Before making an insurance claim (1 Viewer)


Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Funster No
hymer exsis
10 years
I notice a few threads about stolen vehicles and theft from Motorhomes.

Here's my two penneth for what it's worth. Insurance companies employ very clever people to promote their policies and give the impression that you are covered for everything.

They have even cleverer people writing the policies to make sure you are actually covered for not very much.

Before you make a claim be sure to read your policy very carefully. I'm not suggesting you nudge the truth a bit this way and a bit that way, but it makes more sense to understand the criteria that will result in a successful claim.

Just before I get down from my soap box, let me also mention accident claims. The Europeans tend to carry a document with carbon paper so that you can have a copy. It is filled in by hand and your copy will probably be illegible. Not only that the Europeans don't know how to write the numbers 1,2,4 and 7. Their handwriting is confusing and you need to make certain you have it exactly right. I suggest taking photos of driving licenses and insurance certificates. If need be write it down as they dictate and have them confirm that you have it written down correctly.

I learned this the hard way having been rather casual about the whole thing and needed google earth and facebook to get the real name and address of a very angry French lady who drove up my backside. I should have been a detective; very satisfying to piece together the jigsaw bits of information that I could decipher.


Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Since 2012
I can echo the comments the OP. Won't bore you with the details, but I got rear-ended by a French guy at the Pont du Normandie tolls.
(Before the eagle-eyed say 'lucky you' I'm talking about the MH! :D).
We duly completed one of those carbonised forms (Constat European D'Accident).

Won't bore you either with the long saga of the claim, but you may find it useful to know that you can get a form in English FREE from your insurance company. You can also download a form in pdf format from (though obviously, this won't have carbonised pages)

The advantage of the above is that the forms are produced in several languages. Even if you don't fill in your one, in the event of a minor shunt, carrying an English copy provides a direct translation.

Even though I can speak quite a bit of french, I'm not so good with technical terms so the form is ideal for translating the not-so well known words. I carry a form with me for in the MH for this reason.
Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
Also make sure that if you make a claim, how much will your premium rise next year. we made a claim via our household insurance (bought via the CCC. The total claim was £150 we had to pay the first £100 so the total pay out was £50. Just had a letter to tell us that it will going up £55!!!. Asked CCC to explain, still waiting for answer after two weeks!!


Subscribers  do not see these advertisements



Jun 5, 2014
Funster No
C Class
More than toes wet now!
Also take a photo of the form and damage to both vehicles (before they are moved if possible) making sure the number plates are legible.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Log in

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread