Current rabies scheme not good enough (1 Viewer)

Deleted User
We are planning taking our dogs to Europe in January so have been putting them through the old scheme. For this, they test that the rabies injection causes the generation of anti-bodies. It turns out that for one of our dogs that we took abroad last year that he doesn’t have the anti-bodies and wasn’t protected last year and this is not as uncommon as you would think. Seems like the current system is cutting corners. He has had another rabies injection and the test has confirmed he now has the anti-bodies.

Southdowners

Free Member
May 7, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Concorde Charisma
Exp
Since May 2015
Yes, we had the titre test carried out earlier this year and were told that it’s not unusual for dogs to fail as they don’t have the required level of antibodies.

I don’t think it’s because of cutting corners it’s just one of those things. It happens more often to puppies and younger dogs.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
i was very concerned when discussing this with the vet
I understood at the end of the discussion it was about the level of antibodies thats acceptable to DEFRA
the nearer the dog is to his next rabies jab the more likely to get a negative - ie not enough antibodies
but i felt reassured that a negative didnt have to mean the dog was not protected but that the level was too low for the Rules
it made sense to me that if he was due a rabies jab his anibodies were in need of a boost!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
It's not just dogs failing the test. Cats, though not quite as common a travelling companion, are also apparently failing left right & centre!
We were lucky (timing wise) to find out about the latest requirement due to the possibility of a "no deal" and had to have our Dougal (Persian cat) re-tested.
Luckily he passed.........much to the surprise of the vet, so it means IF we have a deal, we'll be leaving for Spain on 17 Nov but if there's no deal, we have to revert to the new test requirements (90 days before you can travel after a successful result) which means we'll be leaving on the 23rd Nov.
It's been a right pain in the backside (not to mention my wallet!) getting it all sorted.
Good job he's me best mate!

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP

Deleted User
To me, the test makes sense. The waiting 3 months afterwards is to make sure they don’t have true rabies in a country that is rabies free (almost) is going too far but guess it’s just the standard rule that applies to all non EU countries.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
And the incidence of rabies in France is?. I bet the risk is a very small fraction of you all being involved in a vehicle accident.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
If that bothered bring back quarantine, our dog came back hairless and stressed beyond belief. She was a docker poodle. No not the little delicate jobbies, although nothing wrong with that type whatsoever. She did recover but I do not want rabies here!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
To me, the test makes sense. The waiting 3 months afterwards is to make sure they don’t have true rabies in a country that is rabies free (almost) is going too far but guess it’s just the standard rule that applies to all non EU countries.
It's more complicated than that. Immediately after the vaccination the antibody level in the bloodstream is high but it then falls off to a minimum and at that point the animal's system should start making more antibodies, but this doesn't always happen, which is why the test is delayed. The test is to check the animal can generate antibodies in the long-term.

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Now we are fully resident in Andulucia the dogs have to have an annual rabies injection. My vet out here tells me it is because of our close proximity to the North African coast.
The pup at six months is now due for her first rabies injection and will get her Spanish passport.Although I am not planning on visiting the UK this year, I am wondering if I can get Lass a Spanish passport too for ease of future travel arrangements after the B..... thing, whatever the outcome.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back