Free Member
Jun 24, 2020
Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Nyroca
Exp
Since 2014 previously with a Conway since 2000
Just returned from France after 14 years with our French camper and guess what! can’t get gas as we only have French 13 kg bottles, and they aren’t acceptable in the UK!. So we bit the bullet and decided to buy a bottle of Calor only to be told we can’t get it because we don’t have one to exchange! We were told that Calor have restricted sales to customers who have a bottle to exchange! HELP! has anyone else had this problem,and how did you solve it?

OP
OP
Capn zlog

Capn zlog

Free Member
Jun 24, 2020
Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Nyroca
Exp
I like the idea but where do I get Safefill?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just returned from France after 14 years with our French camper and guess what! can’t get gas as we only have French 13 kg bottles, and they aren’t acceptable in the UK!. So we bit the bullet and decided to buy a bottle of Calor only to be told we can’t get it because we don’t have one to exchange! We were told that Calor have restricted sales to customers who have a bottle to exchange! HELP! has anyone else had this problem,and how did you solve it?
Why? How are you supposed to set up a new system if they won't sell you a bottle.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I would say for quick fix , look on local ads, someone is usually giving away unwanted calor cylinders, or try local tip they might give you one of the many they will have

then you can research refills options at your leisure 👍

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Depends upon how long will you be in U.K. with the camper. Perhaps a refillable system would be the best long term solution.
Calor's restriction is news to me. Maybe try several Calor stockists? There are usually Calor cylinders on eBay.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I would say for quick fix , look on local ads, someone is usually giving away unwanted calor cylinders, or try local tip they might give you one of the many they will have

then you can research refills options at your leisure 👍
You will also need the proper regulater, french ones won't fit.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Like David above I suggest your local recycling centre.

OP
OP
Capn zlog

Capn zlog

Free Member
Jun 24, 2020
Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Nyroca
Exp
Thanks will look into safe fill on line! To answer the other reply they didn’t offer an alternative , just sorry can’t sell you one without a return! So it became a circular argument!

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
You could also try BP Gaslight (these take the same 27mm clip-on adaptor as the French Le Cube bottles) - if its an emergency they're available from Homebase (who appear to have plenty of stock)....but at a ridiculously expensive price. Other places also do the Gaslight bottles. and much cheaper, so it'd pay to shop around a bit if you can.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
calor charge about £30 for the deposit on the cylinder and only return a diminishing percentage as the years pass. It is common for second hand empty cylinders to sell on facebook or gumtree for up to £15

If you are local to Bournemouth I have an empty for £10

the way the calor system works they have deposit bands with 3.9 kg and 6kg red propane cylinders in the same band as 4.5kg and 7kg butane cylinders. you can exchange any in this group for another in the same group

Not all retailers for calor have the ability to actually rent you a cylinder including deposit, only exchange cylinders

OP
OP
Capn zlog

Capn zlog

Free Member
Jun 24, 2020
Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Fleurette Nyroca
Exp
Many thanks for your support! I have had some excellent suggestions and will follow them up 🤗

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
We are a Calor agent and we haven't been told of any changes, if some one comes in and takes out a new Calor agreement they walk away with a bottle! Its that simple!

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Tried that but was told it was illegal!
I was told the same at my local tip. The guy said they had to be returned to the original company but I suspect they put them on eBay for their holiday fund, the same as a lot of the other rescued 'rubbish'.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks will look into safe fill on line! To answer the other reply they didn’t offer an alternative , just sorry can’t sell you one without a return! So it became a circular argument!

Sounds like an Indian call centre.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back