France and 3.5 ton (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Been looking at the threads re these new regs, but can not find what weight rating the french use to measure the 3.5 ton. As we all know from previous threads there are 3 weights given for vehicles. Hope I ain't confused you.
And a 3.5 ton marked rd, is that the max weight allowed, for say a bridge that is classed as weak, so if a vehicle with a max weighting of 3.5 ton but is empty and is say 3.050 ton can that still use the rd, as it's under the max weight for the bridge, does that apply in france as well.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The majority of French roads with a 3.5t limit are signed with the addition of a lorry silhouette.
That means no HGV's and are usually to stop large trucks going through small towns/villages. Doesn’t apply to motorhomes.
If there is no truck silhouette then it applies to all vehicles including Camping- Cars and might well be because of a weak bridge or narrow streets.

The max weight of your van will be on the makers plate, usually under the bonnet or by the drivers door and also the registered gross weight on your V5.

The French of course consider all camping-cars to be under 3.5t. It makes life so much easier. :france: :rofl:

Richard.

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
When stopped to be checked in France a few years ago, the polite policeman wanted the V5, ignored plates etc. They entered the V5 revenue weight on their machine, checked the weight on pads, the light went green and off we went.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Confusion often arises because of ton and tonne.

Weights in both the UK and Europe are determined within the … https://www.bipm.org/documents/2012...9-EN.pdf/2d2b50bf-f2b4-9661-f402-5f9d66e4b507

1 tonne is = 1000 Kg

simple explanation in Wikipedia. My V5 shows my weight as 3500kg. 3.5t on French signs are 3.5tonne, so 3500kg.

7EF71420-EC78-42BA-ADE7-5FD04DAE54AA.png
7EF71420-EC78-42BA-ADE7-5FD04DAE54AA.png

OP
OP
vzac
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Hi both, me being a bit thick at times, revenue weight, gross weight, yet v5 says permissible and mass in service. Help what is what ?

OP
OP
vzac
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Confusion often arises because of ton and tonne.

Weights in both the UK and Europe are determined within the … https://www.bipm.org/documents/2012...9-EN.pdf/2d2b50bf-f2b4-9661-f402-5f9d66e4b507

1 tonne is = 1000 Kg

simple explanation in Wikipedia. My V5 shows my weight as 3500kg. 3.5t on French signs are 3.5tonne, so 3500kg.

View attachment 544006View attachment 544006
Thanks my mistake on tonne and ton. I get that bit, it's what do they actually measure against on the v5 I was meaning, I am not very clear on what I ask sometimes.

Dec 1, 2020
Brassempouy, south west France
Funster No
MH
Hymer B878 SL
Exp
Since Feb 2020
We've been resident in France for 7 years and, like most camping cars in France we are permanently over the weight limit. It's not how we like it but most of these vehicles are manufactured to include all possible add-ons leaving precious little capacity for persons or gear. The ffcc (French Federation of Camping Cars) is constantly lobbying the government to up-rate the weight limit on the car licence to 4.2 tons for camping cars only. It's ironic that in France you can drive a car and caravan up to 7.5? tons on a car licence, which is far more of a handful than a camping car.

OP
OP
vzac
Aug 26, 2021
Fleetwood, UK
Funster No
MH
a class Burstner
Hi jofang,
We used to own a property in south west france but to the north east of the south west ( that's what the local french said it was anyway. Nr figeac. Loved the house, the place and the people. But due us both being made redundant within a couple of months of each other we sold up, both home and france. With hindsight we did not need to but a bit of panic set in, which changed our lives. Now we are about to retire we intend to travel in france a lot. Love the place, most of the people and miss the quiet, wildlife, and night markets in the summer. Thanks for the reply.

Dec 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B878 SL
Exp
Since Feb 2020
Hi Vzac, great to hear from you. We know Figeac, not far from us. There's still plenty of property for sale here at far better prices than in the UK, plus the weather, quiet roads, great food and you can park & sleep almost anywhere. Camping car heaven.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
We've been resident in France for 7 years and, like most camping cars in France we are permanently over the weight limit. It's not how we like it but most of these vehicles are manufactured to include all possible add-ons leaving precious little capacity for persons or gear. The ffcc (French Federation of Camping Cars) is constantly lobbying the government to up-rate the weight limit on the car licence to 4.2 tons for camping cars only. It's ironic that in France you can drive a car and caravan up to 7.5? tons on a car licence, which is far more of a handful than a camping car.
Same in the UK now.

Not sure if for hire or reward though. I guess you still need a tach unless less than 50km from base I think.

Cheers James

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Thanks my mistake on tonne and ton. I get that bit, it's what do they actually measure against on the v5 I was meaning, I am not very clear on what I ask sometimes.
It may be more helpful, as I cannot find any other leaflets or information from a quick web search, to look at the form you require to register a vehicle. This gives a number of weights and where you can find them. Most applicable to the mass weight also refer to the revenue weight on the V5C and are shown in your vehicles certificate of conformity.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Just looked at my V5C and it is blank for "Technical Permissible Maximum Towable mass of the Trailer" for braked and unbraked.

The vehicle plate says that it is a mass of 3500 and max train weight of 5500, but shouldn't the V5C reflect that in towing weights?

Aug 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Wildax
Exp
~20 years
Just looked at my V5C and it is blank for "Technical Permissible Maximum Towable mass of the Trailer" for braked and unbraked.

The vehicle plate says that it is a mass of 3500 and max train weight of 5500, but shouldn't the V5C reflect that in towing weights?
When we caravanned, that V5C field was blank for my towcar. I think it often is. I wouldn't worry about it.

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
When we caravanned, that V5C field was blank for my towcar. I think it often is. I wouldn't worry about it.
Thanks, you are right, I am not hugely concerned!

But as mentioned in post #3 above, I think I would rather have the plate and the V5C carry the same info. You just never know when you are going to encounter an officer of the law, who that day had found that his/her wife/husband and been carrying on with the neighbour!

I am going to contact DVLA and get chapter and verse on V5C and plate disparity.

Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
OK, you can't use the phone to talk to DVLA. Their number 0300 790 6802 doesn't allow you to speak to anyone anymore.
Their webchat service is a black hole that never shifts from telling you to wait.
I emailed them through their website online submission form. Got a reply that told me to reply back if I had a query
Sent a follow up. No acknowledgement so I suspect it was sent to the Office for Lego Recycling or something.

Anyone got any other ideas for getting this taxpayer funded system to talk to a taxpayer?

Dec 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer B878 SL
Exp
Since Feb 2020
If you think it's difficult with the DVLA in the UK you should come to France. I applied for my C1 and despite qualifying for it in the UK it took almost 18 months for it to be refused. We have many UK seniors here that have an expired UK licence and are waiting over a year for a reply from the French authorities and are meanwhile unable to drive. We don't have the scenario here that says once you've applied your licence it's valid until it's refused, you have to wait until you receive notification of approval.

Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
When stopped to be checked in France a few years ago, the polite policeman wanted the V5, ignored plates etc. They entered the V5 revenue weight on their machine, checked the weight on pads, the light went green and off we went.

Good morning,

Congratulations , you are the first person I have heard of being weighed in France

HKF

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2021
The Charente, France
Funster No
MH
Benimar Europe 740
Exp
Since August 2021
The majority of French roads with a 3.5t limit are signed with the addition of a lorry silhouette.
That means no HGV's and are usually to stop large trucks going through small towns/villages. Doesn’t apply to motorhomes.
If there is no truck silhouette then it applies to all vehicles including Camping- Cars and might well be because of a weak bridge or narrow streets.

The max weight of your van will be on the makers plate, usually under the bonnet or by the drivers door and also the registered gross weight on your V5.

The French of course consider all camping-cars to be under 3.5t. It makes life so much easier. :france: :rofl:

Richard.

I've seen a few people in MoHos ignore the lorry sign on entry to a village local to us (in France). They really regret it when they get to the very tight bend in the road, where you risk your rear end going through the pharmacy window!! :oops::cry:

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Good morning,

Congratulations , you are the first person I have heard of being weighed in France
My first and only time, they were pulling all motorhomes and caravans on the N21 heading south, very well set up on a roundabout with an exit onto a tarmacced space.. Despite knowing I was under weight, I sat there getting worried.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back