How Safe are LED Bulbs

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Landy lover, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Landy lover

Landy lover Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +6,723
    Might sound a daft question but I was sat down looking at the forums and about to go outside and brave the cold for 5 minutes and an article caught my eye and while I was reading it the light over the table ( new LED's I bought at Lincoln show in Sept ) flickered then clouds of acrid black smoke filled the 5'er then I quickly turned the light off and opened the window stripped the bulb out. Fortunately this was all over in a few second but if I had gone out for 5 minutes it could have been a major disaster.

Ordinary bulbs blow and go out - has any one else had an LED do this ??

All the others I bought are OK

Attached Files:

2. veletron

veletron

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

There's a massive variation in quality for LED lamps. I bought a G4 for the house which is utter junk - gets red hot and smells! Its gone in the bin.

I've have others MR11's (GU4's) mini 12V dichrorics, from the same seller which have proven to be excellent:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130348494973&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I've also got G4's that I am very pleased with - they have been in service in the van for over a year - these came from ebay too, but I cant remember the seller/item details.

Be carefull what you buy - there's some utter cr@p on ebay.

Nigel

• Like it Like it x 1