attemted campervan theft locally (1 Viewer)

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
There was a thread recently on a similar subject so i thought this might be interesting info.

first apologies that this information is third hand and i did not witness the event, but it is from a source I consider reliable.
and.... no one got gassed..:whistle:

talked with a mate this morning, I meet him often while on the morning Dog walk and chat.
He knows I have a motorhome and wanted to warn me about what had happened locally yesterday.

He told me that his brother inlaw who lives about 3 miles from us, challenged two scruffy looking men ( his discription not mine ) trying to drag a neighbours camper van onto the back of a make shift flatbed vehicle yesterday late morning.

He had seen his neighbour and wife drive away from their house opposite his in their car.
A short while later he saw the neighbours campervan being dragged roughly towards an old flatbed.

He thought it was suspicious and went outside and asked them why they were trying to drag it onto their truck with the handbrake still on.
He was told they were taking it away as it needed some work done, and that the owner had arranged it but had not left a key.
he was convinced this was a scam and a lie.

Pretending to be helpful he said that he would call the neighbours mobile as they had not long left the house and tell him he had forgoten to leave the key and get him to come back........

he took his mobile from his pocket and they very quickly drove away.

he confirmed with his neighbour that It was an attempted theft.

I do not know any more details other than the above. i do not know if number plates were recorded and given to the police or if any further follow up action was taken to locate the 2 men.

just goes to show how brazen some people are and clearly this had been planned.

just thought i would share the info.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
According to my insurers a common method of motorbike theft is that a couple scrotes in Hi Vis jackets in a van with temp magnetic sign-writing plates; something like 'Acme Motorcycle Recovery', lift the bike aboard and are gone within 2 mins. Steering locks don't put them off but maybe it would help if the bike was chained to a post......
The bikes are mostly stripped and sold as spare parts at autojumbles and on auction sites.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Nice to hear there are still some good people left .......well done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Caravans, are a regular victim of this type of theft, Again usually with the excuse. "going for repair". and "under Warranty" so we dont want to risk damage!.

They took our friends caravan, by strapping the Hitchlocked A frame to a stolen vehicle. that was 10 years or more ago. Never saw it again!.

I have been told that the reason so many FORD Motorhomes are stolen is for the Mechanics. Engines and Gearboxes, rear axles etc. find a ready market in the "White Van" arena. I guess the same would apply to any other M-H make based on a "Working" van? Fiat , Peugeot etc?

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
but maybe it would help if the bike was chained to a post......

Unfortunately they've started using battery powered grinders now, which will cut through a chain in less than a minute.
What would help in my opinion is lengthy sentences with hard labour.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Unfortunately they've started using battery powered grinders now, which will cut through a chain in less than a minute.
What would help in my opinion is lengthy sentences with hard labour.
Yes, that is true but an angle grinder would attract more attention and rather highlight that the removal was being made without the owner's knowledge or consent.
I have occasionally forgotten to remove my own chain which has been the subject of two of a series of cartoons that I produce for an old bike magazine.......

Chain. Final.jpg

Panic Final.jpg

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
Love your cartoons, I did the very same thing last year on my K100, luckily for me it was outside my house so there were no spectators and as i pulled away quite slowly no damage either :D

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Years ago as a yoof I agreed to do some overtime one weekend as I was a bit skint. Took my VFR750 into work, put the disc lock on the front brake disc as usual.

Had a rubbish day, came out tired and in a foul mood, got on the bike and set off - about 12 inches. Disclock smacked into the brake caliper and broke the cast bracket that held it onto the fork leg.

Overtime earnt - £102
New caliper bracket - £103. :( :mad: :LOL:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Years ago as a yoof I agreed to do some overtime one weekend as I was a bit skint. Took my VFR750 into work, put the disc lock on the front brake disc as usual.

Had a rubbish day, came out tired and in a foul mood, got on the bike and set off - about 12 inches. Disclock smacked into the brake caliper and broke the cast bracket that held it onto the fork leg.

Overtime earnt - £102
........and probably the world’s slowest ever high side........

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Didn't drop it but did have the slowest ever ride home, with no front brake!

Mar 24, 2010
stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
relay lwb pvc
Exp
6 years
When I was 16 I bought a 350 Goldie -it was a pig to start up and had the RRT2 g/box - and I used to "bump start "it .As I couldn't kick start it I took the top off the kickstart leaving the straight vertical shaft.I was outside my mates house and on leaving noticed a load of people at the bus stop opposite so being a show-off bumped it an gave it a load of throttle (straight through goldie silencer ) swung my leg over bike and k/start shaft went up my "drainpipes " then resulting in the bike going over with a crash right in front of them .Felt a right prat with them laughing at it.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010

Overtime earnt - £102

You should have stayed in bed and sent me a £1 :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back