Choosing a bike carrier (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey advance 76-4
Exp
Any comments good and bad about the Thule sport G2 standard carrier ?To go onto a Bailey Alliance.

Jul 26, 2017
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 2016
I would check to see that it fits the bikes that you have in mind. My new mountain bike will not fit on my Thule rack (different model).

Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Just bought one that got delivered today, from eBay, brand new £205 delivered, cheapest I’ve seen it. The picture is for sport version but I confirmed with them its the elite version, and I can confirm today it is.
anyway looks like a nice bit of kit for the money, started to fit and then the rain came so will continue over the weekend 😎

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
J
Nov 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
Bailey advance 76-4
Exp
Thanks for the tip about the carrier length. My bike is 105cm hub to hub and the rail is 131cm, so it fits...just about, with most of the wheels overhanging the ends of the support tracks. The tracks seem too short for comfort!

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
What type of bikes? Many mountain bikes can have some quite chunky tyres. These may not sit comfortably in the width of some carrier tracks.

The carrier won't need to be the full length of your bike. It only needs to support the wheels in equivalent to where those wheels would sit on the ground. The top arm extending from the rack to the cycle crossbar will adjust (side) to allow a fixing, but those top arms only work with bikes having a crossbar. Step through bikes may need a different fixing onto the carrier.

Some bikes you may need to turn the handlebar 90 degrees to enable clearance from the motorhome whilst on the rack.

Think of mounting of the carrier. The carrier itself may have a weight rating, but what is it being fixed to? Make sure your MH rear wall can take the load and has suitable fixing points.

Most rear mounted racks aren't going to be suited to e-bikes as these are quite heavy. Think if you can lift, even a normal weight bike, to the rear mounted rack. This is why many will prefer a towbar rack mounting.

May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks for the tip about the carrier length. My bike is 105cm hub to hub and the rail is 131cm, so it fits...just about, with most of the wheels overhanging the ends of the support tracks. The tracks seem too short for comfort!
The bike rails only need to be long enough to support the wheels where they make contact but if they are too short then you should be able to get replacement longer ones (well, you can for Fiamma racks).

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
We have an Atera DL3 to carry 3 heavy MTB's one with 29" tyres and works well. Support tracks plenty long enough

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back