Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
When I had the electrics done I didn't have my genny altered to supply the 240 socket and left it at 110 volt only.

Is it an expensive job to have it so it does both 110 and 240 volts?

I was being mean at the time of conversion:Doh::RollEyes:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Depends on whether your transformer has a step-up facility John, if not you'd need to put in another tranny alongside the one you've got or change it altogether :winky:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi RR

What do you want to run on 220volt? you may find it much easier to get a decent inverter fitted, and if you haven't fot one yet a good mains charger that will work on 110 -220 volts AC

This way when you start the genny you are making loads of 12 volt to run the inverter with the added bonus that you will be able to use the inverter with out the genny running (subject to decent batteries and capacity)

It is all down to what you want to run really. We had a hell of a job talking one of our customers out of having a 2000 watt inverter fitted as he wanted to run a 220 VAC table lamp:Doh: He really didn't want a 12 volt lamp as it would "flatten his batteries :Eeek:

Cheers

Eddie

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
I have got by for the last year without it so think I'll save my money.

Twas someone on the other channel got me thinking:RollEyes:

Ta for the speedy replies:thumb:

U

ukrv

Deleted User
John

Sell the Genny - you'll have loads of cash for next New Years beer fund - and plenty of extra room to store the tinnies. :thumb:

You could even convert the space into a room for yer dad and he can go with you next year :Eeek: [JOKE].

Paul

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Being VEIN it's cool tom have a 998cc genny as part of the package (typical American:roflmto::RollEyes:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
When I had the electrics done I didn't have my genny altered to supply the 240 socket and left it at 110 volt only.

Is it an expensive job to have it so it does both 110 and 240 volts?

I was being mean at the time of conversion:Doh::RollEyes:

You can buy a 240v AC FIVE Kilowatt petrol genny now for about £250 all in or a 2.2KW diesel (Macro) There are 850 watt ones for about £50 all in so why bother, get a new one.

Dont know about the quality and Macros return policy is not much cop but if you go to Cosco you can take it back anytime for money back.

Just a thought.

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Your RV was supplied in 110v for the good old USA. So over here you needed to add a transformer when on mains to knock down to 110v. You and me add 240v sockets thats ok on mains because we can split the supply, one to transformer one to mains 240v.

But when on gennie you don't have 240v. Now the transformer you had fitted to knock down 240 to 110v will work the opposite way round so 110 in from gennie 240 out to you sockets. It's a switching thing done that way.

Other way leave your RV 110v as supplied, transformer on mains to give 110v so RV works. Come off 110v RV mains at it's fuse board to a transformer to give 240v for your sockets. Ok two transformers but everything works. In realality the 240v sockets won't be pulling that much, tv / video etc. Kettle so you don't need that much off a transformer. Rest of RV stays as made, aircon, fridge whatever else.

Just remember transformers have a in rush of ampage to make them start up and can be quite high, so with two could be very high. Find a transformer with soft start opion then no problem.

Regards

LAMPIE

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back