Comfort breakdown cover and spare wheel (1 Viewer)

Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
I’ve just received the Motorhome insurance renewal from Comfort.

While checking the breakdown cover provided by DAS I noticed this at the very bottom of the list of “What is NOT covered”
I think this will be of particular interest for those that don’t carry a spare wheel and tyre !

WHAT IS NOT INSURED?
✘ Claims within the first 48hours after taking this cover out unless taken out at the same time as another insurance policy
✘ More than six breakdowns in one period of cover
✘ Breakdown of an unsafe or unroadworthy vehicle if
you knowingly drive your vehicle in this condition
✘ Breakdown of a vehicle which has not been routinely serviced
✘ Costs that exceed your policy limit of £300 for any one breakdown in the UK and £5,000 for any one breakdown in Europe
✘ Any breakdown relating to running out of oil or water
✘ The cost of spare or replacement parts, fuel or repair,
materials, replacement of broken windows or keys
✘ Costs you incur before we have agreed to cover your claim
✘ Any vehicle that can’t be recovered on a standard trailer or transporter
✘ Any caravans or trailers on tow that exceed 7.6 metres in length
✘ Any vehicle over 12 metres in length or 2.55 metres wide or which isn’t registered within the DVLA (or equivalent) as a motorhome, motor caravan, campervan or van with side windows
✘ Replacing a wheel if your vehicle does not have a serviceable spare wheel

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Personally I would not expect any recovery truck to carry any spare wheels or the means to even fit a tyre, it’s breakdown recovery that you are buying.
I carry a spare and the means to change the wheel if needed.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
All manufacturers/distributors of MH's even cars, should be aware of this detail, and not be allowed to offer just a can of gunge and a pump.
What would happen if you had a blow out on a busy motorway?, it would then cause further risks, delays while a suitable recovery truck was summoned.
I have had comfort insurance for years now, previous caravan,now MH and was not made aware of this, so thanks Spanner for making us aware of it now.
Others on here can maybe tell us if its the same for all breakdown cover policies, I know the Comfort one is The AA in the UK.

I wasnt aware of this UK breakdown limit either, seems pretty low in this day & age, so I guess we would have to pay ourselves for anything over the £300 limit
Quote:Costs that exceed your policy limit of £300 for any one breakdown in the UK and £5,000 for any one breakdown in Europe
Thanks Again.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 5, 2018
Funster No
MH
a
so for your £xxx pounds a year all you get (as long as you fit on the recovery vehicle haha) is recovery to your destination, a garage or your home and nothing more, basically.

So tell me exactly what's the point in paying it?
Surely a call to a recovery company will have you sorted in a similarly untimely manner as anyone WITH cover and those direct costs to you I bet wouldn't be any more than a couple of years premiums anyway..

Deleted User
When I rang about the spare wheel issue they told me the breakdown recovery would fully assist, however, the additional costs of getting the tyre repaired or replaced was down to me, which I would of course expect

OP
OP
Spanner
Nov 7, 2015
Newport, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
since 2015 previously caravaning 25 years
Personally I would not expect any recovery truck to carry any spare wheels or the means to even fit a tyre, it’s breakdown recovery that you are buying.
I carry a spare and the means to change the wheel if needed.

I totally agree with you, I would never travel without a spare wheel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
so for your £xxx pounds a year all you get (as long as you fit on the recovery vehicle haha) is recovery to your destination, a garage or your home and nothing more, basically.

So tell me exactly what's the point in paying it?
Surely a call to a recovery company will have you sorted in a similarly untimely manner as anyone WITH cover and those direct costs to you I bet wouldn't be any more than a couple of years premiums anyway..
Comforts breakdown cover is £64 a year for full European cover.
Would cost more than that for a call out let alone recovery costs which could be hundreds or even thousands depending where you are.

I'm happy to pay £64 a year.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back