Aug 13, 2016
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2017
Hello

Can anyone recommend a good dash cam for the motorhome please?

Looking at what is available it seems a bit of a minefield.

Ideally, I don't want to spend more than about £50.

Any recommendations much appreciated

Thank you

Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
We have two fitted, both Next base.
Front windscreen and rear window view. Front is the Next base 522GW Quad (£150!!) and the rear is the 122 HD at £50. Both are very good to be honest. For your budget..the 122 is good but again the 112 is cheaper and does equally a good job. All available from curry's or amazon uk

Kev

OP
OP
froli's
Aug 13, 2016
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2017
Thanks Kev I'll check those out

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
I was given a TOGUARD Full HD 1080p for Christmas last, just used it for the first time on our current trip seems to work fine. images are nice and clear. Don't know what is cost though.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I now use a yi dash cam... Often on offer on Amazon.
Great quality and a sensible price. the "Chinese apple" as my son says.. I use their cameras at home as well..

Amazon product ASIN B07MBNMC9N
There is also a new version that sticks direct to the screen.
Amazon product ASIN B07B7KFHFV

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have a Nextbase 312GW https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/nextbase-312gw-dash-cam-£74-95-case-£4-95-or-less-if-buying-two.174144/ in both car & motorhome & they work well.
For your price point of around £50 perhaps consider the Nextbase 212 - of the ones Which? tested this year it sounds pretty good:

Which? verdict
Very good-value dash cam
The iN-CAR CAM 212 Lite was part of Nextbase's 2016 range of dash cams. Priced at less than £70, it's definitely a cheaper option than other big-name models. Does this dash cam still have the combination of features and footage to make it worth buying? Read our full review to find out.
Clear and detailed footage, low price, small and compact
Lacks some features, such as GPS
This may be an older model, but it’s one of the best dash cams we've ever tested, and still the cheapest Best Buy we've found. Footage is clear and detailed, and it's a breeze to install and use. But if you want a dash cam with GPS functionality, you may want to consider the Nextbase 312GW instead.
What is it?
A small, compact and affordable Full HD dash cam from Nextbase. It has a 2.7-inch LED display, a 140-degree wide-angle view, and records footage in 1080p resolution. It comes with a G-force sensor to ensure your footage is recorded and protected during and after an impact.
How good is video quality?
The iN-CAR CAM 212 Lite records clear footage with a good level of detail - road signs and number plates can be seen both in moving footage and when the video is paused. The 140-degree wide-angle view is detailed, right to the edge of the image.
As with most dash cams, the 212 Lite struggles with footage at night - there's a reduction in detail. You'll notice some glare from street lights, too. It's far from the worst, though, and will be able to provide at least some detail if you crash after dark.
How easy is it to use?
This dash cam is small and compact, so can be easily stored in the glove compartment of your car or popped in a handbag. You can place it behind the rear-view mirror, so it won't obstruct your view of the road.
The 212 Lite has a Click & Go mount, which uses magnets and powered touch points to dock and charge your device. It means the dash cam itself is free from wires, as the power cable is attached to the mount, making it easy and quick to remove or reinstall.
The device is relatively easy to use, although we'd like to see more contrast between the menu text and background to make it easier to read. Footage can be viewed on screen while you're on the go, or via Windows Media Player or QuickTime while plugged in to a PC.
Is there anything else I should know?
Other models, including the Nextbase 212G, have built-in GPS to track your exact route, location and speed, but the 212 Lite doesn't. GPS tracking can help confirm where an incident has occurred, which is an important detail in an insurance claim. This model also doesn't have built-in wi-fi for viewing your footage on the Nextbase app.
During our tests, the G-force sensor failed to activate at the default level, meaning the footage from moments of impact wasn't protected and could be recorded over. You'll need to play around with the G-force sensor settings on your device, as we found it was activated when set to high sensitivity.
Should I buy it?
Yes - this is a really good dash cam at an appealing price. If you want a few more features and don't mind spending a little more, take a look at the Nextbase iN-CAR CAM 312GW Deluxe or Broken Link Removed.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
Hello

Can anyone recommend a good dash cam for the motorhome please?

Looking at what is available it seems a bit of a minefield.

Ideally, I don't want to spend more than about £50.

Any recommendations much appreciated

Thank you

What do you want to use it for - just to be able to use the video as 'proof' in case of an accident or to produce clips to show where you've been in high quality videos ?

I've been using a Mobius for my videos but I'm now getting a Nextbase 412 (for my June birthday) which hopefully will give even better quality clips.

:france::france::france::france:

OP
OP
froli's
Aug 13, 2016
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2017
great thanks for the info and attachments Tonka

OP
OP
froli's
Aug 13, 2016
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2017
Well, I just wanted it for proof in case of an accident at first. But features like 'parking monitor' might be handy if you're parked on an aire or something.
Never considered that you could use the video to show where you've been.

OP
OP
froli's
Aug 13, 2016
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2017
Thanks Wombles, the Nextbase ones seem popular and if Which are recommending them guess their must be reliable

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Thanks Wombles, the Nextbase ones seem popular and if Which are recommending them guess their must be reliable
Think Which? is a good starting point but have had good & bad "Best Buys" with regards to reliability over the years. If you search on Nextbase on here it is quite a popular dashcam but lots of choice out there. There are some "Don't Buy" models from Streetwize, RAC & Binatone so maybe avoid those brands.

OP
OP
froli's
Aug 13, 2016
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2017
Thanks Keith it's £179, I'll probably stick on the window and not touch it again (hopefully!) so its a bit much really.
Could stretch to the 312 @£80 though!?

Oct 16, 2018
CHESTERFIELD DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
PILOTE
Exp
Long enough
The Nextbase 412GW was on offer at Halfords last week at £89 - that's when we bought one - but I've checked and it isn't that price now - sorry about that.
(n)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have recently purchased a new camera from Amazon and have been well pleased with the clarity of the picture etc. Sorry I can’t post the link (technophobe!!) but it only cost £23.99 and has great reviews - In fact it is the ‘Amazon’s Choice’ one and far superior to my previous version. It does have the ‘parking’ facility also.

OP
OP
froli's
Aug 13, 2016
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2017
thanks Carol. do you know what make it is? Thats a good price

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
9D67ED10-6F6E-4E23-BFE2-D56DDB7A66F6.jpeg
@froli's - I’m sorry I’m really rubbish at the technical stuff. However I have just been in the Amazon webpage and searched for ‘dash cams for cars’. My specific one is on page one and is still listed at £23.99 but is no longer ‘Amazon’s choice’. There are over 95 reviews and is 4+ stars. It has 170 degrees of coverage.

Sorry I can’t post the link!

OP
OP
froli's
Aug 13, 2016
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2017
Thank you everyone for all the advise here.

After much deliberation! We're going for Yi @ £23.99 from Amazon.

We might upgrade to the Nextbase in future, we'll see how we get on with this one first.

I've noticed that Nextbase are rolling out the series 2 dash cam now, even more choice!

Thanks again, much appreciated

Paul

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back