Don't buy an Avtex Connected TV if you only use WIFI (1 Viewer)

Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
Just spoken to Avtex support who confirm that the only LIVE TV channels you can watch on this series of TVs using WIFI only is BBC iPlayer. Of course the extensive advertising doesn't mention this at all. If you get the signal from a sat dish or an aerial then of course you can get live TV on all channels. But as I've moved across to only WIFI this is an expensive bit of kit just to use as a screen. If you are only interested in catch up or netflix etc then it's OK. Having spent £300+ on buying the 21 inch set my workaround has been to buy a £29.99 Amazon Fire Stick Lite which works perfectly and gives me live tv through wifi. A cautionary tale for those of us moving from sat dish to wifi only!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
I just bought a 21inch HD pc screen with HDMI port and a Firetv. Ideal solution.
Good idea. However, my TV is mounted on a retractable (inside a cupboard) cradle and so needs a VESA mount.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TCG

Jul 6, 2017
Salford Priors
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Just spoken to Avtex support who confirm that the only LIVE TV channels you can watch on this series of TVs using WIFI only is BBC iPlayer. Of course the extensive advertising doesn't mention this at all. If you get the signal from a sat dish or an aerial then of course you can get live TV on all channels. But as I've moved across to only WIFI this is an expensive bit of kit just to use as a screen. If you are only interested in catch up or netflix etc then it's OK. Having spent £300+ on buying the 21 inch set my workaround has been to buy a £29.99 Amazon Fire Stick Lite which works perfectly and gives me live tv through wifi. A cautionary tale for those of us moving from sat dish to wifi only!
that's pretty naff considering on avtex web site. Have previously owned two avtex's, overrated IMHO
1618239962357.png

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Very interesting. Is it 230v, so invertor required when not using electric hook up?
This one is 230v however on my van the TV power is controlled through the main CP and I have a 3000 watt inverter so not an issue. However a google around should find one that works on 12vdc, I just had the TV wiring prep in my van so that is the route I followed.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We have an Avtex connected TV linked to WiFi and a terrestrial aerial, it works much better that way as you can watch programmes that have already started from the start and catch up from the guide, surely its not a big hardship to put and aerial into it, we have a friend with a sticky on aerial in a cupboard and he gets a great picture on it, ours is a Ballade omni-directional inside a cupboard so no connections to outside required.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Kups
Feb 23, 2021
BURY ST. EDMUNDS
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 670 SLT
Exp
Since 2002
We have an Avtex connected TV linked to WiFi and a terrestrial aerial, it works much better that way as you can watch programmes that have already started from the start and catch up from the guide, surely its not a big hardship to put and aerial into it, we have a friend with a sticky on aerial in a cupboard and he gets a great picture on it, ours is a Ballade omni-directional inside a cupboard so no connections to outside required.
Thanks. I bought the Avtex hi gain antenna but found it rather bulky with its cable. If I experience any issues with the wifi signal method I might try the aerial you suggest. It seems to get some good write ups from boat owners especially!

Certainly worth a look a the Ballade if it works inside a motorhome cupboard and is so small. Never heard of this brand or aerial before.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back