Ducato X250 timing belt replacement (1 Viewer)

Mike Ferguson

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Bristol
Funster No
MH
2019 Adria Twin 640
Exp
Since December 2017
Has anyone replaced the timing belt and water pump on an X250 themselves? I'm in the process of replacing the timing belt and water pump on my 2.3 X250 Ducato. I have loosened all the bolts holding the timing cover in place but don't seem to have enough room to physically remove it. Has anyone else done this job? Does the cover lift upwards and get withdrawn from the top or do I have to remove the air conditioning compressor and then pull the timing cover out from below? I'm tired and frustrated at present and wishing I hadn't ever started the job. Assuming I eventually get the timing cover off is access straightforward for the water pump and belt or is it time to give up, reassemble and take it to a garage! Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
Dont know but you may need to remove the engine mount to make life easier or maybe a necessity

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Nope - I was happy to pay my £200 (plus parts) and not have to worry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike Ferguson

Mike Ferguson

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Bristol
Funster No
MH
2019 Adria Twin 640
Exp
Since December 2017
Thank you. Yes I have already removed the top engine mount and lowered the engine slightly in order to remove the crankshaft pulley. Just cant see how to get the timing cover off. There's not enough room.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Mines on a 06 plate 2.3 had to drop the ac pump. But don’t let the pipes go just tie it up out of the way, think I had to take the pump mount off also

OP
OP
Mike Ferguson

Mike Ferguson

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Bristol
Funster No
MH
2019 Adria Twin 640
Exp
Since December 2017
Stealaway. I've always liked doing these sort of jobs myself. I know that its been done properly then. Have to say that I'm never going to attempt anything like this again - its just not worth the hassle. I've almost convinced myself to just re-assemble what I've taken apart and then take it to an expert to do.

OP
OP
Mike Ferguson

Mike Ferguson

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Bristol
Funster No
MH
2019 Adria Twin 640
Exp
Since December 2017
Macca1954 - I understand what you're saying - just undo the 4 bolts that hold the compressor in place but don't disconnect the pipes. Will that give me room to drop the timing belt cover out below? Assuming I can, is access then ok to replace the water pump and belt or am I going to really regret going any further? I have the parts and a set of timing belt pins and understand the process. Its just access that's a pain at present. It's a pity to give up now as there was quite a bit of disassembly involved to get to where I am.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Stealaway. I've always liked doing these sort of jobs myself. I know that its been done properly then. Have to say that I'm never going to attempt anything like this again - its just not worth the hassle. I've almost convinced myself to just re-assemble what I've taken apart and then take it to an expert to do.
What make of belt tension setting equipment are you using, or is it just the TWANG Method

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Think you’re most of the way past the point of no return. It is a bit of shit job or was for me I’m 64 and retired mechanic so easy enough just the aches and pains weren’t

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Just take you’re time not worth rushing. Whilst you’re round that area I found the main wiring from van to habitation had dropped down and rubbed through on the alty. Rubbed right through main cable next trip out would of been a breakdown so glad I done it myself

OP
OP
Mike Ferguson

Mike Ferguson

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Bristol
Funster No
MH
2019 Adria Twin 640
Exp
Since December 2017
Geo - No belt tension setting equipment required as far as I am aware;
To quote the elearn manual-
"Acting on the hexagonal bolt (1a), rotate the semi-automatic tensioner in an anti-clockwise direction, placing the tensioner (1b) moving reference in the position illustrated, i.e. about 20°-22° to the right of the position indicated by the reference (1c), then lock the fixing nut (1d)."

OP
OP
Mike Ferguson

Mike Ferguson

Free Member
Feb 17, 2014
Bristol
Funster No
MH
2019 Adria Twin 640
Exp
Since December 2017
I'm in no rush. Have to work this afternoon and tomorrow. Gives me time to chill out and consider my next move! Thanks Guy's.

Macca1954

Free Member
Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Geo - No belt tension setting equipment required as far as I am aware;
To quote the elearn manual-
"Acting on the hexagonal bolt (1a), rotate the semi-automatic tensioner in an anti-clockwise direction, placing the tensioner (1b) moving reference in the position illustrated, i.e. about 20°-22° to the right of the position indicated by the reference (1c), then lock the fixing nut (1d)."
Seen to remember reading and doing that. Still deserves a twang when finished

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Getting the cover out is about the trickiest part. I find it best to remove the grille, slam panel, os headlight and os wing to get best access. To remove the cover I find it best to remove the engine mount the pull the cover up and out before you lower the engine. The high pressure fuel pump mounts to the water pump, you need to pop the fuel pump pulley before you remove the belt. I made a tool to pop the fuel pump pulley (it's on a tapered shaft so is very tight) consisting of a piece of 10mm plate with three holes to line up to the three tapped holes in the pulley.

Make sure you get the new water pump seated properly before you put the bolts in, it's easy for it to be slightly pissed and you can easily crack the alloy pump body if it's not fully flat to the block.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back