Buying our first camper - need advice! (1 Viewer)

enfys143

Free Member
Nov 1, 2020
Funster No
MH
Need advice!
Exp
We've decided we'd like a camper so that we can spend more holidays in UK. We need 4 berth and 5 belted seats as want our daughter and family to be able to use it. Initially our budget was around £25,000, but having spent this weekend looking we are now up to £37,000. We've been looking at Ford and Renault as seem to get more for your money i.e. extras included. We really like the seats on rails so that we can adapt the storage space. We have been told that double passenger seats can be uncomfortable - as unable to adjust the back, so we are looking at single passenger and 3 belts behind. There doesn't seem to be many vans with this combination coming on the used market - but definitely don't want to buy new. We'd appreciate any advice or comments. Very difficult at the moment as we are in Wales and lockdown - then England goes next week when we possibly come out! Many thanks.

Feb 4, 2016
West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B680 Starline
Exp
Long term a few years now.
:welcome4:

You need to do some research on payload its unlikley you will manage with a van at 3500 kg with the amount of people and the clothes,food,etc they will need.
Have you and your daughter got the correct driving license for over 3500kg ?
All questions to ponder before you spend your hard earned cash.
Best of luck with your search its a great idea you have (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Begin by looking at the whole market, the best starting point I know is at a Motorhome Show. Peterborough next April is one of the largest with a great selection of vans and types of vans to consider. You rightly start by considering the number of passengers to cater for. Dining, cooking. washing, sleeping and accommodating their clothing need consideration. Will you wish to be a traveller moving on at a moments notice or a static van on hook-up spending extended periods on campsites with facilities for all of your needs?
Good luck!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
4th year
Perhaps hire before you buy, most people change their vans before they find what they really need, it might seem expensive to hire but it could save you thousands.
Also worth trying different campsites at different times as well.

Upvote 0
Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Think about with the number of people you want to travel with, payload could be an issue so maybe one if you travels in a car too. The reason for this is extra load capacity and you will have the ability to leave the MoHo on site and use the car to visit places of site so you do not have to upsticks when you want to get off camp

Upvote 0

DumfriesDik

Free Member
Nov 22, 2020
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740GJ
Exp
We've just bought our first moho and like you, our budget just kept going up. Keep in mind weights and keep looking. It took us 9 months to 'find' the right vehicle for us.

Upvote 0
Jan 23, 2016
Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 660SP
Exp
25 years
All of the above is to be digested, especially the legal aspects of payload and licences.

Practical useage. I always found sitting in the potential purchase and imagining how it would work.

So sitting there I woulkd ask myself;

I want to make a brew, who has to move, what needs to be done to complete that simple task?

I want to have a shower? Same questions.

Half the family want to go to bed, a quarter want to watch the TV, the others want a late night snack. How will that work?

Before Covid 3A's located on the outskirts of the market town of Carmarthen in South West Wales.

https://www.3asleisure.co.uk/about-us/

Usually a wide range of vans and it used to be that they were not locked, leaving you free to wander from van to van without a salesperson tagging along. So you can sit down and give careful consideration to the interior layout and practical useage.

You may not find what you need but you will eliminate many designs that will not work for you.

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
All of the above is to be digested, especially the legal aspects of payload and licences.

Practical useage. I always found sitting in the potential purchase and imagining how it would work.

So sitting there I woulkd ask myself;

I want to make a brew, who has to move, what needs to be done to complete that simple task?

I want to have a shower? Same questions.

Half the family want to go to bed, a quarter want to watch the TV, the others want a late night snack. How will that work?

Before Covid 3A's located on the outskirts of the market town of Carmarthen in South West Wales.

https://www.3asleisure.co.uk/about-us/

Usually a wide range of vans and it used to be that they were not locked, leaving you free to wander from van to van without a salesperson tagging along. So you can sit down and give careful consideration to the interior layout and practical useage.

You may not find what you need but you will eliminate many designs that will not work for you.
What an interesting group of used vans at 3A's.

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. 👍. You mention Ford and Renault but these are makers of base vehicles. The motorhome is whatever is built onto that so can vary considerably. Before I got involved in motorhoming I would see motorhomes and think that they were much the same but once you start looking you realise they can vary enormously. Good luck.

Wyn

Upvote 0

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
I do wonder if there will be a post COVID glut of MH’s on the market next year. Might be worth monitoring the ads through Jan to April.

d

Upvote 0

DaveFromBarrow

Free Member
Sep 11, 2020
Aboyne
Funster No
MH
Apache 634
Exp
Since 2020
The OP was last seen on the 8th Nov so no Longer watching this thread 🤕
Agreed, but the beauty of a forum is the way they help others who perhaps feel nervous about posting. I imagine there will be many people who might benefit from this thread :smiley:

d

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back