Cleaned the roof....I think it may be its first time...!!! (1 Viewer)

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
Guys,

I am on a long journey to properly clean my new van....I decided to start with the roof.

The roof was absolutely disgusting....it took nearly 5 hours to clean it. I used a combination of weak TFR and autoglym caravan cleaner. It still required and very hard scrub and LOADS of elbow grease....must admit I was my shoulders where aching the next day :) .

Anyway it ended up looking like this

Ignore the few bits of leaf I took the picture a couple of days after....how do you guys clean under your panels ?

I have since read about using white vinegar so will try that next time .

New jobs are to clean and polish the entire van....1 side at a time.

Got a machine so won't be doing it manually ....I'm not totally crazy :) .

I want to give the van some love ....and bring her back to life a bit.

I will update this as I get on with it.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Mark740 nice job (y) I like a clean van so a little and regular,

You need to change your profile now that you own a MH.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
M

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
Change profile ? Martin what do you mean.. picture??

Yes I definitely like the little and often approach...the previous owners must have liked the never never approach. Genuinely I have never seen growth on a vehicle like that before.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Change profile ? Martin what do you mean.. picture??

Yes I definitely like the little and often approach...the previous owners must have liked the never never approach. Genuinely I have never seen growth on a vehicle like that before.
Click on your own name and then the tab that says "about" and you can fill in some details like motorhome type, just so we can all be nosey (y)

Martin

OP
OP
M

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
I can see the about tab but no option to edit it.

I know the forum has just had a visual makeover so perhaps a small bug yet to be ironed out.

I'll change it when I can.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I can see the about tab but no option to edit it.

I know the forum has just had a visual makeover so perhaps a small bug yet to be ironed out.

I'll change it when I can.
Sorry I sent you the wrong place click on your name and then "your account" at the top edit and save, good luck.

Martin

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
It’s raining cats n dogs here today, so should clean the roof a treat.
Your roof looks great and needed more than a downpour.
Phil

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
Good day to get out and squirt some cleaner about. It’s raining so hard here it’s practically a pressure washer.

I’m terribly sorry, it’s all my fault. I want to take the decals off my car (previous owner was a Disney fan. I’m not) and yesterday I idly thought that I’d wait for a scorcher of a day to help with softening the glue. So I’m afraid it will be cold and rainy for the foreseeable future.

Mar 15, 2019
Funster No
MH
AutoCruise Stardream
Exp
Newbie April 2019
Had the same problem, our was even worse than that and had catkins or summat that had decomposed and left yellow stains everywhere when water hit it. Had to take all our skylights out and clean around the hinges and seals and use a hand scrubbing brush to get the spots off. Took ages. Horrible job but looks a million times better now. Still got to tcut the whole motorhome as hasn't been polished for years and has streaks and dull where all the muck has run down the sides. Lazy previous owners

OP
OP
M

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
Had the same problem, our was even worse than that and had catkins or summat that had decomposed and left yellow stains everywhere when water hit it. Had to take all our skylights out and clean around the hinges and seals and use a hand scrubbing brush to get the spots off. Took ages. Horrible job but looks a million times better now. Still got to tcut the whole motorhome as hasn't been polished for years and has streaks and dull where all the muck has run down the sides. Lazy previous owners

I had to scrub the entire roof with the big brush, then again with a microfibre hand cloth, scrubbing and scrubbing. The lichen was bonded so hard it was incredible.....there was a good amount of moss growing too. How anyone can leave it to get like that is beyond me.

The algae under the panel is also very much bonded, it will need scrubbing and I cannot fit my hand under it. I was thinking about the patio magic stuff....i dont use it on the patio much so may as well try it on the van :)

BabsnPete

Free Member
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
Some people just cannot do ladders I’m afraid so I wouldn’t like to criticise!

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
To be completely honest, having kept the van in a field not visible from the house, and being vertically challenged, the state of roof never even crossed my mind until we moved, and you could see if from an upstairs window!

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
As I was doing the roof last Sunday, the ice cream van came around. We bought ice cream, and he said would I do his while I was up there!

BabsnPete

Free Member
Sep 28, 2015
Funster No
We’re the same, living in a bungalow. Ours is probably the same ?

OP
OP
M

Mark740

Free Member
Apr 28, 2019
Essex
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
1 month...and counting.
I personally wouldn't because I cannot see how the roof is constructed. It wasn't that difficult to reach it all and I'm not a big guy :) .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back