Forum post quoting trend...? (2 Viewers)

Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
What's the story with the habit of quoting the previous post in ones reply? Is it new, have I missed a trick?

Plenty of posters for example add post #1 as a quote into their reply post #2, and then go on to respond in post #2 to post #1 and so on...!

On occasions, they then post #3 after they quoted #1 in their #2 with a reply, is something broken?

I can see the value in quoting when a thread drifts and someone needs to regain context to the OP but otherwise find it odd. Is it a technical thing, forum etiquette, or...?

(Waits expectantly for someone to immediately quote this post in their reply...) ;)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Nothing new about it, it's been a feature for years. It helps with context when one has not been signed on for some time and is replying to a specific item which is several posts higher up the thread (unlike this reply which comes immediately after your post so does not need to quote it 🙂 ).

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
unlike this reply which comes immediately after your post so does not need to quote it

But on fast moving threads, by the time you hit ‘post reply’ it may well be several posts down and lose context

Edit

Although this did also appear immediately after so maybe didn’t need the quote 🤔😁

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Essential in my book, otherwise you get folks misconstruing someone’s response when it was intended for someone else. It would be chaotic otherwise, particularly given the extent of thread drift that occurs!

Ian

PS I resisted quoting your post! 🤣🤣🤣

OP
OP
Andacami
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
Yes I know as per my paragraph 4 above. However I have just hit the "Reply" button and it automatically quoted your response!

That I guess explains it.

OP
OP
Andacami
Nov 5, 2019
Arkley, Barnet, UK
Funster No
MH
Corinium Duo
Exp
Relative newbie
So the reply button works like the quote button at the moment, problem solved, was doing my head trying to figure it out :giggle:

Jim Any chance of making the reply button reply as opposed to quote?

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Without quoting all or part of what your reply is responding to you can find you’re comment is out of sequence and not making sense.
The look of the post box has changed.
+Quote has always been there.
But Reply is the new version of what was Quote

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
Agree 100%.

It's the behaviour of the reply button that is the culprit.
You (Andacami )have only recently started to use “Reply” to add a post though.
Clicking on the word bottom right in a post has always done what you are finding.
It’s just now called “Reply” rather than “Quote”

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It's the behaviour of the reply button that is the culprit
Its not a culprit, its just doing its job :D.

If you want to reply to a specific post hit reply. If you want to just add your tuppence, scroll to the bottom of the thread and add it.

IMO it's not the reply that confuses, its +quote, it used to say Multi-Quote but it breaks on small screens.

1676453009005.png

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Not being Computer tech minded, what I miss is the 'How to use the forum' (or something like that) from the blue banner.

I still haven't figured out how to transfer an article from a Newspaper, into my post without taking a photograph of it and transferring that?

Ignore that, I've just found where it's hiding, oh no I didn't, I thought it was under the Hamburger, but but Jim has shown me the way! :LOL:

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
what I miss is the 'How to use the forum' (or something like that) from the blue banner.

Bottom of every page on the site. Click that and the tutorials you need are there (y)
1676454209123.png

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
But on fast moving threads, by the time you hit ‘post reply’ it may well be several posts down and lose context

Edit

Although this did also appear immediately after so maybe didn’t need the quote 🤔😁
I agree, but when I posted the thread was not fast moving and I think I was the only person viewing it so thought it was pretty safe :giggle:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Agree 100%.

It's the behaviour of the reply button that is the culprit.
No it behaves correctly, you are replying to that post or part of it.

Being able to quote the post is often essential otherwise if the thread has moved on a few posts no one will have a clue what your post means.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Yes I know as per my paragraph 4 above. However I have just hit the "Reply" button and it automatically quoted your response!

That I guess explains it.
I have never noticed that before!

Saves having to do the +quote thing 😀

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back