Fiat - Service Plans (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
So, having had the new Van for three months now, was thinking about whether to do a service plan Or not, as it fixes the price and you then know what future costs will be.
Have just spoken to Desira, at Bury St Edmunds, (although you get put through to a central office😡), and they said they do one for the first three services. 2 year, 4 years and 6 years which includes the auxiliary belts. For £1,825.62, or £28per month.

Now, I know modern oils.....etc, but I’m still old school, and like to change the oil at least every year.
Have also just spoke to Guest at Peterborough, and they are also going to put a plan together for me, but to also include a annual oil change as well. I have to say, the chap I spoke to at Guest, was so much more helpful and informative.

so, what are people’s thoughts on service plans? Anyone bother with them Here?
With prices going upwards every year, and our plan is to keep this Van long term, it just sort of makes some sense to fix the prices and future proof future Outlay.
any comments gratefully received, before I sign anything👍

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
So, having had the new Van for three months now, was thinking about whether to do a service plan Or not, as it fixes the price and you then know what future costs will be.
Have just spoken to Desira, at Bury St Edmunds, (although you get put through to a central office😡), and they said they do one for the first three services. 2 year, 4 years and 6 years which includes the auxiliary belts. For £1,825.62, or £28per month.

Now, I know modern oils.....etc, but I’m still old school, and like to change the oil at least every year.
Have also just spoke to Guest at Peterborough, and they are also going to put a plan together for me, but to also include a annual oil change as well. I have to say, the chap I spoke to at Guest, was so much more helpful and informative.

so, what are people’s thoughts on service plans? Anyone bother with them Here?
With prices going upwards every year, and our plan is to keep this Van long term, it just sort of makes some sense to fix the prices and future proof future Outlay.
any comments gratefully received, before I sign anything👍

Without knowing if the service plan will be cheaper than pay-as-you-go annual servicing it is not possible to judge which is better value.

The risk is that, if this is a private deal between customer and dealer, not a plan underwritten by Fiat Chrysler, the benefits won't be honoured by a different Fiat Professional dealer. That might be significant if that dealer goes bust. This happened to my local Fiat Professional dealer Simonstone last December, which closed its doors without warning.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
careful of the small print.
we had a Merc 4yr service plan on wife's car, after exactly 3 years and the day after its 3rd service we sold the car back to merc. we had payed all monthly service premiums to date, so had payed exactly 3 years worth.

The service contracts dept then calculate the actual ( as they see it ) cost of the services to date then charge you accordingly the difference between the actual cost and what premiums have been paid. as the contract was not completed full actual cost had to be paid.

Result was, we had to pay the balance of the difference which was actually more than if we had kept the service plan going for another year and had the 4th year service done.

no amount of phone contact or challenge carried any weight with the service finance dept. As we had sold the car we could not keep the service contract open. Maybe if we had taken out another Merc then we could have done a deal. I am a stickler for the detail and I did not see this clause and it Left real bad taste.

Will we take out any service agreement again? Will we buy a Merc again?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
What do you do if the dealer turns out to give rubbish service? I can see more in it for them than you especially outside manufacturers warranty period.
I would also check it includes the full service at each visit when major ones become due incl pollen filter etc when I looked at one years ago it didn't.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
This is what Adams Morey want for service :
The total costs for the 2 year/30K mile Fiat Scheduled service is £475 including VAT. This will include a oil, pollen, air and fuel filter change, along with an oil and brake fluid change

so your price looks about right if it includes first cam belt change with pump etc?😊

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
If it were me and wanted to spread the cost i would put the £28 / month to one side and not get shackled to one service garage.
6 years is a long time. lots change in that time even if you keep the motorhome.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
This is what Adams Morey want for service :
The total costs for the 2 year/30K mile Fiat Scheduled service is £475 including VAT. This will include a oil, pollen, air and fuel filter change, along with an oil and brake fluid change

so your price looks about right if it includes first cam belt change with pump etc?😊
Sounds cheaper but the op said including auxiliary belts does he mean a timing belt change that would put up the cost.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Sounds cheaper but the op said including auxiliary belts does he mean a timing belt change that would put up the cost.
That was my thinking but he needs to clarify that cam belt change is included as I think that is due at 6 years.🤔

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
That was my thinking but he needs to clarify that cam belt change is included as I think that is due at 6 years.🤔
I wouldn't fancy signing up to have work done in 6 years time and pay for it now upfront!. What happens if circumstances change and you sell after 3 years.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Once the 2 year warranty is over you can get some good discount from the Fiat workshops especially if you have a price for them to match.
Service plans put all of the decisions with the dealer as to what you will get and seldom offer any real saving especially if you have a good independent garage looking after you

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If a cam belt change is included at 5 years not a bad price.
If cam belt not included you could get the servicing done at an independent for a lot less than half the cost.

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
I took out a 4 year 2service deal with a Peugeot dealer in Rochdale. They caught me at a good time for them.
I had done 600 miles and the gearbox had a fault. My local Peugeot dealer in Halifax had messed me about saying my motorhome wouldn’t fit in their workshop after telling me it would.
I ended up at the Rochdale dealer who made a competent repair under warranty. My previous van a PVC had been looked after at a back street garage. It was literally back street and manoeuvring that van in and out was difficult I didn’t fancy it with the new coach built.
So I suppose with the difficulty in finding a willing dealer I went ahead with the plan offered. This was £19.60 per month for 35 months a total of £683 for two services. They have set out exactly what’s covered in each service.
Would I do it again? Probably not but I would look out for local garage that could do it. I am aware of the financial risk of paying up front and would avoid that.

Sep 18, 2015
Selby, North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8066DF
I was in the reception at a Fiat garage and a guy had a service contract and his oil change light came on, but as it was before the 2 year service date they were insisting he had to pay extra for the oil change, not a happy chappy but it was very entertaining for 10 mins or so.

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I use my local garage , small four man set who I can TRUST and only do things that need doing and at much better prices than the main Fiat garage. They like to help you and keep you happy. Try a local man.

colyboy

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
I use my local garage , small four man set who I can TRUST and only do things that need doing and at much better prices than the main Fiat garage. They like to help you and keep you happy. Try a local man.

colyboy

Deleted User
I took out a 5 year service plan for my Honda CRV at a cost of £550 = £110 per service which also included RAC Honda assist. Good value. A no brainer.

spongy

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back