Damaged our omnistore awning :-( (1 Viewer)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I think we had, more accurately I had, a feeling of over security now that we generally fit our safari room for longer term use when using our awning

The other weekend parked up facing the Irish sea the wind picked up just as we needed to take the awning down to leave :cautious:

I did spot the predicted wind increase the night before, but chose to ignore, back to line one again :whistle2:

We had removed all of the side panels, but the legs were still pegged down, (steel rock pegs with threaded detail, but hammered in) this totals four legs (8 pegs) across the front and one of the side beams was still fitted,(y) keeping the whole thing well braced, or so I thought

I was about to remove the beam from the opposite end which needs the awning winding out slightly, Bev monitoring ready to hold down when a sudden gust pulled out the rest of the pegs and lifted the whole canopy to almost exactly vertical, then very luckily the wind eased and it all came back down again

Initially I thought that was very lucky, it actually was very lucky, if it had gone any further the damage could have been huge

Ably assisted by an observant funster female we got the rest down and it wound away without drama, the only obvious issue is that the mounting bracket bent away from the MH at the rear end, the same end that lifted with the beam still attached, this did pull back a bit when the awning wound right away, but we still need attention

IMG_3400.JPG

IMG_3401.JPG

I tried a local MH place who said we could maybe do this or maybe do that, left me with no confidence, so I have been back in touch with Rose Awnings who fitted it, but in the mean time I started investigating for myself

I am still hopeful that the main issue is only the mounting bracket (y), this is actually in 2 sections

IMG_3402.JPG

Talking to John and Dan Rose they confirmed that back in the noughties when this would have been fitted the maximum length of bracket was 3m, they could now fit a whole piece if needed

That got me looking at where the fixings were and has possibly confirmed why the end bent

IMG_3425.JPG

IMG_3426.JPG

the first photo above shows a fixing in the top of the wardrobe, the second is with 2 speakers removed revealing the internal awning support and also confirming no fixings :unsure:, the wardrobe fixing is approx 30" from the end of the awning

The first fixing looks pretty weedy, possibly only a 6mm bolt, but at least with a backing plate, no sign of any movement at all at that point though (y)

There is a small wood screw close to the end that will be virtually no use, it would appear that the fitters depended on a couple of fixings and sealant

Next Tuesday I am at Rose Awnings for removal and full inspection, there is a chance with 2 more fixings through the speaker holes might pull it all back flat, if not we will swap the rear section of bracket, then get the awning fully checked while there

Labour intensive but we are hopeful of no major damage and feeling extremely lucky, for now at least

I will let you know how we got on next week

I will of course in future be using the storm straps we have and carry but I had decided we didn't need, although I still I might just fit them when taking down and it is windy, the safari room really is incredibly stable when fully pegged down and has been up in 50mph winds at Twin Lakes on first time used (y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I feel you’re pain David

I’ve got a 6m awning and don’t trust pegs any more

I tie down from the awning to my front wheel and to my tow bar

Quick to set up and take down - rock solid too

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I just had a look on your Greek travel thread to see what you did and observe that you don't always remember :whistle2:
If we’re in a sheltered spot or there is no wind at all then I don’t bother
However I’d never leave the awning unattended without tying it down
Securing to the wheels and tow bar is also ideal when parked on concrete or tarmac where pegs would be impossible to use

Edit
I never leave my awning up at night either.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think you need to blame your wife really David.

She should have nagged you to take it down the night before. I know mine would have.

I hope you can get it easily sorted and go easy on the good lady as we all make mistakes (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David
Any update on getting your awning fixed?

Opportune post Robert, I must have been settling the bill when you asked, didn’t check back on here after, just arrived home 250 miles virtually all motorway five and a half hours ?

Will update in a bit, need a drink and a cuddle ?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Opportune post Robert, I must have been settling the bill when you asked, didn’t check back on here after, just arrived home 250 miles virtually all motorway five and a half hours ?

Will update in a bit, need a drink and a cuddle ?
Can we play Guess The Bill?

£250 plus VAT

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
You lot are quick off the mark and lacking vital information to be informed enough to guess, but the least informed is closest nice one Debbie ?

The Rose team of father and son John and Dan having had a good look agreed with me that additional fixings should have been used but also hoped that still fitting them now should sort the bracket part at least

They did also add that Sika flex should have held under normal use, but not worth the risk in their opinion

Next three photos are as found when awning removed, after disconnecting the LED strip light

I should really have taken closer shots but they were mainly for interest and taken in a hurry due to rain

9408769E-4F96-4537-A2B1-0D92342BA936.jpeg

22FB2D08-D8C3-47ED-BEEC-B3560EC8E045.jpeg

8E72E54A-3807-4EC4-A375-F55A65B223B6.jpeg

Just 2 main fixing bolts used in 2 separate pieces of mounting bracket, then a row of self tappers which more or less only hold it till sealant gets a grip

The sealant couldn’t have been expected to hang on to force exerted when twisted through 90 degrees ?

Now got two extra fixings at each end, resealed and all pulled nicely back in to the side of the MH

Awning then checked and it now winds fully back in, amazingly no damage identified

F7862E94-939F-4B34-98E4-E46E43E24FFF.jpeg

New larger self tappers and extras put in where they had been pulled out

Total time spent 2 men 9 - 12.30 although they did rest between showers, 2 tubes of sealant

They also found me a new length of the sealing strip to cover the gap from roof to awning as mine had gone black with mould

They cleaned, lubricated and tested all the moving parts

I had cash to pay them and when he spotted that he asked for a sum that was way below what expected for the work done and massively under what I feared when it first happened ?

I refused his first offer and insisted that they took £100 each which I was still very happy with and less than I expected him to ask for

But actually 250% of what he first asked for ?

Reminded John he will never get to retire if he charges less for work than he pays in overheads ? but then I don’t really want him to retire ?

Technically Martin was closest to what they asked for, but I have a soft spot for Debbie and prefer her hugs ??

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I was trying to call them this afternoon. Got a small problem with my omnistor I want them to look at. I am currently at Southwold but weathers turning for the worse here. So south I may go.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I was trying to call them this afternoon. Got a small problem with my omnistor I want them to look at. I am currently at Southwold but weathers turning for the worse here. So south I may go.

I was long gone but do know they had a VW in this afternoon, hope they get you sorted ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back