Firestick (1 Viewer)

Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
Thinking of getting one but don't no anything about one.
have a avtex tv with the port.
like it for netflix etc.

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
-Works well via 4g via my iPhone
good as long as 4g available and you have generous data contract, just hope Brexit doesn’t spoil data use in Europe.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
I’ve just got one but you need a 240v source close to TV which is another job l have to sort.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I’ve just got one but you need a 240v source close to TV which is another job l have to sort.
You can try putting the usb lead into the tv to power it.....a lot of TVs supply enough power through their USB ports.

Failing that put the usb plug into a 12v cigarette adapter.

My Avtex powers mine from its USB port and also works the same way in my kitchen tv at home.

I’ve also just changed to a 4K one in the van.....not for the resolution, it has a faster processor and a better WiFi antenna in it.

OP
OP
laurieash
Jan 29, 2014
Scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
July 2013
What sort of power will it use with my tv?
Tv alone uses 3.33amp.
as I do a lot of wilding

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
You can try putting the usb lead into the tv to power it.....a lot of TVs supply enough power through their USB ports.

My Avtex powers mine from its USB port and also works the same way in my kitchen tv at home.

I’ve also just changed to a 4K one in the van.....not for the resolution, it has a faster processor and a better WiFi antenna in it.

l thought of that but understood the USB to be an input port? It’s right next to the HDMI port that l would use for the FS.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp

We have a small battery pack you can charge your phone with, as the van is new and I didn’t have time before our recent holiday to fit a socket I used this and it powered the FS no problem.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
l thought of that but understood the USB to be an input port? It’s right next to the HDMI port that l would use for the FS.
The USB port will have 5v at about 500mA which is the standard for usb 1 and 2, though some tv manufactures ignore the standard and skimp on the usb power
If you can’t put the usb plug in because of the fire stick body....use the little HDMI adapter flex that comes with the fire stick so it hangs out of the way.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
We have a small battery pack you can charge your phone with, as the van is new and I didn’t have time before our recent holiday to fit a socket I used this and it powered the FS no problem.
Try connecting it to your tv’s usb.....it may work for you.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Now I have to find what a battery Pac looks like.
Before you spend more money....try the usb lead in the tv, it may work.

On my kitchen tv, the fire stick warns about the power when you do an update, but has never done any harm in the three years it’s been there.....it doesn’t complain on the Avtex tv in the van tho

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Well worth getting, and yes get the 4K one. It is much better.
Hadn't thought of powering it from the usb point in the Avtex, will give that a go. Thanks (y)

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
AJM2
If you do power it from the tv, it turns off when you turn the tv off.

If you plug it into a 12v cigarette lighter adapter or 240 it will be using power all the time it’s plugged in regardless of the tv being off.

it does however take a few moments longer to boot back up when you turn the tv on, although the 4K one boots quite fast now.

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Yes, def in my opinion. I have had both and a noticeable upgrade to the 4k.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

Mine flashed up message insufficient power but worked anyway and is still fine 6 month later

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
Ok thanks all job sorted.
Will look for prices.
Laurie
If your not in a great rush, Amazon have sales on their own devices about twice a year and it’s a good old saving.

or look in the Amazon warehouse for a returned one or a Amazon certified refurbished one.

other than that the prices are just about fixed everywhere......

kevenh

Free Member
Jun 1, 2019
Thatcham
Funster No
MH
Compass C-Class
Exp
I'm a Progressing Newbie
If your not in a great rush, Amazon have sales on their own devices about twice a year and it’s a good old saving.

or look in the Amazon warehouse for a returned one or a Amazon certified refurbished one.

other than that the prices are just about fixed everywhere......
Yes, put "nice to have" items in a WishList at Amazon & look for sale prices ;)
(the items you'd like but could suffer with out - lol )

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Try connecting it to your tv’s usb.....it may work for you.
I thought about that but I’m sure someone on here had issues with their Avtex and this had caused it, plus the power pack is the size of a phone so no issues until I fit a socket.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I thought about that but I’m sure someone on here had issues with their Avtex and this had caused it, plus the power pack is the size of a phone so no issues until I fit a socket.
I’ve never had any problems and have done this since the fire stick first came out....maybe I’m just lucky?

How did they determine that the fire stick plugged in this way was the cause of the damage to the tv....if it was that way round?

Last edited:

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Anyone with a Firestick, wanting to upgrade, can get 20% off currently?. I use the USB on the home T-V to power my Chromecast?, and that`s about 5 years old now. the T-V is even older!.

Feb 17, 2017
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
A Bit
I have been using one in the van for ages now, just plug it into the HDMI and the USB on the (Avtex) TV, log it onto my phone hotspot and it works perfectly well whenever I have used it, even if it didn't work from the telly surely you could just plug it into any other usb supply in the van (assuming you have some connected to your 12 volt system) I have never tried it or needed to but would think it would work.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I’ve never had any problems and have done this since the fire stick first came out....maybe I’m just lucky?

How did they determine that the fire stick was the cause of the damage to the tv....if it was that way round?

I may be wrong I just have something in the back of my mind that someone posted it, I might be talking through a hole in my head again 😂😂

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
I may be wrong I just have something in the back of my mind that someone posted it, I might be talking through a hole in my head again 😂😂
I’m not doubting what you have read.......I’m just curious as I’d hate to damage the ridiculously expensive Avtex pro in the van.

I’m not bothered about the domestic tv’s in the house, but my Avtex has been fine like that since I bought it But I’d hate it to pop👍🏼

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Personally, the lack of HBO support on a Firestick would make it a no-go for me. If this is important to you as well, I would suggest looking at this one by Xiaomi. Is basically exactly the same thing but supports a wider range of streaming services.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back