Hymer B 678 cab double glazed glass units (1 Viewer)

Clive Smith

Free Member
Jun 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 2015
Hi there. Our B678 has now covered 23500 miles from new and had a new set of double glazed cab windows fitted during autumn 2019 after the seals failed and the units blew. This was NOT covered by Hymer‘s 3 Year warranty and they eventually offered to pay half of the cost as a good will gesture
‘ Ouch ! ‘ Despite my initiating my complaint with our local Sussex dealership who had serviced and carried out damp checks annually from new. Hymer stated that they had not received any damp proofing certificates from the dealership despite my having receipts to prove they had been carried out.

Now much to my annoyance ! all of these units have now failed again with misting between the glass making it almost impossible to see out when the sun shines. Fortunately I insisted on keeping the old set of windows and frames in case this happened again. ( Funny how the German manufacturers cannot make a unit that lasts more than three years, yet those in my kitchen window of the same thickness are still going strong after some 38 years )

Does anyone know of a glazing company that would be willing to make up some ‘ single glazed ‘
‘ toughened ‘ replacement panels from the original patterns in the SW London Sussex area.

Regards Clive

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013
Hi there. Our B678 has now covered 23500 miles from new and had a new set of double glazed cab windows fitted during autumn 2019 after the seals failed and the units blew. This was NOT covered by Hymer‘s 3 Year warranty and they eventually offered to pay half of the cost as a good will gesture
‘ Ouch ! ‘ Despite my initiating my complaint with our local Sussex dealership who had serviced and carried out damp checks annually from new. Hymer stated that they had not received any damp proofing certificates from the dealership despite my having receipts to prove they had been carried out.

Now much to my annoyance ! all of these units have now failed again with misting between the glass making it almost impossible to see out when the sun shines. Fortunately I insisted on keeping the old set of windows and frames in case this happened again. ( Funny how the German manufacturers cannot make a unit that lasts more than three years, yet those in my kitchen window of the same thickness are still going strong after some 38 years )

Does anyone know of a glazing company that would be willing to make up some ‘ single glazed ‘
‘ toughened ‘ replacement panels from the original patterns in the SW London Sussex area.

Regards Clive

Having the old ones will certainly be an advantage,I know these two aren't in your area but both firms have been used by funsters in the past.

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
We had all four replaced before 2 years of age absolutely shite for a van costing so much.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
There is a company that repairs the units but I can't remember their name. I've always been advised by dealers not to have that option.
The ones in your house are not being driven down potholed roads every day.

OP
OP
C

Clive Smith

Free Member
Jun 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 2015
Thank you all so far..

Clive

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I will keep watching this thread to see if you manage to sort it out. I too have a B678 and had two misted up ones replaced under warranty. Trouble is the other two are now misted as well as one of the replacements. I am tempted to replace with single glazing if I can find someone to do that.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
ll of these units have now failed again with misting between the glass making it almost impossible to see out when the sun shines.
They'd still be under gtee. 2 years anything eu supplied. at the length of time they would still have to repair the replaced ones. Anyting supplied these days including, electrical goods ,is expected to have a minimum useful life of 6 years.

OP
OP
C

Clive Smith

Free Member
Jun 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 2015
Thank you all so far..

Clive
After removing the original windows from the frames ‘ fun but doable ‘ I have just trotted half way across London on vain In order to get them sent away for toughened single glazed 14mm replacements to be made up. I’m hopeful that a company that my son used will be able to make them up For me. But it appears nobody will except the originals as templates as they are too ‘ Dangerous ? ‘ to send away. They only want templates and if I’m going down that route the world is my oyster ‘ provided they are not too dangerous to send back ‘ Keep you informed. Clive

Attachments

• 081A50CF-F8BC-43E7-B59D-EE571A856869.jpeg
    081A50CF-F8BC-43E7-B59D-EE571A856869.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • 297598FA-65DB-4D2F-AF5C-84276D1D3AFE.jpeg
    297598FA-65DB-4D2F-AF5C-84276D1D3AFE.jpeg
    522.9 KB · Views: 62
OP
OP
C

Clive Smith

Free Member
Jun 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 2015
Hymer front cab double glazing remanufactured..

You may remember my issue with these windows June 2021. Requiring a third set in 5 1/2 years and not even the courtesy of a reply from Hymer in Germany.
Well thank’s to members advise I contacted CN Glass in Banbury and spoke the the proprietor Trevor Moute who was not unfamiliar with this issue or the lack of quality in the higher end of Motorhome built by the Hymer group having rebuilt a fair few in the last months.
Once removed from their frames Trevor was able to have his team remanufacture all four of our glass double glazed units from the front of our Hymer B Class 678 within a couple of days. Leaving all of the original Black surrounds visible at a fraction of the Hymer replacement cost.
Brilliant service ! But you will need to remove the units ready for repair..
well done Trevor..
Unfortunately at the same time we were forced to get our Hamm Oyster Saterlite System repaired/ replaced. This was carried out at Conrad Anderson in Birmingham by Nathan Onions who diagnosed and replaced the offending part of our system.

Clive Smith

raysalaugh

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2011
Leyland
Funster No
MH
AT Delaware
Exp
since 2010
Unfortunately at the same time we were forced to get our Hamm Oyster Saterlite System repaired/ replaced. This was carried out at Conrad Anderson in Birmingham by Nathan Onions who diagnosed and replaced the offending part of our system
Hope the bill didn't bring tears to your eyes.:xsmile:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hymer front cab double glazing remanufactured..

You may remember my issue with these windows June 2021. Requiring a third set in 5 1/2 years and not even the courtesy of a reply from Hymer in Germany.
Well thank’s to members advise I contacted CN Glass in Banbury and spoke the the proprietor Trevor Moute who was not unfamiliar with this issue or the lack of quality in the higher end of Motorhome built by the Hymer group having rebuilt a fair few in the last months.
Once removed from their frames Trevor was able to have his team remanufacture all four of our glass double glazed units from the front of our Hymer B Class 678 within a couple of days. Leaving all of the original Black surrounds visible at a fraction of the Hymer replacement cost.
Brilliant service ! But you will need to remove the units ready for repair..
well done Trevor..
Unfortunately at the same time we were forced to get our Hamm Oyster Saterlite System repaired/ replaced. This was carried out at Conrad Anderson in Birmingham by Nathan Onions who diagnosed and replaced the offending part of our system.

Clive Smith
Pleased that CN came good, we used them a few years ago to make new units for our Flair might have been th efirst time they had done them but not sure, a fraction of Niesmann price.

OP
OP
C

Clive Smith

Free Member
Jun 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 2015
I had already resigned myself to the fact that it would be expensive, given that a new replacement system was over £3k There is no point in having a system that doesn’t work. So replacing the ‘brain‘ in the over bed locker, ‘control panel’ above the door and the ‘dish removed’ and a new cover fitted was about £1k. But at least it now works and is apparently future proof. Being a techno ‘Not’ I can operate it from my mobile phone, including choosing any satellite up there. Astra 2 is enough for me. I’m just happy it all works again. 😊

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have a 2015 B678 and are thinking of getting both of our's on the front right done. Do you have any instructions as to how to remove the glass please? Also could you let me know what the replacement cost was for yours please?

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years

Regards Clive
We had a Hymer caravan and the big front window came apart where it should have been sealed together. It was over three ywears old so it was down to me to get it fixed. Hey Ho, should have kept the Dethleff motorhome.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We had a Hymer caravan and the big front window came apart where it should have been sealed together. It was over three ywears old so it was down to me to get it fixed. Hey Ho, should have kept the Dethleff motorhome.
These aren't plastic double glazed caravan type windows we are referring to. They are toughened glass sealed double glazing like you get at home.

OP
OP
C

Clive Smith

Free Member
Jun 14, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 2015
Well we were fortunate in as much as we kept the original set when they were removed by the Hymer dealer. Looking behind the the inside covering strip the windows are held in by Philips screws, with a sticky compressible foam seal around the outer edge Of the frame.
Once the window is removed it’s possible to get the sliding window out by removing rubber mouldings and sliding handle / vertical bar by prizing it off. That just leaves the main part of the window which is glued in with doubled sided glazing tape. This you will have to cut out by sliding a really sharp Stanley knife or blade around the out edge of the frame and clean the residue off. This tape is readily available on E Bay for replacement.
Hymer charged us 50% of the cost just over two years ago and we paid £1K towards the cost. CN Glass charged us just under half of this or 25% of the full Hymer price.
Good luck I’m reassembling mine this week but will wait until the spring to change them over..

Sep 2, 2014
Near Colchester, Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo
Exp
12 years
Hi yes, I am fully aware that you mean the double glazed ones, I was commenting on the second rate glazing on the Hymer, we also had a glass side window starting to go.

Dec 5, 2010
Wadhurst, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
IH Van Conversion
Exp
17 years
We had a 2014 Hymer B 678 from new, after 3 months 1st set went (L&RHS fixed, R side sliding and the L H door widow) all in various stages of blowing. 15 months later the second set needed re placement.
Fortunately I ‘bumped into’ the German Hymer overseas sales manager in the dealership in Sussex, he was talking to potential customers in the showroom.
He immediately extended the Glass Warranty to the same as the damp warranty….5 years. The 3rd set went after 3.5 years I then got really worried and asked for single glazed to be fitted which they obliged (probably relieved)
Remember, this is a safety issue as obviously you can’t see so the van can’t be driven till the sun dries off the mist which it usually did by midday!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back