Fiat Ducato Central Locking - Self-activating? (1 Viewer)

Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013
Had an odd situation occur today. The ignition key was in the barrel, and the installer was outside running through some checks as they were finishing off the installation of our E&P levelling system. The guy was outside of the van, checking on the bleeding of the hydraulics at the time this occurred. I believe the system was running up on the rams to balance the motorhome. Both hab and cab door were shut, as were all windows. When the van had levelled off, the installer went to step back into the van, only to find that the central locking had activated and had locked him out.

Tricky situation immediately opened up, as we are situated in Marlow, Bucks, and they are situated in Bolney, West Sussex. The only spare key is with us, and it was looking like a 155 mile round trip for someone to come and fetch the key to be able to gain entry to the cab.

My question is, does anyone recognise this auto-locking behaviour? At this point, I suspect the engine was running, as I understand that the levelling system pulls your starter battery down if you're not feeding volts in whilst you're operating the rams. So, is it a Ducato/Carthago feature that if the engine is running, the hab/cab doors are shut, and the van senses it is being moved vertically that it will operate the central locking capability? Any clues or insights will be gratefully absorbed as this is a bit puzzling at present.

God forbid if we were both outside when the van was levelling up, and the hab door got blown shut, with the keys in the ignition we could very quickly find ourselves locked out in a field :oops: As it transpires, the situation has been resolved (not going to say how they gained entry as the least said about that the better I figure)

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I think if you press unlock on the fob, but then don't open any of the doors, it re-locks in a few minutes?

Ours also activates central locking once we get above about 5mph.

Not sure why either of those two circumstances would happen when using levelling though?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think if you press unlock on the fob, but then don't open any of the doors, it re-locks in a few minutes?

Not sure why either of those two circumstances would happen when using levelling though?
Our Sprinter base does that too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Sunlovers
Oct 21, 2019
Marlow, Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Tourer
Exp
Begun travelling the road in our first van in 2013

Yep, although if the guy had unknowingly caught the lock button when cranking the engine, he still had to leave the vehicle and then shut the door behind himself .... my Jeep auto locks at a given 15mph speed, but I haven't had this van autolock when we travel above a certain speed either. Very puzzling for sure at the moment.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Most new vehicles do that after a few minutes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back