Anyone use a projector? (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Thinking about trying a projector in the van, seem to be plenty around at £60-70, just wondered if these would provide anything worthwhile?
Could then have the equivalent of about a 40" screen, by projecting on the washroom dividing door?

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I saw one fitted in a new Rapido on sale at Brownhills. It had a rear lounge. It looked impressive but didn't see it on.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Thinking about trying a projector in the van, seem to be plenty around at £60-70, just wondered if these would provide anything worthwhile?
Could then have the equivalent of about a 40" screen, by projecting on the washroom dividing door?
At that price, you would struggle to get a decent picture - the image would not be bright enough unless the room is pitch black and it would be fuzzy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
I've seen those, I think an expensive option, but just wondered about a cheap onei nstead of the TV, probably uses less power as well?

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
At that price, you would struggle to get a decent picture - the image would not be bright enough unless the room is pitch black and it would be fuzzy.
That was my concern.

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
I've had one in my van for years, they are amazing.

See here-

Graydo

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Got one arriving today to try. Battery powered £150, hoping it will also work with a battery bank. Ordered a photography twisty white reflector thingy to maybe use as a screen.

If no good it will be going back.

Steve

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
I've had one in my van for years, they are amazing.

See here-

Graydo
What projector did you use? What was the performance like? Does it need to be pretty dark to use it?

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
What projector did you use? What was the performance like? Does it need to be pretty dark to use it?
It's a ZTE Spro2,
autofocus
Bluetooth
Wifi
Hotspot
200 lumens (with power)
12v
2.5-3hrs battery if unlugged (but only 100 lumens)

If you use a projector screen to display it on, it is almost too bright at night in a small van but in bright daylight at full power it is acceptable.

We tend to use the projector (including the one in the house) for "movie nights" to watch a blockbuster action movie and just the television catching up with the news.

Projectors in general don't have quite the same levels' of "blackness" as gas plasma televisions but are comparable to LED.

They are getting better all the time though, and it has been a few years since I purchased one and looked at the performance statistics.

Graydo

ps I purchased the Spro2 from America as it wasn't available in this country at the time, and it cost me just over £500 with import taxes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Bare in mind you have blinds in a motorhome, so you dont need a super bright projector.
Also the brighter they are the louder the fan. I see people buy super bright projectors and then run them on eco mode to keep the fan noise down.
As a guide for inside a motorhome I found the following lumens sufficient.

20 to 50 Only usable in complete darkness
50 to 70 if you are going to black out your van also you can use it in the day or fine at night.
100-150 sufficient to watch in not too bright daylight
150-200 good enough for daylight use unless its bright sun
200+ Good as long as no sun light on screen but beware of noisy fans the higher the output
All above scenarios can be improved by reducing the projection distance

I use a 100 lumens projector in my bedroom at home for watching in bed at night and its fine.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We were recommended to buy an Epson projector in our new house as best bang for buck, we re really pleased with it and considering one for next mh. Screen mounted on the bottom of the drop down bed?

OP
OP
Wh05apk
Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
Bare in mind you have blinds in a motorhome, so you dont need a super bright projector.
Also the brighter they are the louder the fan. I see people buy super bright projectors and then run them on eco mode to keep the fan noise down.
As a guide for inside a motorhome I found the following lumens sufficient.

20 to 50 Only usable in complete darkness
50 to 70 if you are going to black out your van also you can use it in the day or fine at night.
100-150 sufficient to watch in not too bright daylight
150-200 good enough for daylight use unless its bright sun
200+ Good as long as no sun light on screen but beware of noisy fans the higher the output
All above scenarios can be improved by reducing the projection distance

I use a 100 lumens projector in my bedroom at home for watching in bed at night and its fine.
Thats very useful, however I get the impression that a lot if the cheaper projectors massively over exaggerate the lumens?

Any recommendations? Rather pay slightly more and get something useable rather than cheap and use once.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Thats very useful, however I get the impression that a lot if the cheaper projectors massively over exaggerate the lumens?

Any recommendations? Rather pay slightly more and get something useable rather than cheap and use once.
Thats why you go for a brand like philips or optoma

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
We were recommended to buy an Epson projector in our new house as best bang for buck, we re really pleased with it and considering one for next mh. Screen mounted on the bottom of the drop down bed?
For household use you must go for 4k as on a big screen HD looks poor compared. But beware 4k needs good hdmi leads if running any distance. Also beware of fan noise, dont go by manufacturers fan noise on eco mode. If you are running a decent projector you want it running on optimal.

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Then you will want a sound system to match.
Im running an 11.2 system with a sub at the front and rear in my living room with a 2.5m electric screen.
Im looking to update my projector but cant be bothered with the hassle at the moment, I tried a viewsonic but the fan noise was too much and hdmi was finicky on my virgin media box.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have just bought a projector and 40 inch screen from Amazon.es and I am very happy with both. The moho has a rear lounge and its great having a 40 inch display instead of my 16 inch tv. Only received them yesterday and tried them last night, the picture is very good and you can size it to the screen (the image can go up to 200 inches apparently) and the sound is loud and clear though you can attach an external speaker. It also is compatible with my media player, external 2TB HDD and firestick and my tablet is MHL compatible so it should also play (haven't tried it yet though). I've attached screenshots, hope it helps.
Screenshot_2020-02-22-19-29-48.pngScreenshot_2020-02-22-19-18-17.png

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back