Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
I am about to buy a motorhome in Germany and will need to get German Export plates. Up until now I thought I just had to go to a local office and get the plates for €150 that would allow me 5 days third party insurance to get back to the UK.

Now the dealer I am buying off says that it costs €500 and you need a German address and German ID. Is he getting confused with red plates and yellow plates or have to rules changed or something. He also says offices are only open 9am to 11am.

Anyone done this recently.

Alex

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
From memory I think we paid about €250 for a months cover on our export plates.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
not recently - but in 2017, our German dealer got 1 month export plates on our van that carried 3rd party insurance on them (for a cost - wasn't great iirc) - he had to go and get them before i collected - so needed the collection date agreed so the van could be ready for collection - i don't know it there has been a change since then

which dealer? we used Dumo Riesemobile un Dulmen

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Last June cost was E300 with 1 month 3rd party cover. Dealer did this by personal visit to local reg office.
Michae

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Hmm....thanks all...it seems some dealers just try to make a bit of extra money by adding on their comission for getting plates. All part of the negotiating process unless you have German address and ID it seems ?

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
My experience is that it varies from area to area as the plates are issued by the local town hall who set their own price. For me it involved visiting several offices each of which made a charge. First an insurance office to pay for insurance. Then take insurance paperwork to the town hall Who issue a permit to get plates made. Then to the place who stamped the plates out & finally to another office in the town hall to get the expiry date sticker on the plates.
DP

Aug 11, 2018
Europe
Funster No
MH
€6 Peugeot Boxer van conv
Exp
50 years inc camping and caravanning (and I'm not much older than that)
Can't you get the VIN number, and register it in the UK before you go to collect it? Then you could insure it in the UK, with EU cover. Thinking our loud... or did it have to be inspected in the UK first before being re-registered?...

I once imported a car, years ago (from the USA). I seem to remember that the process of registering it in the UK was very easy, likewise the insurance.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I am about to buy a motorhome in Germany and will need to get German Export plates. Up until now I thought I just had to go to a local office and get the plates for €150 that would allow me 5 days third party insurance to get back to the UK.

Now the dealer I am buying off says that it costs €500 and you need a German address and German ID. Is he getting confused with red plates and yellow plates or have to rules changed or something. He also says offices are only open 9am to 11am.

Anyone done this recently.

Alex
can't help with the plates sorry but keen to know what you ve gone for in the end?

Jon

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Can't you get the VIN number, and register it in the UK before you go to collect it? Then you could insure it in the UK, with EU cover. Thinking our loud... or did it have to be inspected in the UK first before being re-registered?...
no. you need to have paid UK VAT and got a receipt before you can register.
you can only pay UK VAT once it has landed in the UK
if German VAT has been paid, you still need to pay UK VAT, then reclaim German VAT back

if it is UK Spec, RHD, and declared as so on the CoC, there is no need for a VOSA inspection before UK registration, but if it is a LHD Euro Spec, it needs to be inspected by VOSA? post importing, / VAT payment and prior to registration in the UK.

You can get it insured in the UK on the VIN no (temporarily, e.g. with Safeguard) , in order to get the registration completed, but the VIN cover is time limited

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
I paid the UK VAT whilst at the Moho dealer in Saarbrucken so I didn’t need to pay it to the dealership.
Once I had returned home with the Moho the paper VAT receipt arrived and I posted it to the dealership so they had proof of VAT paid.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
no. you need to have paid UK VAT and got a receipt before you can register.
you can only pay UK VAT once it has landed in the UK
if German VAT has been paid, you still need to pay UK VAT, then reclaim German VAT back

if it is UK Spec, RHD, and declared as so on the CoC, there is no need for a VOSA inspection before UK registration, but if it is a LHD Euro Spec, it needs to be inspected by VOSA? post importing, / VAT payment and prior to registration in the UK.

You can get it insured in the UK on the VIN no (temporarily, e.g. with Safeguard) , in order to get the registration completed, but the VIN cover is time limited
Hi Gerry mcg,

Are you talking about newish MH’s ? You don’t have to pay UK vat on a 2007 vehicle do you ? Isn’t there something about over 2 years old.

Yes I’m with Safegard at the moment...did call them up but they didn’t mention I could insure it on the Vin.

I’m going to do the VCA VOSA after I’ve sorted out the headlights and MPH speedo.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Just talked to VCA...seemed very impatient ? and you don’t have to go through them for Vehicle Type Approval if MH is over 10 years old....which mine is...2013.

Just DVLA then and maybe HMRC

Hurraaagh !

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
can't help with the plates sorry but keen to know what you ve gone for in the end?

Hi Jongood
Haven't got it yet....off to Holland again to look at two different ones. Went out last week...got pulled up by Belgium motorcycle plod and given on the spot fine of €116. Then when I got back had a speeding fine sent to me from France (96kph in 90kph zone between Calais and Dunquerque ) of €45...€180 if I don't pay straight away. This MH hunt is getting costly ?.

Alex

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
LHD Euro Spec, it needs to be inspected by VOSA? post importing, / VAT payment and prior to registration in the UK.
If new or newish just needs an inspection by mot station or garage.
Are you talking about newish MH’s ? You don’t have to pay UK vat on a 2007 vehicle do you ? Isn’t there something about over 2 years old.
Over 6 months old and 6000 km no UK vat liability but you still need to register with HMRC and get a NOVA reference before you can register.

gerry mcg

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2016
Glasgow, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Globecar 600L Revn
Exp
since 2016
Hi Gerry mcg,

Yes I’m with Safegard at the moment...did call them up but they didn’t mention I could insure it on the Vin.

I’m going to do the VCA VOSA after I’ve sorted out the headlights and MPH speedo.
Hiya Lenny HB has got in there before me :)
I was talking about new MH, as lenny said, >6000km > 6 months, German VAT is adequate.
Inspection is required before registration
G

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Haven't got it yet....off to Holland again to look at two different ones. Went out last week...got pulled up by Belgium motorcycle plod and given on the spot fine of €116. Then when I got back had a speeding fine sent to me from France (96kph in 90kph zone between Calais and Dunquerque ) of €45...€180 if I don't pay straight away. This MH hunt is getting costly ?.

Alex

We're off there soon and you recent trips don't fill me with any confidence. I've never had a speeding ticket, eek!

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
If new or newish just needs an inspection by mot station or garage.

Over 6 months old and 6000 km no UK vat liability but you still need to register with HMRC and get a NOVA reference before you can register.

Yes I’m going to do a NOVA to get a NOVA reference...but then thought I would just inform DVLA after doing an MOT. Apparently I don’t have to do the VCA bit because it is over 10 years old.

Which bit is the VOSA ? Is that the same as VCA ?

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
We're off there soon and you recent trips don't fill me with any confidence. I've never had a speeding ticket, eek!
Hi Blue Knight....yes be careful if you are going up through Belgium and Holland...there seems to be a speed camera every 30 yards ! Didn’t a Dutchman invent the Gatso speed camera originally ☹️

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Just talked to VCA...seemed very impatient ? and you don’t have to go through them for Vehicle Type Approval if MH is over 10 years old....which mine is...2013.

Just DVLA then and maybe HMRC

Hurraaagh !

Maths has changed since I went to school then?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
No worries Andrew, I got one in Sri Lanka 4 weeks ago, cost me 3000 Rupees...................................................
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................
£13 :LOL: I dont really mind but I'd only been in the car an hour. I was apparently doing 60kmh in a built up area, I didnt realise fields counted as built up area.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
We paid €50 for a months cover on our new Carthago in June.
He took our passports and it took 24hr to sort.

MH 273 C was the number ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Which bit is the VOSA ? Is that the same as VCA ?
VOSA or whatever it's called now, you have to have the van tested at one of their test centres if you haven't got a certificate of conformity, cost £200 and can be a long wait time to get a test, also there are only a few centres in the country.

OP
OP
Hymerbell

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
VOSA or whatever it's called now, you have to have the van tested at one of their test centres if you haven't got a certificate of conformity, cost £200 and can be a long wait time to get a test, also there are only a few centres in the country.
Nooooooo ?

Aug 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
Hi Hymerbell,
did you manage to do this in the end?
I'm supposed to be collecting a motorhome in a few weeks time.
Initially the dealer thought their 5 day plates would cover me but it appears not!
So they are suggesting I try to navigate this process by myself now!
Many thanks,
Mike

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Getting export plates is not for the ill informed. You have to visit the local office. Get your dealer to do it and get 30 day cover, different insurance length offer different prices and are included in the export plates but the differences at the lower end are negligible.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
It will be interesting to see if it's the same now, I know that gestors that did all the footwork importing UK vehicles where we are in Spain, seem not to be interested anymore saying it's too much hassle, 😯 friends became residents just recently and had to use someone in Costa Blanca south to register two cars. 🤔 Bob.

Aug 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
Dealer has agreed to help me and will be sending someone along to the Kfz-Zulassungsbehörde with me. They do seem a bit more organised than DVLA!

One thing I still need advice on is whether I need to follow the formal customs export process - even if the van has never been registered in Germany.

VAT will have been paid locally, and then when I provide proof of UK VAT payment, the dealer will refund me.

Can anyone confirm whether they did this?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back