gearbox problem after referb (1 Viewer)

tooter

Free Member
Nov 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer 1999
Exp
Hi new to the forum and motor homing. I recently purchased a 1999 Peugeot boxer based autosleeper. when we went to see it we drove it and didn't notice a problem with the gearbox it was something we was aware of so would have noticed it and it has only done 500m since it had a full reconditioned gearbox in it. WE went away it at the weekend and noticed 2nd gear was difficult to engage sometimes it slips in OK but usually needs extra pressure to engage it. I've read up and thought it may be the linkage so i went out and sprayed it with spray oil and its not made a difference. can anyone suggest anything else to try. thanks

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
is it a direct linkage or does it use cables? If cables, they could be worn or dry, if a direct linkage, they generally use plastic or nylon spacers, washers or cups, which could be worn.

OP
OP
T

tooter

Free Member
Nov 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer 1999
Exp
hi thanks for the quick reply. dont know if its cables or direct link. would they not changed the worn plastic parts when referbing gearbox?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
to be fair to Allanm - how would he know what they did, though I suspect your question was more rhetorical and outloud thinking on your behalf. in my opinion, they would have replaced whatever needed to be replaced, so not everything ...

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
What part of the linkage did you spray oil on, if it was the gearbox end, did you notice any threaded adjusters (cable drive) or pinch bolts (direct rod drive) ?
Is there any slop/play when you wiggle the gear lever, can you pull back the gear lever shroud and see if there's any wear in the plastic bushings ?
I would have thought a decent garage might have told you there was wear in the linkage and offered to sort it during the box replacement, so it might just need a slight "settling in" adjustment to the linkage, can't you go back to the people that changed it and let them have a look ?

OP
OP
T

tooter

Free Member
Nov 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer 1999
Exp
to be fair to Allanm - how would he know what they did, though I suspect your question was more rhetorical and outloud thinking on your behalf. in my opinion, they would have replaced whatever needed to be replaced, so not everything ...
hi yes I understand Allanm wouldn't know what they did. but yes was just thinking if that was part of the procedure when referbing a gearbox im not mechanically minded.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We had a Peugeot van and it was lousy on the gearbox if you left it standing, had a job to get any in , had to keep running it about regularly to keep it free.

OP
OP
T

tooter

Free Member
Nov 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer 1999
Exp
What part of the linkage did you spray oil on, if it was the gearbox end, did you notice any threaded adjusters (cable drive) or pinch bolts (direct rod drive) ?
Is there any slop/play when you wiggle the gear lever, can you pull back the gear lever shroud and see if there's any wear in the plastic bushings ?
I would have thought a decent garage might have told you there was wear in the linkage and offered to sort it during the box replacement, so it might just need a slight "settling in" adjustment to the linkage, can't you go back to the people that changed it and let them have a look ?
Hi I didn't look as to what was there when i sprayed it just reached down and give it a god coating.
no play in the gear leaver seems OK. i pulled back the gear leaver shroud and sprayed it it seemed clean and in good order but im no expert. Yes i can take it to the place it was done but i was the previous owner that had it done and they are in Bolton im in east yorkshire so wanted to rule out any dart things before doing the 200 mile round trip. thanks for the reply.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
There is a fair chance that the gear linkage wasnt adjusted when the recon box was refitted , but just connected up . It might only need setting up to suit the slight difference with the new box . even gearlevers that go direct into the box can benefit from a slight adjustment when fitting a new box . Even a millimeter here or there can make a major difference .

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Check the oil, to see if it is emulsified.

Well known Problem in those mk2 cabs water from the skuttle dripping on the gearbox.

Peugeot has a modification that take's the water to the back of the gearbox

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
If it’s only second gear,doesn’t that indicate that it’s not just a need for general lubrication?
People used to talk about worn selectors.........does that apply here? Or as somebody has already said it may need some plastic bushes.

I’ve no idea,just thinking aloud.

OP
OP
T

tooter

Free Member
Nov 26, 2019
Funster No
MH
Peugeot boxer 1999
Exp
Hi thanks for the replies Im going to take it to a local garage to investigate. Asked them to lubricate the linkage check for wear and check the oil levels hopefully it's one of those if not I'll ring the garage that done the recon.

Feb 16, 2017
Southampton
Funster No
MH
AT tracker 2002
Exp
On n off fer years
Mines a 1999 model ( petrol ) and the cables are behind a plastic shroud on the floor under the dash. The gearboxes have got to have the right grade of oil and be slightly overfilled due to 5th gear being right at the top. My van had the box rebuilt before I got it ( £1500 !)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Hi thanks for the replies Im going to take it to a local garage to investigate. Asked them to lubricate the linkage check for wear and check the oil levels hopefully it's one of those if not I'll ring the garage that done the recon.
Did you have any luck?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back