Jul 23, 2020
midlands
Funster No
MH
HYMER A CLASS
Exp
Since 1999
Hi
I have had a 1987 Hymer 644 left hand drive based on a Fiat Ducato with a 2.5 turbo diesel engine since 1999.

Over the years it has become increasingly difficult to get the spare wheel to fit in its housing in the engine compartment. It no longer fits all the way back into the semi circular housing. This appears to be because the tyre wall [the outside edge of the tyre] fouls on the edge of the housing preventing it from entering completely. It appears that modern tyres are actually wider than a few years ago. I am using the same size as always [205/75 R16] AVON AV 11. Until recently I have had to use a crowbar and mallet to squeeze it in but with the latest new tyre as a spare even this will not get it to slide down onto its fixing [because it wont go far enough into its housing]. Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone any ideas how to rectify it?
Thanks in hope and anticipation.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Three thoughts, what happens when you Partially deflate the Tyre would it fit? The Next is can you use a emergency wheel/ tyre that may fit. The third option which is what a lot of modern vehicles do is don’t have a spare....it’s radical but you really don’t kneed one just a can of sealant (doesn’t always work) an inflator and breakdown membership.

OP
OP
S

SURFER DUDE

Free Member
Jul 23, 2020
midlands
Funster No
MH
HYMER A CLASS
Exp
Since 1999
Thanks Coolcats for your reply. I think that I would have to deflate it by quite a lot to get it to fit which would be a problem if I ever needed it if I had a puncture. An emergency wheel with a smaller section tyre could be an answer. I have had a tyre explode [litterally] on a French autoroute some years ago [I was lucky to survive without crashing] so I would definitely want to have a spare and not rely on a can of sealant etc. The life expectancy on the hard shoulder of a French autoroute is apparently 7 minutes so being able to change a wheel quickly is essential. I guess I may have to modify the carrier to allow a the tyre to slide in. Thanks again for your help. Anyone else with any ideas??????

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Youve discounted my 1st idea of deflating before fitting.
Can you measure the available space and get a maximum width that would fit. Then find one with required rolling diameter. A second hand place may be more ameanable to routing around with a tape measure. Just suss the right size brand and buy new. Only use a a spare.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back