Camping disasters and good security (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Daughter currently touring with her family in South Wales having a wonderful time - not!.
First off was the 8 year old grandson who managed to fall off a climbing frame and broke his left arm in 2 places so it was off to A & E in Cardiff. At least he was seen very quickly but daughter was given the choice - surgery or manipulation !! Good job that she is a paediatric nurse so knows what she is talking about. Manipulation followed by plaster has hopefully fixed it but no doubt there will be follow up checks. The funny part of it was the video of him coming out of the drugs as he was finding everything hilarious. The same grandson managed to break both arms in one fall in 2015 so it's no wonder my wife is on edge whenever they come to stay with us anywhere :sick:

Back to their campsite - they settled down for the night only to be woken up in the early hours by noises from the back of the van. Husband duly woken up who then had to chase off some thieving toe rag trying to steal their bikes. One bike was off the rack but they were obviously trying to get to the expensive one at the back. Thankfully all 4 bikes had been well locked up with ordinary bike locks as well as motorcycle type D locks which is why the thieves must have made enough noise to wake them.

Advice:
Make sure you lock up your valuables at night - even on a decent campsite folks. !!!!
Think twice about taking injury prone grandchildren with you - you might get more than you bargained for :eek:

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I carry an expensive mountain bike fairly frequently. I tend to use 2 D-locks and wire loops to lock it to the bike rack. And because I'm paranoid, I also use a VanBitz alarm, which has an accessory security loop that I can loop through the bike, which will trigger the alarm if they break it.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
We always cover the bikes on the van, mines stupid expensive, but it looks like an ordinary bike covered up.
Always locked up with a really heavy 16mm chain and massive padlocks.
I made the cover out o& a heavy duty tarp from amazon

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
About 12 years ago me and a mate went to Le Mans for the race. We set up our tent and everything that went with it, then had a great weekend.
The race finished on the Sunday afternoon and because we had the Tunnel booked for the Monday morning, went into town for a nice meal.
Got back to the field at about 9 but couldn't find the tent. Looked around and thought that we must have been in the wrong field. Further searching and we realised that we were in the right spot, gypsies had come and nicked everything and I mean everything.
Subsequently found out that lots of race goers leave camping gear in the fields rather than take it home. The owners of the fields then turn a blind eye when gypsies come and hoover it all up.

Terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back