How Easy To Grease Seatbelt Mechanism? (Benimar) (1 Viewer)

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Hi :) We have a double hab seat with seatbelts and use this seat for our little dog on her seatbelt harness. When we collected the MoHo there was no issue at all with pulling the belts out and using them. Now, however, they're both really sensitive to being used and the inertia kicks in within a couple of inches or so, even if I pull them out reeeaally sloooowly (I know how inertia works :) ). I managed to get one out and now daren't let it back in, in case I can't get it out again. I called the previous owner and he said they'd never had a problem with them but offered to pay the bill to have them fixed, which was immensely kind of him. However, it's since been suggested by someone else that the mechanism might simply need greasing. How easy is it to do this, please? If it's easy enough, I'd rather do this myself than have the previous owner pay a garage to do it. And, if it is easy, what product do I need to use to free it up a little, please?

Here's a picture of them. The cover is on with screws, which I'm assuming I'll remove and see the mechanism. Is that correct, please? I'd be grateful for any help. Thank you :)

Attachments

• IMG_4117.jpg
    IMG_4117.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
Copious furniture polish.

You don't want oil and grease to get anywhere near the inertia mechanism?

Ah, ok. I have some fine silicone spray. Would that be ok, please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Ah, ok. I have some fine silicone spray. Would that be ok, please?
NO! not unless you can get it directly on the mechanism, not the belt. Pull the belt out fully and spray both sides with pledge/mr sheen etc and allow to roll back in. give it 5 minutes and work the belt in and out multiple times. That is what dealers and garages do all the time

OP
OP
HKF

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
NO! not unless you can get it directly on the mechanism, not the belt. Pull the belt out fully and spray both sides with pledge/mr sheen etc and allow to roll back in. give it 5 minutes and work the belt in and out multiple times. That is what dealers and garages do all the time

Oh, ok. Thank you so much! The problem is getting it out in the first place but I'll persevere tomorrow and then spray it. Thank you again :) Very much appreciate your help! :ta:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back