Boiler thermostat dump valve unpegged? (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Due to the present and forecasted temps of -7°c, I have removed the peg that held the valve shut (up), but, pressing the valve down did not dump any water. The question is, will it only dump when the temperature drops? It's standing in a yard at the garage waiting engine repair.
Regards
Steph

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
If it is this type of solenoid valve, it should have opened at around 6 degrees, unless the boiler is on and feeding it a 12v supply, whereupon it remains closed.

1705488703764.png

By applying the old clothes peg trick, and at temperatures of -7 degrees, the damage to the boiler which the valve is meant to avoid, may well already be done. :( Obviously, I hope you have managed to escape that expensive mistake.

Whilst waiting for some time for an engine repair/replacement, why didn't you drain down anyway? 🤷‍♂️

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Sounds like it's frozen inside the valve already.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
The clothes peg trick should never be used.
Those valves open at +5c for a reason.
Replacement of a frozen boiler comes with a comma in the price.

The far better trick to use if you need to fill your tank in the cold and before you run the heating is to;
Put a hot water bottle in the valve area.
Much safer, does not matter if it's forgotten, and it will thaw any ice already there.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
As an aside, why do you keep water in the tank ?
I drain my tank after almost every use.

The only time I don't is in the summer if I know we will be using the van again within a week.

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Thanks guy's,
I was full time for 7 yrs up to November 2023, and never had a problem, I was booked in for a new water pump today, as water not getting delivered to taps, so that it's mt, might be a point. I was expecting to see the water tank mt as well, the valve did compress, so although possible, not frozen. I seem to recall there was a manual dump v/v there somewhere, unfortunately I had a Taxi waiting, so I was in a hurry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back