plug to link it's devices.

I don't need to have a sim card in place in the iBox to use the bluetooth only but I agree, it's about time all these devices (tracker, heating, security, alarm, etc.) worked from one internet connected system. I have three sim cards in the same van to keep everything happy which is crazy really.

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I would be amazed if Truma cannot connect to the port for maintenance purposes, whether it is a usable ethernet port Is something else.

OP
OP
Cairngorm
Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
I think what you've seen inside are some RJ45 connectors. RJ=Registered Jack type 45 which is suitable for network connectors (including Ethernet but not restricted to). I think you'll find that the iBox just uses the RJ45 connectors as a convenient plug to link it's devices.

I don't need to have a sim card in place in the iBox to use the bluetooth only but I agree, it's about time all these devices (tracker, heating, security, alarm, etc.) worked from one internet connected system. I have three sim cards in the same van to keep everything happy which is crazy really.
Hi , yes I thought there would be a problem.
The FCC approvals site has Truma's submitted documentation including internal and external photos.
https://fccid.io/2ADPZ-INETBOXA
Internal photos are here: https://fccid.io/2ADPZ-INETBOXA/Internal-Photos/Internal-Photos-2609803.pdf
It's an early prototype, but this seems to show that the fourth connector (TIN3) is still a TIN Bus connector. Interestingly, the photos do seem to show a USB? connection with a soldered cable. Maybe a console connection.
I have maybe bought too soon then. Hopefully there will be a modification for older models.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back