Fitting Thetford C200 toilet (1 Viewer)

Blutarsky

Free Member
May 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Hi everyone - first time poster, hoping some toilet expert can help me out.

I am going to fit a Thetford C200 in my van and want some details on the difference between the manual and electric versions. Unfortunately the information I've found so far is a bit unclear.

I was going to buy a manual version and avoid the necessity to run power to the toilet. However, it looks like this may mean I need a separate filling point to fill the toilet's flush tank as it won't draw water from my main water tank. The electric model on the other hand, is advertised as drawing water from the main tank to flush.

As I understand it:

Manual = no power needed, but needs additional water inlet to fill flush tank
Electric = needs power, but draws water from main tank to flush

Is this correct? If so, what option would people go for?

I am yet to insulate the van and have just about completed first fix wiring, so adding wiring for the toilet at this point wouldn't be a major issue. If I am going to go that route, what gauge cable would I need for a Thetford toilet, on a roughly 6-7m run?

Thanks in advance

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Do you really mean a C200? I believe they have been discontinued.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Do you really mean a C200? I believe they have been discontinued.

BTW, if you do, I did once have a C200 in a caravan that was genuinely not electrical. Used a twisty handle to pump water from the integrated flush water tank. I haven't come across any toilets that use an external water supply that don't use electrics for either a solenoid valve or electric pump.

I would go for an electric version. Less hassle, easier to use. The only real disadvantage (other than the extra wiring) is that you can't use pink liquid in the flush tank (unless you want it coming out of your taps as well!).

Looking at the C200's replacement, the C224-CW has manual flush from a flush tank, and the C223-S and C223-CS use external water connection with electrical connection (not checked if they're pump or solenoid).

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Not sure how the flush system works on those with a separate flush tank - doesn't it need some sort of power to operate the flush valve? Which then is basically the same as the electric as, by your description, the flush water is supplied from the main freshwater tank, by electric pump in standard production vans. Apart from having the ability to put additive in a separate flush tank I can't see any benefit - and it's another tank to empty when frost-proofing.

To be honest, never heard the terms "manual" or "electric" applied to cassette toilets.

Confused dot com

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Not sure how the flush system works on those with a separate flush tank - doesn't it need some sort of power to operate the flush valve? Which then is basically the same as the electric as, by your description, the flush water is supplied from the main freshwater tank, by electric pump in standard production vans. Apart from having the ability to put additive in a separate flush tank I can't see any benefit - and it's another tank to empty when frost-proofing.

To be honest, never heard the terms "manual" or "electric" applied to cassette toilets.

Confused dot com

Manual means you physically pump the water out of the flush tank. Electric means you just push a button and the flush is powered by an electric pump (either built into the toilet, or your main pump).

Upvote 0

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
yes you need an external point to fill, better with electric, only 2 wires to connect +/- with fuse of course,

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I thought the 'electric' version simply meant there's a flush button, which activates your fresh water pump, the same as turning on a microswitched tap?

Upvote 0

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I thought the 'electric' version simply meant there's a flush button, which activates your fresh water pump, the same as turning on a microswitched tap?

There are two main designs, one that the push button opens a solenoid, to allow flush water to flow (you don't want the toilet flushing any time your pump runs). There are "microswitch" terminals to run demand signal to the external pump if it requires one.

The other type puts an air gap in and then pumps the water itself to the bowl. This allows a more accurate flush as it doesn't depend on your main pump pressure. Again, a relay provides "microswitch" signal to your main pump if required.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2021
Fareham, UK
Funster No
MH
Now sold
Exp
Since 2015
I have a C200, electric flush, separate flush tank. Push button to flush, takes pink additive. Easy to drain as there is only a rubber bung and you just drain it into a jug or receptacle inside the cassette locker. Takes 5 minutes and then just leave the bung out during the winter when drained down.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Blutarsky

Free Member
May 18, 2021
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Thanks everyone - have opted for an electric model. I didn't mean a c200, but the latest version in the c2XX series - have ordered a c223CS.

Upvote 0

Bustup15

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs I 7820-2
Exp
New to motorhomes 2019
Hi everyone - first time poster, hoping some toilet expert can help me out.

I am going to fit a Thetford C200 in my van and want some details on the difference between the manual and electric versions. Unfortunately the information I've found so far is a bit unclear.

I was going to buy a manual version and avoid the necessity to run power to the toilet. However, it looks like this may mean I need a separate filling point to fill the toilet's flush tank as it won't draw water from my main water tank. The electric model on the other hand, is advertised as drawing water from the main tank to flush.

As I understand it:

Manual = no power needed, but needs additional water inlet to fill flush tank
Electric = needs power, but draws water from main tank to flush

Is this correct? If so, what option would people go for?

I am yet to insulate the van and have just about completed first fix wiring, so adding wiring for the toilet at this point wouldn't be a major issue. If I am going to go that route, what gauge cable would I need for a Thetford toilet, on a roughly 6-7m run?

Thanks in advance
If you are interested I will have a electric swivel model available shortly. Its from a May 2019 Dethleffs as I am upgrading to a macerator toilet and black tank. From memory it is a C260 series but will confirm and I also have a spare cassette virtually brand new and spare seat unused. In addition I have upgraded this to the Thetford sog equivalent to vent the cassette externally, compete with a new pack of carbon filters

What more could you want!

PM me if interested - note the door hatch is not included

IMG_20210402_105906.jpg
IMG_20210514_180800.jpg

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread