Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Back in 2007 I bought a cheap Garmin, it worked great, used it in UK & Europe, but it did not come with free map updates - it was still working fine when I sold it on ebay for £20

I then (2015) lashed out £70 in a new Garmin Nuvi with lifetime updates. I have used it In the UK & Europe without problems. It's simple, it works & when it stops working I'll buy another

One thing I always do, for longer trips, is to look at the journey on Google maps first, because I may choose to take a different route
I have mine set for 'quickest route' and generally it does just that. But it is important to understand that the routing calculations are generally simplistic, which is why I double check with Google maps

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Hi,
Over the years I have had several ‘big make’ satnav both fitted and ‘fit in’ and to be honest I still have seen nothing to beat the 7 inch xgody truck satnav - especially now they have a more English sounding voice over. Simple, been very accurate, never been where I shouldn’t have been and as cheap as chips. About £43 on fleabay and I store loads of music on it too.
Simple, cheap and efficient, great screen - updates easy and now no “loundabout ahead” or “you are exceeding the speed rimit” or even “you have allived at you destination” as the first ones were.:LOL:

Just my 2 pence worth.

Trikeman. ;)
Excellent advice but perhaps add a decent map (is there anyone out there who can still read one?)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Back in 2007 I bought a cheap Garmin, it worked great, used it in UK & Europe, but it did not come with free map updates - it was still working fine when I sold it on ebay for £20

I then (2015) lashed out £70 in a new Garmin Nuvi with lifetime updates. I have used it In the UK & Europe without problems. It's simple, it works & when it stops working I'll buy another

One thing I always do, for longer trips, is to look at the journey on Google maps first, because I may choose to take a different route
I have mine set for 'quickest route' and generally it does just that. But it is important to understand that the routing calculations are generally simplistic, which is why I double check with Google maps

Why not use google maps for navigation?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Excellent advice but perhaps add a decent map (is there anyone out there who can still read one?)
I always plot my routes using the relevant Michelin map, then download them using Mapsource.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I don't think you can (easily) download any routes created to your Garmin device..
I agree
But if you have a apple device you can use google maps on the move
The only thing I don’t like about google maps is that it doesn’t show speed limits

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I agree
But if you have a apple device you can use google maps on the move
The only thing I don’t like about google maps is that it doesn’t show speed limits
There are apps you can use on the phone to overlay the local speed limit on google maps, waze, and other mapping apps. One is called Velociraptor. The problem with the ones that I've tried is that they are all dropped when you use CarPlay/Android Auto. They are not Andriod/CarPlay compliant.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Currently using copilot on tablet. Found the Chinese one set for 'easy' routing great but has now conked due to poor hardware. Will probably buy another. Google maps good for cars but no weight height limits

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back