Harris and Lewis anyone know contactable sites ? (1 Viewer)

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Greetings xx Trying to add Harris and Lewis to a trip to Skye [2 campsites booked] mid May- but an onward journey to Harris/Lewis from Uig on the ferry has been suggested as we have not heard back from last site we wanted [16th May onwards] Feel we need to book with the hordes and hostility but my bones are made from FTL from generations ..
So searching [and searching! ] net I have discovered that [from websites] Calmac Ferries wont let you board unless you have pre-booked accommodation.. As we are an intrepid party of 3 motorhomes I have not been able to find any bookable sites with vacancies apart from one with ONE night only free .All the tourist info on the web implies there is a huge amount of semi-wild camping ie turn up and pay at honesty boxes or just wild camp - but not sure with Covid etc this still current IF we can plead with Calmac after booking the first night.

So cant book the ferry without the pre booked dates ... and dont want to go for just one night ...but now I have been bewitched by the standing stones and the Lewis Chessmen and the Blackhouse would appreciate any inside info about getting and staying there .
Thank you especially any locals xxx

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Take a look at Andrew Ditton’s utube vids, he has done a few on the sites in the Outer Hebrides,
Give Cal Mac a call as the booking rule may have changed as they don’t check with the sites anyway. The Outer Hebrides are still in tiers but due to change shortly.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
There is nothing stopping you booking the ferry now and sorting out accommodation later as the lockdown release dates for the Islands have not been updated yet. Having the first night booked should satisfy the requirement for pre-booked accommodation (f still required this summer) that's what we have done for July. Althought I suspect it might be really busy this summer so having some nights booked is probably not a bad idea.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
How about Barra? Can recommend a cheap campsite there. It even has washing machines and a lounge area plus you see the dolphins in the bay. Barra and Vatersay are my favourites.

Our trip is here.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
How about Barra? Can recommend a cheap campsite there. It even has washing machines and a lounge area plus you see the dolphins in the bay. Barra and Vatersay are my favourites.
Sound advice, pier up from airport is a great spot👍🏻

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Kirsten
Eilean Freaoch campsite at Shawbost is very good. Full facilities.
On the way up to Point of Ness there is a campervan overnight site. It is actually like a mini site as it has all the facilities and on hardstanding. Only space for about 5 or 6 vans, so perhaps wise to book. It is at Lower Shader.
Laxdale is a large site near Stornoway.
On the way to Callanish stones, i am sure there is a new overnight stop area that was being made ready last year. Don't know what it is called though.
Another site to look at is Wild Isles website as they list a mixture of sites and camper stop parking places.
Hope this is of some help, Charlie.

OP
OP
Kirsten

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Thank you all guys - didn’t get any alerts re replies so have only just seen them! Have looked at many sites but the new info very helpful. Have so far avoided ringing Calmac as didn’t know what dates we needed for return but will get onto it after Easter - hopefully better idea of what is happening then. Didn’t realise Scotland was still in tiers duh ! Will post any info I get in case anyone else as clueless as me xx

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Thank you all guys - didn’t get any alerts re replies so have only just seen them! Have looked at many sites but the new info very helpful. Have so far avoided ringing Calmac as didn’t know what dates we needed for return but will get onto it after Easter - hopefully better idea of what is happening then. Didn’t realise Scotland was still in tiers duh ! Will post any info I get in case anyone else as clueless as me xx
Don’t worry about calling CM once you can get through they are usually very helpful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back