Jun 14, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79/6
Exp
Newbies
Hi,
We are going on a 10/7 rally to port Grimaud south of France in May. Looking at hopping over the border into Italy for another couple of weeks. Probably heading to Florence for a few days. Does anyone have any advice on routes, places to stay Must sees etc?
Also best route down to the south of France, don’t mind some tolls but not all toll roads as we are going to spend a few days getting there, so would be nice to see some places on the way down, preferably stopping at Aires. Any advice gratefully received Thank you.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
How many days do you anticipate taking to get from Grimaud to Florence and dates (roughly)
Lakes, Waterfalls, Clues, Gorges, Beautiful villages? Cycling, walking ? Banon cheese festival is middle of May sometime and there will be several others. How far inland from the coast do you want to leave ?

OP
OP
Sylvia Want
Jun 14, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79/6
Exp
Newbies
How many days do you anticipate taking to get from Grimaud to Florence and dates (roughly)
Lakes, Waterfalls, Clues, Gorges, Beautiful villages? Cycling, walking ? Banon cheese festival is middle of May sometime and there will be several others. How far inland from the coast do you want to leave ?
Thank you
Leaving Grimaud on the 20th May. We will have 2 weeks including the time we spend in Florence. Looking to see some of the lovely countryside, lakes waterfalls etc sounds lovely. We will be taking bikes, but also tow a motorcycle so we can easily travel once sited.
10/7 refers to days (10) 2/52 would be 2 weeks Sorry it’s nursing/medical terms. I tend to forget and revert to it.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
First up, check out Banon cheese festival and there will be numerous other festivals about in Provence around that time.
If hanging around Provence for 3/4 (thats 3 or 4 to you !) days then I have numerous swimming clues and gorges to go with Waterfalls and lakes.
The motorbike will be extremely useful for some of the clues and also using Pugets les theniers as a base for a couple of fantastic bike rides up the gorges du daluis and gorges d'esperron.
Normal favourites of gorges du verdon and lac de st croix will come up with sillans la cascade but it may depend upon which way you detour from the coast which will be heavy around Nice and round Italy.
I m on to my last glass of wine tonight so will bung some photos and ideas for this area tomorrow sometime which will easily keep you busy for those days
Can I assume aires for staying over ?
1641683559825.png

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
While rare be advised that you can still get snow in may on some of The passes we got stuck 5 years ago and had to wait half a day for the local snow plough to be called

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
suavecarve , how and where do you get over
I have a trip in the planning for Wexford- Italy France -(Dublin) -<or possible> Netherlands - Schotland - Belfast
And I like my waterfalls View attachment 573678
We go over via tunnel and if heading Provence we take the Paris Clermont route and shoot across the Ardeche.
The best advice I can give is to buy a book (preferably the second edition) called "Wild Swimming in France" by Daniel Start. It is an absolute bible of out of the way places that include some spots even the locals dont know about.
For example the clue de pierrefeu, we have been there 3 times and never met anyone there. You have the place all to yourself. They do allow gorging there but only on certain days of the year. A few pics on this thread https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/showcase/clue-de-pierrefeu.309/
Another well worthy trick is to go to google maps within the area you are or are heading to and then search for "cascade" (in france) and then hit the return button, this gives you all the cascades eg
1641716515166.png

Or search for clue (Clue is a gorge where it is generally possible to scramble (mostly without ropes) a sort of walkable gorge (or that is my definition)
1641716716819.png

NB some of these roads to these clues are best described as challenging for a motorhome Post number 23 of here for video of one of the access routes https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/video-of-the-day-thread.255302/

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you like markets, go through at the Menton border crossing on a Friday, and visit the ventamiglia market, fantastic ambiance, been loads and still want to go back.
Reputably the largest market in Europe but it's not the only one that claims this so might not be right but , hell it's big.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I would recommend the Cinque Terre. 5 villages on the coast with train links between them. There is a Sosta (Aire) and campsite in Levanto, which is a nice small Italian seaside resort a few miles North of the villages. You can get a day ticket for the trains from there which is the best way to access the villages.

You can also walk the coastal path between the villages which is breathtaking (in more than one sense!). We walked from Monterosso to Vernazza, which was spectacular. That was about 6 years ago, but I am not sure we could do it now!

Fabulous coastline which is much better than the Amalfi coast in my opinion. But best to steer clear of weekends and public holidays as the villages and trains get very busy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back