French now getting sniffy about their recipes (1 Viewer)

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

Not a bad idea, actually…….but all things evolve​

FRENCH SENATOR, STOP FOREIGN RESTAURANTS ‘DOCTORATE’ OUR TRADITIONAL DISHES​

Publisher Center | July 26, 2022 | World Cuisine | <Broken link removed>

A French senator is presenting a proposal to preserve the country’s best regional cuisine, “like literature, music or art,” and prevent restaurants or catering companies from dwelling on recipes beyond recognition for financial gain.

Conservative Senator Alexandra Borchio-Fontimp of the Republican Party of Alpes-Maritimes is teaming up with a group of intellectual property lawyers and chefs to propose new culinary creations to promote “French cuisine” alongside traditional recipes. Art”.
France’s gastronomic dish has already been named a Unesco world heritage treasure, and the country has a brutal naming system for wine and cheese. However, individual recipes are not protected by any French law.
However, keepers of traditional French dishes see red when green beans are added to Salade niçoise, the famous Riviera dish served with hard-boiled eggs, anchovies, and olives – what locals see as illegitimate inclusions.

Flamiche, a leek pie from Picardy, is miserable when topped with camembert when only the cream is enough—and yuzu goes feathery when Normandy’s centuries-old cooked rice buds are mixed with teurgoule served with a scone.

‘YOU CALL YOUR SALAD SOMETHING ELSE!’​

“French gastronomy plays an important role in our country’s international standing,” Borchio-Fontimp said in a message to the culture minister calling for action last month.
“In fact, culinary recipes show French diversity and richness and should be protected just like artistic or musical creations.”
“However, existing legal texts do not seem to frame the preservation of recipes in an adequate and appropriate system.”
This has left “traditional recipes open to tampering” and new culinary creations copied by “unscrupulous competitors”.
“Some restaurateurs and food industry groups are taking advantage of the popularity of dishes like salade niçoise to get around the (traditional) recipe,” Le Figaro said. “Is it because some materials are too expensive?” she asked. “In which case you call your salad something else!”
“In any case, it’s a disgrace to all restaurateurs who make an effort to tinker with the ingredients of these dishes to make money, respecting the region and the cuisine. “Our departments, France, are made up of many local identities that need to be preserved.”

THE ‘OFFICIAL REGISTRY’ OF PROTECTED RECIPES​

He teamed up with two associations – Toqualoi and the Cuisine niçoise collective – to call for action.
They propose to create an “official register” of protected recipes. “A restaurant operator must respect their historic content in order to have the right to put them on your menu,” said Thimothée Fringans-Ozanne, a Lyon-based lawyer and Toqualoi president.
As for new culinary creations with his own “unique signature”, Borchio-Fontimp said they can be protected through a “classic intellectual property rights” system that protects against counterfeiting.
He added that the next step is to propose “a clear, precise and efficient legal framework” and then draft a law that will help promote the French culinary arts, adding that the idea has received widespread political support.

<Broken link removed>

OP
OP
DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Bouillabaisse…….. nobody can ruin that as you chuck all the crap that nobody will buy into the pot..

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
In France now, and yesterday at French restaurant for lunch offering a range of salad. One of which the wife had. A Norwegian salad. Salomon, feta cheese, pineapple, capers, and then the standard salad stuff. Mmmm. Norwegian, pineapple, feta, 🙈🙈

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Much like Melton Mowbray pork pies then .....

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Writes out 100 times ...

I must not do the obvious joke.
etc

Is that bonking in the back of a Ford Transit? Asking for a friend……. :imoutahere:
Too easy 🤣🤣

Deleted User
We have lived in France for 15 years and can say that the general standard of fare served up, particularly at lunchtimes, is pish.

OP
OP
DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
We have lived in France for 15 years and can say that the general standard of fare served up, particularly at lunchtimes, is pish.
Some good, some bad, but some very good indeed. Thought could do without the sniffy lecture from the waiter for ordering the “wrong” wine. Who is paying for the meal anyway, pal?

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I can’t say I rate French food, but then my favourite dish is ( and always has been) beef burgers , beans and chips.

If that offends the French then all well and good(y)

OP
OP
DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I can’t say I rate French food, but then my favourite dish is ( and always has been) beef burgers , beans and chips.

I love the way the French say “Bon week-end” to each other….. which bit of Franglais is so much better than “Bon fin de semaine“………. Rosbif 1 Les frogs 0

Deleted User

Regardless of the claims about "haute cuisine", the French national dish apparently is "Steak Frites"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back