How Long to Drive from Calais into Spain (1 Viewer)

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
Also don't know if anyone else has mentioned it but avoid Paris at all costs. It's an absolute nightmare driving on the periferique (Paris ring road). There's junction after junction of cars, motorbikes and scooters exiting and entering the motorway, all going too fast and doing a lot of lane swapping, so swerving in front of you from left and right. ...
I had to use the Peripherique a couple of years ago. Using Google Maps Street View and knowing where your exits are makes it almost bearable. Not for the faint hearted but you can make it far easier.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
I had to use the Peripherique a couple of years ago. Using Google Maps Street View and knowing where your exits are makes it almost bearable. Not for the faint hearted but you can make it far easier.
I found it very easy, it is not the m25, there are seven junctions to negotiate, but if you are south bound follow Bordeaux, north follow Lille, nothing to get wound up about

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I won't go within 50 miles of the Peripherque it makes the M25 look like a fast racetrack. The last time I used it took longer to do 15 miles on it than it did to do the 120 miles to Dieppe from it, that was in a car had no choice I was doing some work in the outskirts of Paris. I would never attempt it in a Motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
I won't go within 50 miles of the Peripherque it makes the M25 look like a fast racetrack. The last time I used it took longer to do 15 miles on it than it did to do the 120 miles to Dieppe from it, that was in a car had no choice I was doing some work in the outskirts of Paris. I would never attempt it in a Motorhome.
We took a wrong turn at a major junction coming home and landed on the Peripherque on a Friday afternoon, never, ever again.:mad::mad:
The only things moving were the thousands of bikes and scooters filtering between the stationary queues.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
The first (and last) time I used the Peripherque was on a motorbike, no satnav, just a compass in my clear tank-bag top.

I was heading south to Spain, missed my turnoff and got completely lost going the wrong way, I pulled into a fuel station and by a stroke of luck an English student was manning the pumps, he wrote down the directions for me and then let me use the service tunnel to get to the other side.. Oh what fun..

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
Malaga to Bordeaux (cestas) day 1, Bordeaux to my local by 8pm day 2 via tunnel, on big GS BMW. Absolutely knackered and it only rained twice..................once for 300 miles and once for 200

cantonalegod

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
Malaga to Bordeaux (cestas) day 1, Bordeaux to my local by 8pm day 2 via tunnel, on big GS BMW. Absolutely knackered and it only rained twice..................once for 300 miles and once for 200
We find that if it's raining in France, it seems to be raining in ALL of France! ☔

Aug 17, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote
Exp
Since 2011
The first (and last) time I used the Peripherque was on a motorbike, no satnav, just a compass in my clear tank-bag top.

I was heading south to Spain, missed my turnoff and got completely lost going the wrong way, I pulled into a fuel station and by a stroke of luck an English student was manning the pumps, he wrote down the directions for me and then let me use the service tunnel to get to the other side.. Oh what fun..
We used the periferque a few time 5/6 years ago to travel South from Calais. Wondered what the fuss was until we got stuck. Nightmare never been near it since.

Dec 19, 2020
The salty bit of Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2017
I did it once with a caravan going from Eurodisney on towards Brittany. The only mishap was my navigator (12 year old daughter) letting my new Paris street map fly out of the window. That was about thirty years ago. I did use the Francillienne solo in a car about ten years ago en route to Carcassonne and found it more of a pain than the Periphique.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back