E Tandems ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Has anyone got or used an electric Tandem ? Herself has become very nervous of traffic and pedestrians on cycleways. Looking at the Helios Cirque or the Gepida Thoris . The Helios is slightly shorter and could be carried without wheel removal but lacks the build spec of the Gepida Both the same price however.
Has anyone any thoughts to offer ?

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
The larger wheel size on the Gepida will make it more stable when cycling. The Helios send to me able to be broken down into a smaller package, which could be an advantage or a disadvantage depending on how you look at it! The Gepida uses a more traditional rear derailleur which could be more easily damaged, however is also super easy to replace if it does happen or if something goes wrong. I personally would go for the Gepida.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I did put a conversion kit onto a friends Tandem, battery on the rear rack and motor in the front wheel, helped them up hills which is what they wanted.

Friends have the Hase semi recumbent tandem

Unknown.jpg
I had a go out on the front which doesn't, have the steering of course, it was good but the recumbent pedalling can be very hard on your thighs if you are trying to work, it had electric crank drive so easy on the hills.

Your two posted options are more conventional of course and the Gepida is listed as stocked at https://www.tandems.co.uk/m3b0s110p859/GEPIDA-Thoris-XT10-2020 including having a demo bike so worth a trip North possibly as nice area to have a test ride and they know their stuff at JD, never heard of the Gepida to be honest but a conventional looking tandem with 10 speed derailleur gears and a motor so should climb OK unless you are in the Alps.

The Circe looks good and sporty, you see a lot of their carrier type bikes in Holland so they must be OK, you might find it a bit twitchy with its little wheels so well worth having a ride the gears being the Shimano version of the old Sturmey Archer are a lot cleaner than a chain and derailleur and should have the advantage that you can shift them without being moving for a hill start etc (check that as I haven't used it) I did ride a solo with the automatic shifting version and was well impressed.

So if it was me I would certainly have a go on the Helios as it's the better looking IMV and not messing about removing the front wheel would be a bonus, OK my view might be clouded as already have a standard tandem with full size wheels and 27 gears, no motor though ;)

One thing I will say about the Helios is that you might find it a little more difficult to hold steady while the stoker climbs on with not having a high top tube, depends how you ride and start though as there are different schools of thought, have you ridden a Tandem?

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Thanks guys, looking at the review on the Thoris by Citrus Bike (USA) very in depth and detailed, the 500watt motor is now standard on the 2020 model, you do pedal out of sync on this one and consensus appears to be that it makes it more stable. I could not do the recumbent as there is no way herself would be at the front ! Gepida has disc brakes and stoker rim brake, Helios rim only. So it looks like a trip up North for a trial. JD Tandems do have excellent reviews so probably worth the extra miles. . The Helios is a little more quirky and would fit on the scooter rack in one, lacks front suspension, and some of the toys of the Gepida. Being a tad shorter there would be less room for the stoker.
Yes , we have ridden a tandem many years ago, being use to a road bike I could not believe how heavy it was, and that was human powered, no motors in those days!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back