David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
I understand that some French campsites have a two-pin system for EHU as opposed to the UK standard three-pin. Clearly an adaptor is needed. All the ones I've seen online show the blue UK female end (power out) with what looks like an unshielded two-pin plug on the other. Can this be right? I'd have thought there'd be better regard for electrical safety. Can anyone clarify please
A link to an eBay listing or a regular commercial site item page would be helpful.
Thanks
David Guthrie

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
We always use the simple 3 pin to 2 pin converters you'd take on holiday for the wife's hairdryer :)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
It's very rare to find the old two pin sockets on sites in France but it does happen. We always carry a converter but I think I have only used it once, and that was in Spain.

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
Hello David (@David Guthrie)

If you look at the link provided by @Infinity31 you will see that there are two strips which are either sided of the black plug. These are earth rubbing strips and are the norm in much of Europe. The hole in the same plug will take an earth pin in the socket as found in French homes and on some camp sites. These plugs may seem to be "unshielded", but they fit into a recessed socket and it is always the case that the earth pin or the rubbing strips will make contact before the live / neutral.

The adaptors shown in that link can be bought from most motorhome and caravan shops. There is a Funster discount if bought from John's Cross http://www.johnscross.co.uk/caravan-motorhome-mains-continental-adaptor.html

Other on-line suppliers are around, e.g. Leisure shop direct

I hope this helps.

J

Reactions: Mel
Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
Made up my own when we lived in France, mainly to plug into electrics at home. Used it on sites quite happily although not so frequent now. Its no different to having an adaptor with a three pin plug on the end for use in UK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
IMG_1296.PNG
Or you can get a one piece converter
The make is Scame
Its easier to carry in the MH

OP
OP
David Guthrie

David Guthrie

Free Member
Oct 21, 2016
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Hi-Top
Exp
Gosh, thank you everyone! J'en suis encouragé!
@Pilote87 - thank you: I am reassured!
I'll be trawling the webodrome for a suitable supplier - and thanks for the idea of the Scame idea, @Mel .
Cheers all!
David

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
can get a one piece converter
The make is Scame
Its easier to carry in the MH

I have one of these, but often it won't fit in the EHU box, when you are supposed to close and lock the door. A plug with a blue socket and half a metre of wire is better.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I have one of these, but often it won't fit in the EHU box, when you are supposed to close and lock the door. A plug with a blue socket and half a metre of wire is better.
Yup, saw that only a couple of days ago - and rain was threatening so the guy decided not to use EHU after trying unsuccessfully to bodge a cover with a plastic bag.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have one of them converters in the van, brand new still in the bag , never been used in 6 years of European travel.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
We find that every year we require our adaptor less and less, only used it once this year.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
We are in France now. Stopped in campsites all through France, and now in Port Grimaud and all have required no adaptor. Just plugged right in. Mad as hell cos I brought 2 :LOL::LOL:

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
2 years ago I was told that I almost certainly never need such an adapter but purchased 2 pin plug with short lead anyway. Off to Belgium, 1st site standard 3 pin. Mo nd site in La Roche pulled in all new fancy pillars on each pitch, looked about 2 weeks old, opened the cover and staring at me a brand new 2 pin socket. Used adapter on several Belgian and French sites since.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back