Cushing's disease ... horrible illness! (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Well, I hoped I wouldn't ever have to deal with it again since we lost Midge to it but unfortunately that's not the case ... it is likely that our lovely Romy has Cushing's disease. :cry:

On holiday she was drinking and weeing more than normal, but we put it down to the temperature in Spain and that she was awake and more active that she would normally have been at home. She's been on Propalin medication for a while and that was dealing with the age-related reduced bladder control (she's nearly 16) so that she slept through without an issue but on holiday we needed to let her out at least once in the early morning to avoid 'accidents' but towards the end of the holiday we had a few 'accidents' even if she had been let out.

We've been monitoring her since we came home to see if it 'settled down' here rather than in the camper but she's wet the beds quite a few times, not to mention the carpets. If she's been snoozing and wakes up she's not always able to 'hold on' until we can get her out of the door and leaving her at home whilst we go shopping for a couple of hours we know we'll come back in to a puddle somewhere and if she gets excited there's bit of leakage too! Fortunately we have a good quality hot wash carpet cleaner and we're replacing the carpets anyway so that's not a major issue, just inconvenient for us, but its obviously not nice for her as she feels 'guilty' for doing it even though she can't help herself.

We already had a 'family' visit to the vet booked for today for Tazzy to have her Rabies booster, Lily* who needs a new passport as her old one is full, and Romy for a check-up in order to get another Propalin prescription (they have to see her every 6 months or we can't get one) (*she didn't need to go but she'd have fretted on her own at home!

We discussed Romy's issues with the vet and they did a urine test which appears to have ruled out diabetes and any major liver/kidney issues as although there was some protein in it, it was a lower level than she had had when she was previously checked. The next step therefore was a blood test which they did and rang this afternoon with the result ... no issues with her kidney/liver which was good news but its highly likely that she's got Cushing's disease so she's now booked in for a full day or testing next week so they can check her cortisol levels throughout the day and make a definitive diagnosis, however, having had a dog with Cushing's disease previously and knowing the symptoms I already suspected this was the issue ... realistically we know what the outcome is likely to be.

It can be treated with tablets but this is where the dilemma will come in for us ... our Midge had this and we fought it from October 2008 to June 2009, he was in a terrible state at times and it was heart-breaking to see him miserable but whilst he wasn't in pain and had a little, albeit very limited, interest in 'life', we supported him ... he certainly enjoyed the prime chicken breast and fish he got fed! Unfortunately though the meds didn't work very well and eventually turned him into a zombie - he didn't want to eat, move etc so we decided to take him off them as there was nothing to lose by doing so and he improved and started eating more and pottering a bit but unfortunately this didn't last long and we had to have him put down ... it is still a very 'raw' memory even 10 years later so I won't detail it further.

No-one can believe she's nearly 16 as she is in such great condition for her age, with plenty of energy and still runs around like a youngster and really enjoyed her last holiday - swimming, running, playing, slobbing-out in the sun - so it looks like we made the right decision to go away with her for 2 months as we don't know what the future will hold.

Hubby is upset as Romy is a Daddy's girl and he's a real softie but is managing to deal with it most of the time, I'm 'holding it together' and trying not to let it affect me - we don't want the dogs to be concerned about what's going on as they soon pick up on things. We want to get next Tuesday over and done with so we know what's what ... but in some ways we don't either. :(

This is her enjoying splashing about in the water about a month ago and loving it.

Romy 2.JPG

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Sorry to here that Mel as I’ve never heard of Cushing disease, I hope Romy responds well to the treatment.

John.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
I really feel for you Mel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
I am so sorry that this is happening to you again. Hope she responds to treatment and has a few more good years ahead of her xx

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hugs for you Mel , reading your posts I know how much your dogs mean to you both .

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
No words really Mel; I'm a big softy with most animals but mainly dogs, don't they just tear at your heart-strings.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
:( hope the outcome of your efforts to support Romy are all positive.

Trixie

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 25, 2014
Funster No
Mel, he looks like he is still enjoying life so let him. Put a waterproof cover on a duvet and then the duvet cover, then you’ve just got a duvet cover to wash each day.
You’ve gone through it before so giving him lots of love is all that matters and you’ll know when the time is right for him, and as you say he is having lots of fun being with you at the moment.
Keep gathering memories.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks guys, just needed to 'get it straight' in my head by putting it down 'on paper' ... it's not gonna be easy I know and I we really hope the tablets work for her to give her more time whist she's otherwise healthy and happy. We've just had our dinner and Romy then sat on the sofa next to hubby, as close as she could, with her usual silly look on her face as if she was saying "Ooooo ... I'm Daddy's favourite!" to the other two. He got up to take out his tray and she jumped off and ... yup, you've guessed it ... puddle time! Oh well ... at least the carpet washer clears it up quickly and cleanly - we're keeping it in the hallway so we can grab it immediately.

However, if I can get her to drink some non-harmful paint instead of water, and put a large sheet of paper on the floor so next time she does it she'll create a 'wandering' artwork which I'm sure I could sell to pay her vet bill as it will NOT be cheap, with Midge we spent over £2,500 so we're aware of the likely 'damage' but she's worth every single penny.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
:cry:
Sorry to read all that minxy..
Wishing you the best... but its bound to be difficult..
Andy.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Mel, he looks like he is still enjoying life so let him. Put a waterproof cover on a duvet and then the duvet cover, then you’ve just got a duvet cover to wash each day.
You’ve gone through it before so giving him lots of love is all that matters and you’ll know when the time is right for him, and as you say he is having lots of fun being with you at the moment.
Keep gathering memories.
Trouble is she does 'wandering wees' so the whole floor would need to be covered. :Eeek:

She's loved to bits and is now playing with hubby, barking and messing about like a youngster. (y)

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
So sorry to read this Mel, we know how friendly Romy is from our visit last year.

Just hope the treatment is positive for you all.

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I too am sorry to hear of your dogs plight. They're family members in a way that non dog folk struggle to understand.
Cushing's syndrome affects middle aged dogs, horses & humans etc.
Our oldest horse suffered from this it too.
The syndrome is caused by a benign tumour on the pituitary gland.
My works partner & neighbour on my last station suffered from the same syndrome.

Good luck in treating this condition Mel, best wishes Robert.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Is there an incontinence pad for dogs?

So sorry to hear about her troubles.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So sorry to hear this & hope that a solution can be found that allows Romy to continue enjoying her life.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
@Minxy Girl didn't realise dogs coul be affected, was aware of it in humans. Hope there is some effective treatment sending hugs.

Dec 9, 2018
Isle of Wight
Funster No
MH
Searching for a Tardis
Exp
Several years living in a very basic campervan in the 70's
So sorry to hear about your Romy. Very sad and difficult for you all.

When I look after my friend's JRT when she is in heat she comes to me in a dog nappy, she soon gets used to wearing it and it does not bother her. Might help Romy when she is indoors, you can fit a newborn ordinary disposable nappy or a maternity pad in them, you don't need to buy the expensive pads that come with some of the brands. I just did a search for "Dog Pants" on Amazon and loads came up.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We lost a Poodle to Cushings probably 20 years ago. Our biggest regret is that we took the vets advice and treated her. She had a month of abject misery before we made the right decision and we swore that if any other dog we owned ended up in a similar position we wouldn't hesitate to have it euthanized immediately there was obvious discomfort. Whatever we tell ourselves about giving a dog a few more weeks it is done for the owner not the animal. Euthanasia is a kind and peaceful way to end life especially (as we have always done) if the vet comes to the dog. Please don't leave it too long - it's the last act of love for a dog that has given you so much. I'm so sorry you're losing a loved one.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Is it definitely cushings? I know dogs do get it but I have no experience of it with them only with horses. My elderly Beardie started suffering from incontinence just after we had moved into a home van conversion (a fiat scudo), the pair of us waking up wet was the last thing I needed.
We visited our vet and came away with a test run of Incurin tabs. At this point a half mil tablet to be given once daily, this dosage proved to be not strong enough so it was subsequently upped to a one mil dose.
Now a little over two years later I have a happy dry dog, she is deaf, losing her sight, has doggy dementia and when out for a walk tiddles on the run but she is clean and dry in the house. She is still physically very fit and well, runs about and jumps up on the furniture. she takes all sorts of liberties claiming her deafness and dementia excuse her from ordinary doggy responsibilities.
I have to keep her on an extending lead when we are out walking as if she gets disorientated she runs too fast for me to catch her but given the chance she still likes to paddle and swim in the lake in the warmer weather.
It might be worth asking your vet if Incurin would help your girl, it certainly has been brilliant for Nell. good luck.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
You can get nappies/pads for dogs but she'd 'kill' them within seconds ... she's got this thing about tissues, toilet rolls etc, so if she can get at some she either eats it or shreds it ... not to mention that the other dogs would think it was a great game and join in! I think using the carpet washer is easier than trying to clear up lots and lots of pieces of tissue paper that's been scattered round the place ... I like 'snow' but not indoors! :)

If we weren't about to decorate and replace the carpets I'd be more concerned but we can live with it for the time being until hopefully any meds she gets put on kick in - the 'wee' she's producing is almost pure water so it's pretty much going through here 'unchanged' so the carpet washer is dealing with it (no staining/smell etc) ... we'll just end up with webbed feet.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
It might be worth asking your vet if Incurin would help your girl, it certainly has been brilliant for Nell. good luck.
Thanks for the info Val - she's been on Propalin for her bladder issue for around 2 years now which has helped a lot, similar to the improvement you've had with Incurin, but I'd be extremely surprised if it isn't Cushings as there are other signs that it is more than likely that such as a small area of skin on the top of her snout which has a lumpy/creamy look identical to what Midge had, it's not very large but that's how his started, also reading up about Incurin there's a major warning which would mean it was ruled out for her anyway:

Do not use in animals with excessive drinking and excessive urination.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
We lost a Poodle to Cushings probably 20 years ago. Our biggest regret is that we took the vets advice and treated her. She had a month of abject misery before we made the right decision and we swore that if any other dog we owned ended up in a similar position we wouldn't hesitate to have it euthanized immediately there was obvious discomfort. Whatever we tell ourselves about giving a dog a few more weeks it is done for the owner not the animal. Euthanasia is a kind and peaceful way to end life especially (as we have always done) if the vet comes to the dog. Please don't leave it too long - it's the last act of love for a dog that has given you so much. I'm so sorry you're losing a loved one.
We've been in this position many times as we've had quite a few dogs and had to make the hard decision many times regardless of what we want, its always what's the best decision for the dog that matters (smaller pets too) so are prepared for making the 'decision' if we need to, but whilst she's happy and playing, enjoying her food and walks, and isn't in any discomfort we'll just look after her and deal with her accidents etc, she'll tell us when she's had enough, just as the others did. Now whether we'll be in any fit state I don't know - hubby is sleeping in another bedroom with her as he can usually get back to sleep after he's let her out in the early hours which I can't do easily, but he's gradually turning into a zombie!

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
We've been in this position many times as we've had quite a few dogs and had to make the hard decision many times regardless of what we want, its always what's the best decision for the dog that matters (smaller pets too) so are prepared for making the 'decision' if we need to, but whilst she's happy and playing, enjoying her food and walks, and isn't in any discomfort we'll just look after her and deal with her accidents etc, she'll tell us when she's had enough, just as the others did. Now whether we'll be in any fit state I don't know - hubby is sleeping in another bedroom with her as he can usually get back to sleep after he's let her out in the early hours which I can't do easily, but he's gradually turning into a zombie!
I know how it is. I've lost three to various cancers - the last was the Grey in my avatar to lymphoma at 8 years old. I spent the last night on the floor with him knowing what I had to do the next day. It never gets any easier. The Grey I had before him simply failed due to age - 14 years is good for any Grey and especially one that had been close to death from starvation when I got him. I spent the last couple of weeks of his life helping him when he needed to poo - he would try to squat but ended up sitting so an arm under his belly helped support him. He'd lost feeling in his legs due to spinal deterioration. Just old age & I called a halt when he couldn't stand at all.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
sorry my suggestion of Incurin can't help, my sympathy to Hubby I cant be doing with having to get up in the small hours, stayin g awake is one thing, getting out of a warm bed , waking up enough to take the dog out and then trying to get back to sleep again is the pits LOL. hope you find some medication that helps her soon.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well, Romy went to the vets today, she was there all day as they take blood samples every few hours to see how she's dealing with the stuff they put in her initially which tells them what's happening with her cortisol levels, they'll be analysing the results over the next day or so and will let us know the result. Nothing seems to phase her and they said she was totally fine, no fretting which we were a bit concerned about as she doesn't like being parted from hubby ... the vet told me that Romy was very generous and did a BIG poo which I assume was in the cage as they had to clean it up! :D2 That's my girl!!! :LOL:

She happily snaffled up her dinner and snuggled down in her bed when she got home ... now its just a waiting game keeping fingers and toes crossed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back