Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Hi, Thought I'd share todays events.

Loaded up and set off all ok. Better half (and I'm mean that) says about 20 miles from home can you smell something odd, not sure if it smells like diesel or what. Could be clone wd40 spray I'd used on bits under the bonnet...…… …… …. Bit later errr think I can smell diesel too, will stop in a min and check...…. few miles up the road layby, YEAH woopy do, fuel filter very wet with diesel. :cry:

Ok will drive up the road and find a layby that's not being shredded by gale force winds and bits of tree.

At last find a safe place to stop AND dig out he breakdown details, (This is where it all gets ??????)

Ring number on bit of paper printed from AIB insurance stuff. Ok they said yes info logged, cant find your insurance cert number, call you back.

They called back, looks like your in the UK and called the European breakdown number, oops,, Lass on the phone said no worries we'll try and sort you out.

After a few call to & fro and call to UK section unable to confirm I have AIB recovery and yes we'll turn up but you will have to pay until proven otherwise.

Thought have Nationwide account, ring them. Very helpful Until mentioning we are 8.5m. Very sorry your classed as commercial at 8.5 we cant help. Thought we were ok with a roadside assist till then. Can't complain it clear in their T/Cs its 8m & 7.5 tonnes.

Thought, was once a member of RAC Arrival, ring them! On Hold..... Explained honestly have broken down. We don't turn out for non members broken down. Explained were on our way slowly and need to be up North By Wednesday to intern late aunts ashes (that's a whole other story) ok they said after a bit of a wait, we can help BUT a 3 hour visit/turn out cost £300. That's from where they start off. Hang on said I if they take an hour to get here and an out to return that's only an hour on site or worse and worse case scenario being 1.5 hours to get here 1.5 home, hello - Goodbye OR how about another £300)

In the Mean Time..... waiting for RAC call back.
Later Call back having found the correct recovery number said 4-5 hour wait in anycase (but not from / to)

DUG OUT THE LAPTOP with the last email and insurance cert from AIB Received via email whilst in the south of France last June) and S*** found they had duplicated the layout of their previous letter and just changed the phone numbers. Tight WAD here had decided nothing changed save ink and paper no need to print:sick:

On Laptop, Found new number and low and behold>>.. Ok will be with you within the hour they said, :h:0Mins later, Yes here we go.

Fired up the engine expecting fuel everywhere, nothing, :Eeek:
do we get recovered home, recovered onwards :Eeek:
do we say WTF and carry on:Eeek:.

Decided on the sensible & safe option, not stuck on M5 etc. take me home.

Recovery truck positioned for pick up, fired up again and started to move, Diesel everywhere.

Looks like fuel filter leaks when warm. (confirmed by starting and driving on to drive at home with no leaks)

SO...….. Moto of the story is.

Make ABSOLUTELY sure that you have the correct paperwork, phone numbers, Certs, any and all contact details etc etc.

Have to be fair all contacted tried to help within what they are allowed to do in house.

Now trying to find anybody able to repair/replace/supply a fuel filter housing asap Monday morning.

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Good luck, hope you get it sorted. You seem to be taking it in your stride!

OP
OP
RandallC

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Didn't feel like that at the time, given every avenue seemed to lead to an expensive outcome.

Must say response from AIB insurance inclusive recovery excellent WHEN I found the correct number, many thanks to Jake of ND Recovery.

Also impressed with Nationwide breakdown up to the point they said were 0.5m too big. NOT the help line fault She tried but back room said we don't fit their T/Cs.

fair enough, you get what you agreed/paid for but was worth a try as beginning to get a bit concerned.

Interesting that maybe ND do recovery work for Nationwide!!!

Very Very Glad this didn't happen whilst in France last year, getting a stone chip in the windscreen was enough.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
My advice. Carry a spare fuel filter c/w housing. It takes literally 5 minutes to fit it.

Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Best wishes on your travels, just about to leave in the next few days for our first real trip of the season. Thanks to you I WILL double check we have the right paperwork
Have changed the engine oil and filter but decided not to get involved with the fuel filter until I get the right tool and have time to pay attention. Apparently the plastic housings split very easily and according to Coastal Motorhomes thats the reason Fiat changed to a metal filter rather than a paper element on the later models
That reminds me of when the filter was last changed and I rang the garage from the ferryport complaining of the smell of diesel. Turned out SWMBO had tipped over the Fuel addititive bottle in the door pocket!
Thanks and best wishes

Mike & Ann

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
SO...….. Moto of the story is.

Make ABSOLUTELY sure that you have the correct paperwork, phone numbers, Certs, any and all contact details etc etc.

100% agree with that, glad you got it sorted, and also make sure you read every little piece of the terms and conditions....many times i have heard of 'free' recovery with bank account/insurance that turns out to be just towing to nearest garage, towing just off the motorway or not available for their vehicle

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 27, 2017
Perth
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since 2014
...agreed too. We only discovered recently that our breakdown company won’t turn out for a puncture unless we have a spare tyre. Up till now we have (reluctantly) travelled without one due to weight considerations.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back