Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Well, having taken the MH out for a couple of days and giving it a quick wash, it still looks a bit sad.

So having got quotes for a full wash wax and polish around £200, I have decided to spend a couple of days doing it myself

Now there are few of you out there who go the whole hog themselves and so you know the best polish to finish the roof and walls off with.

I have always kept it clean with just a bucket of water and general car shampoo and a spray finish polish but this policy I do not think would be suitable as a protector for the roof. I do not have any of the foaming stuff and never put a power washer near the van.

I have access to a tower so will access the roof from the sides and get all the winter grime off but its the polish finish I want to concentrate on.

Suggestions please.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Autoglym shampoo and conditioner and if you want to give it a coat of super resin polish, if it’s an all metal body, such as PVC, not sure if it’s Fiberglass or form of plastic.

Reactions: f6c
OP
OP
PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire

Free Member
Mar 11, 2013
Arundel
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2009
Autoglym shampoo and conditioner and if you want to give it a coat of super resin polish, if it’s an all metal body, such as PVC, not sure if it’s Fiberglass or form of plastic.
Aluminium side walls composite front quarters

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I keep forgetting.... Autoglym.. is it the gold or the red one you use first, please?

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Just done mine today (7 hours) wash and polish with Autoglym super resin polish, then I’ll wax it tomorrow with Meguires wax👍

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Had my Hymer Cut, Polished and waxed yesterday, guy came at 10am left at 9pm.....worked non stop, the results are just amazing.....a 16 year old van restored to showroom condition...

1617684725551.png

May 12, 2019
Tyneside-Cadiz: All points between!
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
Years Tugging - Newbie MHing
I had my last van done at the storage company a few years ago, and they charged me £60. Wasn’t a particularly good job.

The local hand car wash near where I live are excellent. I have my XKR washed there, pre-wash, then snow foam then two bucket hand wash and finally a hot/wet applied wax, with zero swirls on my dark red metallic paint. As good as I have done myself. I Clay bar it myself once per year and wax it. They charge £8 for the car which takes 35 minutes for them to do including door checks, tyre wash and dressing and wheel arch spray. Ridiculous value.

Just made an appointment to have my AT Delaware washed on Monday with a quote of £32? If I can get them to avoid the fridge vents it will be a definite ‘start of trip’ and ‘end of trip’ ritual for us. Cleaning this beast is a real chore.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
.......I enjoy cleaning.(y)

I find cleaning our two motorcycles, car and PVC very therapeutic.:giggle:

Do I need to seek help for my condition? 🤷‍♂️

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
I had my last van done at the storage company a few years ago, and they charged me £60. Wasn’t a particularly good job.

The local hand car wash near where I live are excellent. I have my XKR washed there, pre-wash, then snow foam then two bucket hand wash and finally a hot/wet applied wax, with zero swirls on my dark red metallic paint. As good as I have done myself. I Clay bar it myself once per year and wax it. They charge £8 for the car which takes 35 minutes for them to do including door checks, tyre wash and dressing and wheel arch spray. Ridiculous value.

Just made an appointment to have my AT Delaware washed on Monday with a quote of £32? If I can get them to avoid the fridge vents it will be a definite ‘start of trip’ and ‘end of trip’ ritual for us. Cleaning this beast is a real chore.
And I wonder how much of that £32 the guys actually doing the work will see!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Had my Hymer Cut, Polished and waxed yesterday, guy came at 10am left at 9pm.....worked non stop, the results are just amazing.....a 16 year old van restored to showroom condition...

View attachment 481677
You mean they let it out the showroom with a dirty reg plate like that, Shamefull

Dec 20, 2018
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
Your point being?

Perhaps I shouldn't take it there - and ensure them get none of it??
My point being, that at those prices, the guys cannot be earning anything vaguely resembling the legal minimum wage, let alone a living wage. Still, it's a bargain!

Lest you think I'm being holier than thou, I used to use our local hand wash regularly. Unfortunately, I had one very unpleasant experience which changed my mind. I had had the wash, and as you say, they do a good job, and paid the 'boss'. As it was approaching Christmas, I gave the guy who did most of the work a couple of quid tip. As I was driving out, I saw the 'boss' emerge and demand that the lad hand over the tip. I challenged him about, but was simply met with a shrug as he walked off. I haven't been back since.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back