Downsizing from coachbuilt to PVC (1 Viewer)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
70E340E1-1FAC-4539-9613-3C404FA4548F.jpeg
70E340E1-1FAC-4539-9613-3C404FA4548F.jpeg
93FD1DAD-B684-46F5-A6B5-89FA6C2D2467.jpeg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I had a card table under ours rather than fit a permanent 'shelf', worked a treat: At the site I was able to put in 2 Brompton cycles (one behind the other) plus stuff in front of the table too.

Underbed storage.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
Downsized from a Swift Bolero to a Rapido V55 just over a year ago. Here are my thoughts. Firstly build quality of the Rapido is much better. In relation to storage we have all we need. Shower and toilet facilities on the V55 groundbreaking technology and excellent. Amazing the places you take your PVC that you would be reluctant to take larger motorhome. More like a car to drive. Downsides, requires more organisation when moving about inside, and on occasions not being able to entertain inside. Overall a good move for us the pros outweigh the negatives.k

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
I don’t see many/if any, as giving the reason for moving to a PVC because of a better chance of no water ingress.

The reason we are considering a PVC is because of the damp issues we have in our Elddis 9 year old coach built, and it would appear that very few coachbuilt have no damp issues - even newish models.

Is it fair to say that damp ingress cannot happens on a PVC as long as any drilled holes are well sealed off?

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
The reason we are considering a PVC is because of the damp issues we have in our Elddis 9 year old coach built, and it would appear that few coachbuilt have no damp issues - even newish models.

Is it fair to say that damp ingress cannot happens on a PVC as long as any drilled holes are well sealed off?
Few British ones unfortunately. But it's all down to choosing a manufacturer of quality and one that uses modern construction without structural wood . Our last van a Frankia was perfectly dry at 10 years old.

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
Few British ones unfortunately. But it's all down to choosing a manufacturer of quality and one that uses modern construction without structural wood . Our last van a Frankia was perfectly dry at 10 years old.
But aren’t PVCs all one piece of metal without any joints?

ElddisNotElvis

Free Member
Jul 22, 2018
Funster No
Referring to your quote of coachbuilts all suffering damp.
Oh - sorry, I thought you were referring to PVC’s.

It’s strange that hardly anybody is giving damp as a reason to moving to PVC’S from coachbuilt.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
They can still happen as they have roof vents, windows, hatches (eg water inlet) etc cut into the outer but are less susceptible to the 'usual' water ingress issues you get with coachbuilts such as leaking seams etc.

Reactions: f6c

Mr Rusty

Free Member
Apr 13, 2012
Bedford
Funster No
MH
Burstner 690G
Exp
Since 1986
We have had ‘damp’ problems in two PVCs we have owned (both vans were bought new). The first one (damp patches on the roof lining) was actually found to be a condensation issue in that the hot internal air was condensing on the inside of the cold metal roof. Manufacturer put more insulation between the lining and the metal roof. Second one, again damp patches on the roof lining, was found to be a poorly sealed roof vent. Dealer fixed it by removing and resealing the vent.

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
I opened up our Auto Trail V Line 635 (PVC) for the first time in 6 weeks yesterday, I was surprised how dry every thing felt, I had emptied all the lockers and cupboards and left every thing open, left the dash vents open. I have not bothered to put on the external screen cover as the van is parked facing south so the sun warms it through during sunny periods. I checked the batteries 13.6 so the solar is working ok
After 25 years of motorhoming with coach builds I had always kept a small convector heater on to keep the damp feeling at bay.
Last year we did use our PVC all through the winter, 33 nights away, November through to March with no damp from condensation.
One thing I will not be doing in June this coming year is to have a Habitation Check carried out at the same price as my dealer charges of a coach build. I shall get our local mobile guy to clean the fridge jet and do a gas check.

BernieT

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Oh - sorry, I thought you were referring to PVC’s.

It’s strange that hardly anybody is giving damp as a reason to moving to PVC’S from coachbuilt.
It was one of the things I considered a benefit, but as I had moved from a Frankia I never had worries about water ingress.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We have had ‘damp’ problems in two PVCs we have owned (both vans were bought new). The first one (damp patches on the roof lining) was actually found to be a condensation issue in that the hot internal air was condensing on the inside of the cold metal roof. Manufacturer put more insulation between the lining and the metal roof. Second one, again damp patches on the roof lining, was found to be a poorly sealed roof vent. Dealer fixed it by removing and resealing the vent.
What brand?

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Not damp but water ingress caused by pressure washing around a rooflight.
I caught it before it became a problem but the mastic sealing was breached by the pressure washer. Luckily spotted it on the day it happened just a couple of drops of water on the bedding. Thought initially it was water that had just got past the normal seal but unfortunately not.
Resulted in having to remove the whole rooflight and resealing it.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Not damp but water ingress caused by pressure washing around a rooflight.
I caught it before it became a problem but the mastic sealing was breached by the pressure washer. Luckily spotted it on the day it happened just a couple of drops of water on the bedding. Thought initially it was water that had just got past the normal seal but unfortunately not.
Resulted in having to remove the whole rooflight and resealing it.
Pressure washers are bad news to motorhomes and best avoided

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back