Ducato stereo/satnav/bluetooth (1 Viewer)

Sez Lez

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Whittlesey, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 748 EB
Exp
4 years
Hi all
Ive just bought a new Chausson 748 moho on a Ducato base
And like a lot of french vans it came without a stereo or music centre, which is a bloody liberty i think considering what it cost! (I wrongly assumed there would be one fitted) SO I'm looking to fit a double din set up to include Satnav either GPS or smartphone (android) based, a usb input for music etc possibly a cd player although thats a bit old skool nowadays DAB radio would be good, cost is not a problem within reason, ive been looking at Kenwood, Pioneer, Blaupunkt, Sony etc basically a good one as opposed to a cheap 5 minute wonder

Jun 20, 2013
Kendal
Funster No
MH
Pilote P650GJ
Exp
since 2000 (a couple of VW campervans and a low profile Dethleffs)
Pioneer do a couple of models. I've just had one fitted to replace the rather poor one that was in our Pilote. Seems pretty good to me - does music from USB stick or phone (by Bluetooth), fm or DAB radio, satnav, rear view camera monitor.

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Your first challenge is to understand how the base vehicle is prepped, or if it is prepped for a radio system. i.e. are there speakers, is there wiring, what connectors are there behind the panel. Can it integrate with any controls on the steering wheel, what aerial is there?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

Sez Lez

Free Member
Dec 27, 2019
Whittlesey, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson 748 EB
Exp
4 years
Yes it is wired up speakers in door, various connector blocks behind the pullout blanks aeriel fitted into wing mirror, there are no steering wheel controls at all

Sep 10, 2017
Funster No
We installed an Alpine X903D-DU, defiantly not cheap. We also upgraded all the speakers, added sound proofing and an active sub woofer to compliment it. We are pleased with the result but a lot of money if you aren’t particularly bothered about the sound quality of music. The sat nav is good and the built in sat nav works even when using Apple car play for music which is unusual. Apple maps are good until you don’t have 4G and you want to set or change a route. The DAB works better than in my Audi which surprised me.

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Can I ask if anyone knows if there is a dab aerial presided into the wing mirrors in the new 2020 fiats? We are in the same position and looks to get a double din system. Currently our cheap FM stereo seems to have a good signal but I can’t see an aerial!

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
It seems Fiat fit the Pioneer set up, I forget the model. I guess your Ducato would be pre fitted for one of those.
No cd slot but usb lead for a pen

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
We got a sparks guy to install a Pioneer unit. He nearly had a fit when he saw the mess of wires behind the Double-Din space.

The most useful feature is the speedo as I often cannot see the Fiat one, especially the kilometre sub-scale when abroad. The second most useful feature is the warning when exceeding the speed limit. But this is only as good as the database which ain’t great especially in France as it doesn’t know about the new 80kph limit.

The ability to put in vehicle dimensions is a joke when we are continually directed onto narrow roads, under impossibly low bridges ( eg Vannes underpass), 3.5ton limited roads etc.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if I was fitting a new one in my van, it would be an android screen that has all the functions on my phone, plus reversing camera etc

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
if I was fitting a new one in my van, it would be an android screen that has all the functions on my phone, plus reversing camera etc

I think that’s what our plan is!!

just tried the WAZE app yesterday and was quite impressed!

bridgedino

Free Member
Sep 13, 2020
Fife
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Try getting one where the screen is well positioned to allow you to glance at the satnav without looking down and away from the road? Sometimes a separate standalone one can be better positioned for viewing and getting map updates.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back